Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are The Irish A Nation of Non-Stop Complaining Moaners?

• 08-03-2012 4:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Seriously what is with that traditional depressing Irish attitude that "oh jaysus Ireland is the wurst bleedin cuntry in de wurld". It seems as if it's some sort of cultural norm here.

Everywhere I turn, everyone I talk to I hear the same moronic uneducated responses:
    "DIS PLACE IS A KIP IM MOOVIN TIH AUSTRALIA ITS MUCH BETTAR OVER THERE ITS ALWAYS SUNNY AND THE DONT HAVE IH RECESSION COS FIANNA FAIL"
    "Ireland is ****ed it's dih wurst place the live, wurst everythin"

These might be extreme examples from less-intelligent people but the attitude is an undercurrent in almost every conversation relating to the country.

I'm far from a patriot but do Irish people not realise that their nation consistently ranks among the happiest, most free, most developed countries in the world. For it's size and history Ireland is a great country. We're a highly educated, civilised, democratic western nation with a (still) large GDP per capita. There are 1000's of vacancies in the IT sector alone in Ireland and companies are now looking abroad to fill skill gaps. The vast majority of Irish people still live healthy, safe and comfortable lives. You might say you're broke but you're not. Google the word "poverty".

The media seem to thrive on it and they almost seem delighted about the recession so that they have something negative to print. Endless recession talk does no good for anyone, emotionally or economically. Even during the Celtic Tiger it was exactly the same. They couldn't moan about the economic situation so they found other things to moan about. Still the same endless complaints about everything, failing to see anything positive in their lives.

Stupid negative depressing Irish attitude which gets us nowhere besides more miserable. I blame Catholicism.

</rant> Feel much better now. Go ahead destroy me emotionally AH.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

I think the answer is no.

I know, I'm so goddamn negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

No, everyone complains, all over the world. We just notice it more when our own do it.

Now there might well be a a slightly higher proportion of Irish people complaining these days, but I think, given our circumstances, it's understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

Jaysus, dis is da worst bleedin thread on boards. I blame carlmangoism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

just smile,it confuses people ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I wish we acted more on our great idea's as we are a great people but we settle for 2nd best far too much.

Seeing as we are all on the internet i think the lack of ISP's in Ireland and how bad broadband is in the sticks is a fine example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

My head is about to explode with the amount of irony in that post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

It ever this was needed it's now OP.

Ah sure it'll be grand.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Are The Irish A Nation of Non-Stop Complaining Moaners?

Go ahead destroy me emotionally AH.

Yore Ma is anyway. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

. You might say you're broke but you're not. Google the word "poverty".

Google the words ''living on an over-draft''.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭JoeGil

Yes, Ireland is one of the best off countries in the world but judging by the amount of moaning you hear recently you could certainly be excused for thinking otherwise.

The current barrage is driven mainly by a media desire for sensation and quotas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

No, everyone complains, all over the world. We just notice it more when our own do it.

yep every country has moaners.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Yeah and I did a course on positive thinking and going into the course I already knew it wouldn't work and I was right, it didn't and I am still moaning about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I think everyone complains about their country, not just the Irish. It's easy for people to praise other nations because they don't live in it all the time, so they don't really know what it's like. But if you lived somewhere your whole life. Sooner or later, something's about to get to you. Dosen't just have to be an economic problem, or the state of the country that causes people to complain here. It can be anything, same goes for Britain, France, Italy etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

The weather doesn't help jack shit. Unpredictable, miserable weather.

Yakult wrote: »

ah shut up! :(ya moaner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Turn off TV, use internet sparingly, pick up hobby e.g. acoustic guitar and immerse yourself in it.

All basic stuff, but so few actually do it, and you guessed: talk and moan about it!

People who want to emigrate and do nothing but moan and groan, will be the exact same in another country. Its not a geographical problem(unless its a family issue), its an attitude problem. They carry that with, people generally stay consistent

Also stop watching the news (seriously), i was once a total junkie for and it gets you nowhere, if something genuinely important is happening; you'll hear about it! And I hope your friends would have the decency to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

The weather's not so bad, relatively speaking. It may be a constant in terms of drabness but we don't get extremes. I'm okay with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He's by far the biggest moaner in the country, nothing's ever good enough for him. He was a dick during the boom years.

ah ya can't beat a good ol'moan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Everywhere I turn, everyone I talk to I hear the same moronic uneducated responses:
    "DIS PLACE IS A KIP IM MOOVIN TIH AUSTRALIA ITS MUCH BETTAR OVER THERE ITS ALWAYS SUNNY AND THE DONT HAVE IH RECESSION COS FIANNA FAIL"

You hang around with idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah there is a lot of whinging by people who do not know how good they have it and who seem to be far more vocal than those who are in dreadful circumstances now and have far more of a reason to moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Attabear

It's nice today though.

Oh look, a half full glass!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

The only thing I complain about these days is not being able to come home :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

What amazes me is that we have 450,000 people without a job in Ireland that are complaining (rightly so!) Then when it comes to marching in protest, we get 5,000 or so...or a few hippes camping in Dame street...

No point in moaning if you are not going to do anything about it. Even if 100,000 out of the 450,000 unemployed marched in protest in Dublin that would be a good result and prehaps make the news...Nope not in Ireland, kick back in the tracksuit, drink tea and give out from their leather recliners....

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

I'd gladly take our weather over, extreme heats or colds, natural disasters etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Nope not in Ireland, kick back in the tracksuit, drink tea and give out from their leather recliners....

