Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS 5.1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Sarn

Ward670 wrote: »
    Having the "enable 3G" option is nice to have.

Hasn't this been an option for a good while now? It was one of the first things I switched off when I got my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Sarn wrote: »
    Hasn't this been an option for a good while now? It was one of the first things I switched off when I got my phone.
    It wasn't available on the 4S until now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sarn wrote: »
    Ward670 wrote: »
    Having the "enable 3G" option is nice to have.

It was missing from the 4S.

EDIT: Aidan beat me to it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Sarn

It wasn't available on the 4S until now.

Ah, I see. Strange that they had left it out for the 4S as it really does help with the battery. I think I'll wait a bit before I move to 5.1, just in case there are any unforeseen problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

reception has improved, where i work i now get 3 bars of 3g, before today it was full bars edge, also a notorious black spot on my commute where i'd get 1 bar of edge i now get 3 bars of 3g, very doubtful that meteor updated their network at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

My battery seems worse since i updated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yep, its up to 50MB now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Hi guys. I have both my iPad and iPhone 4s jail broken and when I try to update via the software update tab, it gets to the very end of the progress bar and then says an error occurred downloading iOS 5.1
    Anyone having the same issues?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

BanjoB wrote: »
    Hi guys. I have both my iPad and iPhone 4s jail broken and when I try to update via the software update tab, it gets to the very end of the progress bar and then says an error occurred downloading iOS 5.1
    Anyone having the same issues?
    Your hosts file was likely changed to direct away from Apple's update verification servers by your jailbreak software. In Windows open C:\Windows\hosts in Notepad and either remove or add a # before any line that refers to apple.com. I can't recall if you will need to restart the computer for the effect to take hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭ablelocks

reception seems to be better for me too.

altho' my wifi and bluetooth shortcuts from this site have stopped working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭stonybroke

kinetic wrote: »
    My battery seems worse since i updated

Have you a iphone 4 or 4s ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Your hosts file was likely changed to direct away from Apple's update verification servers by your jailbreak software. In Windows open C:\Windows\hosts in Notepad and either remove or add a # before any line that refers to apple.com. I can't recall if you will need to restart the computer for the effect to take hold.

I just tried there. There was no # in front the apple line so I added one but this doesn't help at all. I can't update either device from the devices themselves or via iTunes.
    I really hope I'm not stuck with this now.
    Has anyone the same problem??.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

ablelocks wrote: »
    Same here :(

Although I like the way if you open safari and don't have a page loaded it doesn't pop up your bookmarks. That used to annoy me everytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

irlrobins wrote: »
    ablelocks wrote: »
    Same here :(

Same here, although it looks like my battery has improved, almost 4hrs usage and 16hrs standby and I'm at 45%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

My battery seems to be alot better after the update

74%
    Usage: 4 hours, 10 minutes
    standby: 11hrs, 38 minutes

that was listening to music and streaming radio over 3G

though I keep getting a message about Facetime incurring charges from my operator, got it about 6 times now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Battleflag wrote: »
    My battery seems to be alot better after the update

74%
    Usage: 4 hours, 10 minutes
    standby: 11hrs, 38 minutes

that was listening to music and streaming radio over 3G

though I keep getting a message about Facetime incurring charges from my operator, got it about 6 times now....

Each one if those is an international text, bout 25c a pop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

BanjoB wrote: »
    I just tried there. There was no # in front the apple line so I added one but this doesn't help at all. I can't update either device from the devices themselves or via iTunes.
    I really hope I'm not stuck with this now.
    Has anyone the same problem??.
    As Aidan said, restart the computer or just delete any entries referring to apple in hosts. And reboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It feels like I don't have to charge it as often now.
    ip4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Anyone else noticing reception improvements? I dont know if I want to update and lose my jailbreak but if the reception has improved it may help my No Service issues and would be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭shanec1928

ill put those states to shame above :p battery life just droped to 98%
    usage 45 mins
    standby 4 hours 44 mins
    being on twitter most of that 45 mins and sending a few texts my battery was already good but the update has improved it even better.
    complete reset might give it some improvement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Celtxx wrote: »
    Anyone else noticing reception improvements? I dont know if I want to update and lose my jailbreak but if the reception has improved it may help my No Service issues and would be worth it.

Seems to be better, im getting 3G signal in my house now, used to get just Edge before FW5.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

make sure everything is backed up and try restore as a new phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Has anyone else's lock sounds stopped working? I have tried everything but since the update there are no lock/unlock sounds. I've turned them on and off thinking it might be a small glitch but unfortunately it has not made any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ward670

Celtxx wrote: »

Ive noticed that I get fairly consistent 3G at work now compared to nearly constant GPRS before the update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Might be worth an update then! I can live without SBSettings for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭stonybroke

Has anyone else's lock sounds stopped working? I have tried everything but since the update there are no lock/unlock sounds. I've turned them on and off thinking it might be a small glitch but unfortunately it has not made any difference.

Don't have mine switched on normally but just checked them now and they're working fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

stonybroke wrote: »
    Don't have mine switched on normally but just checked them now and they're working fine!

Interesting. I have tried all volume settings, ones for media and everything. I can live with them not being there just a little strange! I think my phone is a little glitchy compared to the 4 it replaced however so I'll plug it into iTunes and see how it goes before possibly sending it back. Thanks for your reply.

Advertisement