Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS 5.1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

if everything is set to sync all you will lose is texts, just make sure contacts and pics are synced first

all the apps will be in itunes so you just sync the ones you want, all the settings need to be set again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

I have an odd little problem. I updated to 5.1 and found that my wifi connection was dropping quite regularly. I also didn't have the "Forget this network" option in the wifi details. Every time the connection dropped I had to re-enter my password.

I tried restoring network settings, doing a full restore of the phone, a a hard reset etc. and nothing sorted it. Eventually I happened upon something I don't really understand. I changed the name of my router/broadcast name from Netgear to Netgear1 and the connection held firm, I had the "forget this network" option and I didn't need to re-enter the password.

Obviously I've found the solution but I wonder why it's happening and how I could sort it so I could use the name Netgear without those issues? It seems the phone has remembered the old name and now I can't delete it or forget the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

ablelocks wrote: »
    reception seems to be better for me too.

altho' my wifi and bluetooth shortcuts from this site have stopped working
    Very annoying that these shortcuts don't work any more on 5.1. :(

Absolutely unforgivable that apple don't have shortcuts/toggles for 3G/Wifi/BT at this stage!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just reading the above...

My FlashLaunch App is also not working now, ffs. :mad:

What is Apple's problem with adding an official shortcut???

They spend millions on ways to save battery life when people go around with BT and wireless on all the time as they're not arsed going through 14 taps and swipes to turn then on and off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Well the good news with this update is that I have seen quite a significant improvement in my phone signal. I am now picking up 3G in my house when I never could before. I have not used it long enough to know if the battery has improved which would be an added bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ward670

When you get an SMS for example, does your icon still flash in the lockscren? Does on my iPad but not on iPhone anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Cant notice any real differences on the 3GS, only the camera button on lockscreen really.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I have a 3G iPad 2 (with meteor) and after the update I found I was getting messages about exceeding my data allowance or not having a data plan.

It turned out the apn settings has been cleared by the update so if this is happening to you check your apn settings under mobile data.

For meteor it's just broadband.mymeteor.ie

No username or password necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

dub45 wrote: »
    I have a 3G iPad 2 (with meteor) and after the update I found I was getting messages about exceeding my data allowance or not having a data plan.

It turned out the apn settings has been cleared by the update so if this is happening to you check your apn settings under mobile data.

For meteor it's just broadband.mymeteor.ie

No username or password necessary.

Same here and I'm on eMobile, I'm being charged when I'm over 50mb a day when I should be on 2gb a month! I can't change settings as my phone is an emobile handset, so I had to call them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Okay, phone was on 69% battery when i downloaded the update (on the phone with now power attached) at 11.30 this morning. Wifi is on, had a 2 or 3 inute phone call and about 2 or 3 texts sent/received. Rest of the time it's been left locked with the push notifacations for Facebook, email etc etc on.

Battery life at the time of writing.... 64%

Now that's deffo better than what it was!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Updated my 3GS to 5.1 yesterday and the battery life has gone through the floor.

100% charge at 5pm today, unplugged it and by 7pm it was at 47% - no calls, no wifi, no apps running, totally on standby. Turned off everything that I found in the internet that said was a battery drain..

Seriously confused here.

This is only happening since I went from 5.0.1 to 5.1.

Anyone else getting this or am I just being peed on by the apple gods?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

Very annoying that these shortcuts don't work any more on 5.1. :(

Absolutely unforgivable that apple don't have shortcuts/toggles for 3G/Wifi/BT at this stage!

pain in the arse. im so annoyed at this. them buttons save so much heartache, plus the camera on the lock screen is fooked. how annoyiong

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lackagh1970

Since update my imessage keeps switching off and on all the time, driving me mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Dades wrote: »
    AFAIK, it just means the camera icon will always be available on the swipe screen - not just when you double-click the homebutton in lock mode.

Didn't know that you could do this. Have updated to 5.1 so when I double click the home button, I now get music player. Can this be configured anywhere?

Package wrote: »
    the camera on the lock screen is fooked. how annoyiong

dont press it, slide it up.
    Didn't know that you could do this. Have updated to 5.1 so when I double click the home button, I now get music player. Can this be configured anywhere?

you should get the music player at the top and the camera icon beside slide to unlock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I have no problems with the update and battery life has improved.

Seems the new camera shortcut is confusing a lot of people.