Ah the attitude that ruined the League of Ireland...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Example 1: Financial crisis

"Yar yar the banks ruined this country, I hate the banks, jail the banker, people should protest yar yar"

Cue Occupy Dame St.

"Yar yar, state of those protestors, they look like hippies, they should be be stopped from protesting, I'm starting to side with the banks yar yar"

Example 2: Irish Celebrities

"Yar yar i hate when the British media call Irish musicians/sports people British when they're Irish, I love seeing Irish people getting recognised, I love seeing Irish talent in Hollywood yar yar"

Cue U2's rise to fame and Glen Hansard's rise to internation fame

"yar yar I hate Bono, I hate U2, Bono is so full of himself, Bono is such a do gooder, Bono is so rich and wants to pay as little tax as possible, Glen Hansard is so full of himself, Glen Hansard thinks he's great going to the Oscars, I preferred Glen Hansard when he was just with the Frames and no one knew who they were, yar yar."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Didn't he have a brother called Bull? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

My gf is brazilian and she is constantly amused at how the Irish are always surprised when the Irish weather is bad - like we expect it to be a balmy 25 all the time and there is something seriously strange going on when its not. We are Irish, living in Ireland, with Irish weather...and STILL complain and act surprised when it is as bad as it has always been :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I don't find Irish people to be particularly moany if i am honest.

If you focus on the internet everyone is a moany prick.

In real life i rarely hear people moaning about pointless ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Dr Expired

As for all the talk about 'the fighting Irish' and our 800 year fight for freedom etc etc, the truth is that the Irish are a weak race of people.
    Its a small part of the reason why soo many died during the famine.
    Its a large part of the reason why we are in the current economic mess.

I dont even blame the English. The Irish Kings pre-invasion were back stabbing and weak as piss.

I think the reason the Irish are complaining moaners is based on ancient clan structures that existed and still exist today between different counties.

Dr Expired wrote: »
    As for all the talk about 'the fighting Irish' and our 800 year fight for freedom etc etc, the truth is that the Irish are a weak race of people.

The Fighting Irish was a nickname for a unit of the US Army compossed primarily of Irish recruits and was then co-opted by primarily Irish units in assorted military campaigns all over the world. Have a read up on the Fenian Army in North America and their attempts to, i **** you not, take over Canada and swap it with the English for Ireland.

It has **** all to do with a nickname of the general populace of Ireland and you pretty much look like an idiot for thinking it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

What amazes me is that we have 450,000 people without a job in Ireland that are complaining (rightly so!) Then when it comes to marching in protest, we get 5,000 or so...or a few hippes camping in Dame street...

No point in moaning if you are not going to do anything about it. Even if 100,000 out of the 450,000 unemployed marched in protest in Dublin that would be a good result and prehaps make the news...Nope not in Ireland, kick back in the tracksuit, drink tea and give out from their leather recliners....

Perfect example of what I'm talking about. I failed to mention that no one seems to actually want to do anything but complain. AAACK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    My gf is brazilian and she is constantly amused at how the Irish are always surprised when the Irish weather is bad - like we expect it to be a balmy 25 all the time and there is something seriously strange going on when its not. We are Irish, living in Ireland, with Irish weather...and STILL complain and act surprised when it is as bad as it has always been :p

Bastard.

The Fighting Irish was a nickname for a unit of the US Army compossed primarily of Irish recruits and was then co-opted by primarily Irish units in assorted military campaigns all over the world. Have a read up on the Fenian Army in North America and their attempts to, i **** you not, take over Canada and swap it with the English for Ireland.

It has **** all to do with a nickname of the general populace of Ireland and you pretty much look like an idiot for thinking it does.
    You missed or ignored the context i used the saying for.
    As for calling someone a idiot for not knowing the historic meaning of a nickname, well, that says more about you than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

the truth is that the Irish are a weak race of people.

Its a small part of the reason why soo many died during the famine.
    What a murderously racist comment to make. Who are you a re-reg of?

You missed or ignored the context i used the saying for.
    As for calling someone a idiot for not knowing the historic meaning of a nickname, well, that says more about you than me.

What does the context have to do with it? The context you used it in is completely incorrect. That's really all there is too it.

Secondly, if you are going to use a "nickname" as a point of validation for your post do you not feel it is important to understand it's historic meaning? Or is it perfectly fine to just post whatever comes into our head at the time without needing to at least attempt to structure a reasonable argument?

A such i happily stand by my opinion that your original post makes you look like an idiot. I reckon that point is rather hard to dispute and your wishy-washy "I know i said things and mentioned things that i have no clear understanding of and the only defence i can think of is to highlight the incorrect context in which i used them" replies simply don't cut the mustard.

Nope, that dog won't hunt Monseigneur.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I would say yes.

What does the context have to do with it? The context you used it in is completely incorrect. That's really all there is too it.

Secondly, if you are going to use a "nickname" as a point of validation for your post do you not feel it is important to understand it's historic meaning? Or is it perfectly fine to just post whatever comes into our head at the time without needing to at least attempt to structure a reasonable argument?

A such i happily stand by my opinion that your original post makes you look like an idiot. I reckon that point is rather hard to dispute and your wishy-washy "I know i said things and mentioned things that i have no clear understanding of and the only defence i can think of is to highlight the incorrect context in which i used them" replies simply don't cut the mustard.

Nope, that dog won't hunt Monseigneur.
    Hogwash

Hogwash

And it's ignore button time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement