Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS 5.1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

thats fairly allright.

its amazing how much drain 3g causes. i've my 3g off since saturday till emobile suss out their 5.1 glitch, and i'm in wifi 95% of the time anyway, so with:

3g off, wifi on all the time, a typical amount of push notifications, gmail etc i'm at 57% right now and my stats are:

usage: 3hrs 17mins
    standby: 1 day 10 hours.

thats 37 hours from half a charge! before updating to 5.1 and switching off 3g i was lucky to get 26 hours from a full charge!
    whats the emobile glitch, have you got a 4S?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

brophs wrote: »
    Easy to do. Plug the phone in, right click on the phone name and backup. Then once that's finished click on the phone name and choose the option to "Restore". Let it do its thing and it will give you the option to restore as a backup of an old iPhone or as a new iPhone. Try restoring as an old iPhone first and see does it help. That way you won't lose any contacts etc.

If you end up having to restore as a new iPhone you'd have to change whatever settings you have on the phone at the moment as they'd be reset to factory defaults and add things like your email accounts again. You'd also lose your texts etc.

But before you do that make sure you have iCloud turned on and have your contacts saved online. Once you restore as a new iPhone you will be able to put them back onto the iPhone easily using iCloud.
    Thanks for that.

I crawled the apple support forums for info on this as well and they were pretty much saying the same thing.

First thing I tried was to hard-reset a few times (hold down home and sleep till it re-boots) - no improvement.

Tried a 'restore from a backup' - no improvement.

Tried a 'restore as new' - this was interesting even though it wiped the phone, it reinstalled every free app that I had ever downloaded and since deleted - no improvement.

More trawling of support forums, found out why it did this and deleted all the crap I didn't want or hadn't used recently from the apps folder in itunes.

Tried another 'restore as new', didn't restore the original settings and set up emails and preferences again from scratch (contacts were synced with outlook so didn't loose them thankfully) - this seems better.

I've lost 3% in two hours since a full charge (with wifi & 3g on), prior to that I was losing >10% per hour on standby.

*fingers crossed* :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

"Setting time zone" in system location services is still buggy and frequently gets stuck and won't turn off. This has been destroying people's battery life since 5.0. It's amazing that half a dozen updates later Apple still haven't fixed it. I would recommend that everyone disable it if you haven't already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Steve wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I crawled the apple support forums for info on this as well and they were pretty much saying the same thing.

First thing I tried was to hard-reset a few times (hold down home and sleep till it re-boots) - no improvement.

Tried a 'restore from a backup' - no improvement.

Tried a 'restore as new' - this was interesting even though it wiped the phone, it reinstalled every free app that I had ever downloaded and since deleted - no improvement.

More trawling of support forums, found out why it did this and deleted all the crap I didn't want or hadn't used recently from the apps folder in itunes.

Tried another 'restore as new', didn't restore the original settings and set up emails and preferences again from scratch (contacts were synced with outlook so didn't loose them thankfully) - this seems better.

I've lost 3% in two hours since a full charge (with wifi & 3g on), prior to that I was losing >10% per hour on standby.

*fingers crossed* :)

Good stuff. At times owning an iPhone can be a pain in the arse alright. Another tip, if you haven't seen it already, is disabling the automatic time setting feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Cheers, yeah, I turned everything in location services off as part of trying to figure this out.

Edit: I had the timezone thing enabled in 5.0.1 and it wasn't catastrophic - I'm starting to think this was down to an installed app that just went tyts-up in 5.1 and started eating CPU on standby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

guil wrote: »

I have a 4s, a poster commented the other day that (on meteor) he started getting notifications of reaching his 50mb daily limit after updating to 5.1 which was strange as he had a bill pay data allowance. I got the same messages so I checked my online usage and sure enough once I was gong over 50mb I was getting charged. Thankfully I caught it early and am only down 80c or so. That was at the weekend and I informed eMobile who are investigating. I meant to ring them today but forgot. So my cellular/3G has been off until its fixed.

Just to add I'm now at 39% battery, 5 hours 25mins usage, 1 day 21 hours standby.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

guil wrote: »

I have a 4s, a poster commented the other day that (on meteor) he started getting notifications of reaching his 50mb daily limit after updating to 5.1 which was strange as he had a bill pay data allowance. I got the same messages so I checked my online usage and sure enough once I was gong over 50mb I was getting charged. Thankfully I caught it early and am only down 80c or so. That was at the weekend and I informed eMobile who are investigating. I meant to ring them today but forgot. So my cellular/3G has been off until its fixed.

Just to add I'm now at 39% battery, 5 hours 25mins usage, 1 day 21 hours standby.

I think you are referring to my post so just to clarify - I have a 3G iPad with meteor bb pay as you go I was on the 30 day plan and immediately after the update I began to get messages saying I had exceeded my allowance. It turned out the update had removed the apn setting😡😡

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

dub45 wrote: »
    I think you are referring to my post so just to clarify - I have a 3G iPad with meteor bb pay as you go I was on the 30 day plan and immediately after the update I began to get messages saying I had exceeded my allowance. It turned out the update had removed the apn setting😡😡

Yeah that must have been it. Poor eMobile, since I've been with them my only hassles have been the 3G connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

2qk4u wrote: »
    I was reading earlier that the update is giving false battery readings which might explain some the previous posts.
    http://en.rocketnews24.com/2012/03/09/ios5-1-update-turns-your-iphone-into-a-suspenseful-thrill-ride-by-only-sometimes-telling-you-the-real-battery-power/

Before i done a new phone restore yesterday my battery was giving crazy

readings at one stage it went from 1% to 3% to 5% back to 1% all in the space of 5

mins. So far since the new restore im showing 4hrs 29mins Usage and 18hrs

21mins standby not great but better than yesterday.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dub45 wrote: »

Yeah that must have been it. Poor eMobile, since I've been with them my only hassles have been the 3G connection.