Maybe they should have put an arrow over the camera icon to indicate a slide required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

murpho999 wrote: »
    I have no problems with the update and battery life has improved.

Seems the new camera shortcut is confusing a lot of people.

Maybe they should have put an arrow over the camera icon to indicate a slide required.

I wish i could say the same turned the phone on this morning at 10am battery

showing 88% no usage what so ever, 2 and half hours later and it was showing

40% now at 6% 5 and half hours since I switched the phone on what a joke. Back to Apple it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lackagh1970

I have just brought my phone back to my operators shop and told them to send phone back to apple and only return it when it works, was so madddd

Steve wrote: »
    Updated my 3GS to 5.1 yesterday and the battery life has gone through the floor.

100% charge at 5pm today, unplugged it and by 7pm it was at 47% - no calls, no wifi, no apps running, totally on standby. Turned off everything that I found in the internet that said was a battery drain..

Seriously confused here.

This is only happening since I went from 5.0.1 to 5.1.

Anyone else getting this or am I just being peed on by the apple gods?

I had a similar experience and I sorted it by restoring it as a new phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

If I bought an Ipad2 now off the apple site would it have 5.1 on it? Also would a refurbished one have it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

brophs wrote: »
    I had a similar experience and I sorted it by restoring it as a new phone.
    Where would I start looking for info on how to do that?

I've already done a backup on 5.1 so that may not work...

It does seem to be related to having wifi turned on, if I turn it off the battery drain is not as catastrophic - but - I've no wifi and emails etc are arriving through 3G and that's costing me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Update has worked a treat for me and battery life alot better. Fully charged going to bed last night just turned wifi off....8 hrs later after super nights sleep check my phone still 100% battery....

No complaints here....:D

Steve wrote: »
    Where would I start looking for info on how to do that?

I've already done a backup on 5.1 so that may not work...

It does seem to be related to having wifi turned on, if I turn it off the battery drain is not as catastrophic - but - I've no wifi and emails etc are arriving through 3G and that's costing me.

Easy to do. Plug the phone in, right click on the phone name and backup. Then once that's finished click on the phone name and choose the option to "Restore". Let it do its thing and it will give you the option to restore as a backup of an old iPhone or as a new iPhone. Try restoring as an old iPhone first and see does it help. That way you won't lose any contacts etc.

If you end up having to restore as a new iPhone you'd have to change whatever settings you have on the phone at the moment as they'd be reset to factory defaults and add things like your email accounts again. You'd also lose your texts etc.

But before you do that make sure you have iCloud turned on and have your contacts saved online. Once you restore as a new iPhone you will be able to put them back onto the iPhone easily using iCloud.

Update has worked a treat for me and battery life alot better. Fully charged going to bed last night just turned wifi off....8 hrs later after super nights sleep check my phone still 100% battery....

No complaints here....:D

thats cant be right? :confused:

ok , my full battery after update was

usage : 6 hours, 9 minutes
    standby 23 hours, 16 minutes.

thats a mixture of everyting,

youtube, radio, wifi, emails, video. plaus, i have the screen brightness at half way

is that good?

Package wrote: »
    ok , my full battery after update was

usage : 6 hours, 9 minutes
    standby 23 hours, 16 minutes.

thats a mixture of everyting,

youtube, radio, wifi, emails, video. plaus, i have the screen brightness at half way

is that good?

thats fairly allright.

its amazing how much drain 3g causes. i've my 3g off since saturday till emobile suss out their 5.1 glitch, and i'm in wifi 95% of the time anyway, so with:

3g off, wifi on all the time, a typical amount of push notifications, gmail etc i'm at 57% right now and my stats are:

usage: 3hrs 17mins
    standby: 1 day 10 hours.

thats 37 hours from half a charge! before updating to 5.1 and switching off 3g i was lucky to get 26 hours from a full charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

My battery is noticeably worse since i updated my iphone 4 last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I always have to charge my 4 once a day. 3g on wifi off no bluetooth full screen brightness. Doesn't bother me, but it's just weird that some of you can get two full days worth of use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I was reading earlier that the update is giving false battery readings which might explain some the previous posts.
    http://en.rocketnews24.com/2012/03/09/ios5-1-update-turns-your-iphone-into-a-suspenseful-thrill-ride-by-only-sometimes-telling-you-the-real-battery-power/

Advertisement