Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amended FCA1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 OnTheGame

Any idea what the main changes reasons for, and implications are for those who haven't filled one out in a while or before?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Section 3 Firearms Details

3.1 - Firearm Details (M) Complete 3.1, as follows: Record details of the new firearm, if; (A) you are applying for a new certificate for a new firearm, or, (B) you are substituting a newer firearm for a current one on a like for like basis.

Interestingly the following has been removed: (Record details of your existing firearm if you are merely renewing the certificate for it):rolleyes:

So here’s the beginning of the new structure, there is no more renewals, all my forty years history of firearm licensing is gone. I will have to make a new application every three years. :mad:

The powers that be are going backwards, every three years you will have to be processed and cleared again, more time wasting and wasting of taxpayer’s money.

The above and copy below section 3 / section 3.1 is invalid it applies to new applications, for New firearm – New Certificate for a new firearm – or substituting for a newer firearm for a current one. There is no section that covers people that already have/hold firearms and are already licensed for them. :(

Record details of the new firearm, if; (A) you are applying for a new certificate for a new firearm, or, (B) you are substituting a newer firearm for a current one on a like for like basis.

Someone has pulled a woodener again, I’m open to correction here, I hope I’m wrong. :confused:

Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

The only thing I can see that's different is section 3.5 the storage details section has been amended slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Look more closely folks..
    The odiferous "other" box is gone!!!:D In the part for refusals...That was the ultimate cop out box for the Supers.
    The grounds of refusal are down to "good reason","public saftey",or "fit and propper to posses" ..And they have to be specific now in those reasons.
    Also this only suitable firearm for the job reason now is to apply only to restricted firearms.

It's better, but could improve.
    Like getting this back to a renewal system every 3years rather than an application.
    An explanation as to why they need 4 pictures per application every 3 years. One set of four should be enough for unlimited applications!
    In Europe you give them one set of pics for life!!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Look more closely folks..
    The odiferous "other" box is gone!!!:D
    Wow, that's a major change. Every problem super out there is going to be solved now that they can't just tick one box and make the problem go away. Imagine, having to state on the form that you can't have it for a specific, hard-to-dispute reason such as rising gun crime in your area and concerns for your personal safety. That'd put the frighteners on even the most hard-core of those opposed to private firearms ownership.

Seriously Grizz? C'mon lad. You and I both know this is yet another lost opportunity. If the FCP had been running, you could have seen some *useful* changes in that form. Even in the small things, like changing the tickbox for "sights" to what it means (ie. "night vision/laser sights").

• Advertisement

Sikamick wrote: »
    So here’s the beginning of the new structure, there is no more renewals, all my forty years history of firearm licensing is gone. I will have to make a new application every three years. :mad:

The powers that be are going backwards, every three years you will have to be processed and cleared again, more time wasting and wasting of taxpayer’s money.
    I understand that on the foot of a request made by the FCP back when it was still running, there is a firearms renewal form in the works, and that when it's renewal time, it gets posted out to you pre-populated with your licence data from PULSE and you just take it to the post office, pay your licence fee and that's it done and dusted. We just haven't seen this announced yet, but it wasn't a secret.

Also, one for Grizzly and the others to contemplate, pointed out by someone else to me - you've noticed that the Super or Chief Super must now document his reasons for refusing an application.

Have you noticed or thought about the effects of the point that he now also has to document his reasons for granting an application?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Sparks wrote: »
    Even in the small things, like changing the tickbox for "sights" to what it means (ie. "night vision/laser sights").

Does this mean that you shouldn't tick the box if you intend having a scope on your rifle?

E. Fudd wrote: »
    Does this mean that you shouldn't tick the box if you intend having a scope on your rifle?
    Basicly, you should not tick that box unless what you plan to attach to the rifle is covered by the Firearms Act's definition of a firearm:
    (i) telescope sights with a light beam, or telescope sights with an electronic light amplification device or an infra-red device, designed to be fitted to a firearm specified in paragraph (a), (b), (c) or (e)
    The reason you have to tick the box for those (and for silencers) is that the Firearms Act says that those objects are classified as firearms in and of themselves, but they're usually not licenced as seperate firearms for the sake of "operational efficiency", as the Gardai call "getting stuff done" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Wow, that's a major change. Every problem super out there is going to be solved now that they can't just tick one box and make the problem go away. Imagine, having to state on the form that you can't have it for a specific, hard-to-dispute reason such as rising gun crime in your area and concerns for your personal safety. That'd put the frighteners on even the most hard-core of those opposed to private firearms ownership.