I'm sure that apn thing would catch a lot of people. I stupidly didn't associate the message with the update as the last time I updated it didn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I'm liking 5.1 so far, just realised that my phone seems to be operating much faster. It's a 3GS and it was slow as a dog running iOS 5 and was actually pretty irritating at times. i.e: I'd press the sleep button on the top and I wouldn't hear the click for about 5 seconds, or I'd type in my passcode and only one digit would register, followed by a pause, with the other three following really quickly one after the other about 5 seconds later.

Everything is back to normal. Two thumbs up so far then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I updated to 5.1 last night. It looks like iMessage isn't working for me now :(. I went to settings, entered my Apple ID password, but it isn't activating, it's just stuck on "Waiting for activation" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lackagh1970

BDJW..that happened me last week and it kept charging me each time I activated, its gone back to three for repair

BDJW..that happened me last week and it kept charging me each time I activated, its gone back to three for repair

It charges each time you activate iMessage?
    I entered my password for facetime and it activated in a couple of seconds.
    I just sent a message to my girlfriend and it's still sending as a text and not an iMessage. And she is in 3g coverage. However, I just sent a message to myself and it sent as an iMessage :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

pain in me hole with the 4S, battery is rubbish and after calling apple they suggested i shut off basically all location services except find my iphone, even said not to use siri(which is the stand out feature).

upgraded to 5.1 and noticed minor improvement in battery, i travel around europe with work a lot and unlike my old 4 the 4S does not automatically change the time zone. So im back to wearing one of those watch things in case miss a flight!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just a thought - isn't iMessage dependent on the recipient having it working too?

Maybe there's an issue with connecting between people with different versions of iOS...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

imessage works for me with one mate and not the other, not sure why yet.
    I have free texts so didn't worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Is it my imagination or did 5.1 reduce the volume of the phone when it rings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

mad muffin wrote: »
    Is it my imagination or did 5.1 reduce the volume of the phone when it rings?

I noticed that too.

Nevermind, I got sorted. Girlfriend had updated her software too, but hadn't re-entered her iMessage password!!

• Advertisement

The recepients on mine had upgraded their ios so it was a problem with the phone, anyway its gone back for repair and hope they sort it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Ur[s]uS

pain in me hole with the 4S, battery is rubbish and after calling apple they suggested i shut off basically all location services except find my iphone, even said not to use siri(which is the stand out feature).

upgraded to 5.1 and noticed minor improvement in battery, i travel around europe with work a lot and unlike my old 4 the 4S does not automatically change the time zone. So im back to wearing one of those watch things in case miss a flight!!

For time zone, check:

Settings - General - Date & Time - Set Automatically - On/Off

Alternatively, manually choose your time zone. I guess this might save the phone from polling the network for time zone details, saving you some battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

i noticed the latest update has put a camera icon on the locked screen - anyone know how to remove this?

thanks.

Will.

Will23 wrote: »
    i noticed the latest update has put a camera icon on the locked screen - anyone know how to remove this?

thanks.

Will.

There is now way to remove it afaik. However, unlike the previous software, you need to slide it up rather then just tap on it to get the camera open, so you won't tap on it accidently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

I've been having wireless connectivity issues since the update. I've restored a number of times, reset the network connections and done everything imaginable to sort it. Basically my connection was dropping intermittently and then asking me for the password again when I'd go to reconnect. I also didn't have the 'Forget this network' option.

What eventually solved the latter issue for me was changing the SSID on my router. I was able to connect and see the 'Forget this network' option then. But the connection drops eventually came back so I'm left with a wireless connection that keeps dropping.

A lot of people online seem to be having the same issues and a few have contacted Apple who say they're aware of the issue but offered no solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I installed iOS 5.1 on my 4s this morning and since then my iMessage hasn't been working.
    I switched it off and on again in settings and it says it's activated but still no joy. I rang meteor and they said its nothing to do with them so I rang apple and he said because I'm outside my 90 day support period it'll cost me €25 for him to help me. I said no thanks!
    He said he'd send me a support email and that should have details on how to fix the problem. I looked through the email and it didn't help one bit. What a joke.
    Anyone sort this issue yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Is your phone number showing up in the iMessage settings area? And is your number at settings-phone-my number?

I had this problem with meteor also and they are no help. I fixed it myself, apple were no help either. Let me know the above and I'll see if it's the same problem as mine was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Is your phone number showing up in the iMessage settings area? And is your number at settings-phone-my number?

I had this problem with meteor also and they are no help. I fixed it myself, apple were no help either. Let me know the above and I'll see if it's the same problem as mine was
    Yeah my number is showing up in both areas.
    I thought it was a case of me trying to txt someone who hasn't updated to 5.1 but my gf updated hers yesterday so it's not that.
    Cheers for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Having the smae problem with mine. Keep getting the below pop up (10 times a day approx) and it keeps saying my number is 'verifying'

AoBhA-TCIAMWIa3.png

• Advertisement

Catch, that is exactly what happened me last weekend, am going mad waiting each day to see if they have repaired my phone to have it working again

Advertisement