Ah! I take it you are being sarcastic??:p
    Seriously Grizz? C'mon lad. You and I both know this is yet another lost opportunity. If the FCP had been running, you could have seen some *useful* changes in that form. Even in the small things, like changing the tickbox for "sights" to what it means (ie. "night vision/laser sights").

True it is,and it isnt..So I'll be thankful for whatever smal crumbs fate throws us in the meantime..As I said it could be better.But as youself said it is a long marathon and not a dash .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I've also just noticed that you can no longer type in your information and print it off all nice and tidy any more what ever they've done with it.

• Advertisement

I applied 2 weeks ago and the sgt wanted to know why I had none of it filled out... It was typed in. It probably does make it easy for them to read if it's hand written in fairness, especially when there is some parts left blank when not applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I applied for a substitution nearly three weeks ago on the old form. Heard nothing since...am wondering if I'll be asked to start again. My mate did the same thing, and his FCA1 form for a substitution was returned to him the other day.

FdP

Better fooking not! Process is bloody long enough as it is!

Indeed, that's my worry. FO is back on tomorrow so will talk to her. Fingers crossed.

FdP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Like Sparks said, why in the name of God did they not change the wording of that "sights" box. It causes more feckin problems, it's unreal.

If you try to open it today it's saying the page cannot be found.
    They must be doing some work on it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭browning 12 bore

ill be getting n touch iwth me own firearm officer tommorrow as i heard something shocking
    i heard we all have to apply again farmers notes an all as well as new forms to go with it if so oh my g** that is bloody ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Under details of 'other medical practicioners' should I mention my proctologist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

i am sure that is for your psychiatrists address.
    Stupid section as there is no way the state couls afford to pay for reports to be provided for every single firearm application .

ill be getting n touch iwth me own firearm officer tommorrow as i heard something shocking
    i heard we all have to apply again farmers notes an all as well as new forms to go with it if so oh my g** that is bloody ridiculous

Friend of mine had that exact experience last week. Form returned to him to start over again.

I have the old FCA1 form (for a substitution) sitting on the Super's desk (apparently) in a different station to my friend and the FO is not expecting any problems with it ... we'll see.

FdP

• Advertisement

I am now 6 and a half weeks waiting for my substitution licence which I am aware has actually been granted. The Garda's Guidelines, which states a substitution licence should be dealt with in about 14 days ("When an application to substitute a firearm certificate is made – on the basis of ‘like for like’ – the process should be completed by the Garda Síochána in a reasonable time frame of approx. 14 days.") are apparently just that, guidelines, and of no significance. Makes you wonder why they have them in the first place then if they're to be ignored.

I received a letter two weeks ago - one month after I had submitted the application - to say they would make a decision in three months. So, the three months clock seems to start ticking whenever the FO bothers to getting to looking at it and not when it was submitted. In my case this was a month after I submitted it, or twice the 14 days recommended in the Guidelines.

A really frustrating experience and what I've written here is only the half of it.

FdP

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I am now 6 and a half weeks waiting for my substitution licence which I am aware has actually been granted.
    I feel your pain. We have a new FO who is still learning the ropes, and my last sub took 5 weeks. However on this point;
    I received a letter two weeks ago - one month after I had submitted the application - to say they would make a decision in three months.
    If they have sent you a letter, and are actually processing it as a substitution then the letter is a formality and license is usually issued within a week of receiving the letter. If you have not gotten the actual license tomorrow i would ring your FO, ask him to check PULSE, and make sure the license was printed. If not then ask him to request a print, and have it sent.

If he says they are still processing the application confirm it is being done as a sub, and not a full license application.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Spoke to a very helpful chap there. There is no reason a substitution cannot be done in c.14 days. The problem is local apparently. Which doesn't surprise me.

Licence is on its way.

FdP

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

I filled in this new FCA1, sent it in, in the mean time my FO (who's a gent) is off sick and there's a new Super in the station, so i'm looking forward to having my new o/u by the end of the game season :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

rgugliel wrote: »
    I filled in this new FCA1, sent it in, in the mean time my FO (who's a gent) is off sick and there's a new Super in the station, so i'm looking forward to having my new o/u by the end of the game season :(

I have the same problem as you and I also have the sights box ticked . It is only a little Tasco on top a .22lr I might have mine for next year

I understand that on the foot of a request made by the FCP back when it was still running, there is a firearms renewal form in the works, and that when it's renewal time, it gets posted out to you pre-populated with your licence data from PULSE and you just take it to the post office, pay your licence fee and that's it done and dusted. We just haven't seen this announced yet, but it wasn't a secret.

Just to point out that the prepopulated forms have now been announced...

Advertisement