Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

300mm cavity wall tie

Options
  • 08-03-2012 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi all. I am having trouble locating wall ties for my cavity wall. I have googled the daylights out of it and not much turned up. It is going to be 300mm cavity pumped with Certainfil Graphite 27 plus. Any ideas where to locate these and maybe if possible a price? Will I need a certain type with the insulation I am using?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MacOwen

Check out this website dunno if it will do ya or not; http://www.vistaeng.co.uk/Wall%20Ties/Masonry%20to%20Masonry%20Wall%20Ties/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

PM sent - company based in wicklow makes them

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tippman3

fclauson would you mind sending me a pm also please

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

fclauson wrote: »
    PM sent - company based in wicklow makes them

Fclauson,
    Could I also get that info. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 portwest

fclauson, would please send me a pm also

• Advertisement

I should get discount from these guys as I am about to buy a few hundred my self

PM sent to all who asked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

Am open to correction but I understood the only certified tie for this size cavity is the teplo tie. This tie also avoids cold bridging as it has a coating that forms a chemical bond with the mortar. but this is made in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭beyondpassive

Wicklow made stainless steel wall tie for wide cavity, not as thermally broken as the Basalt ones but can be installed in cold weather.
    http://s1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg516/Beyondpassive/?action=view&current=Roundwoodwidecavity.jpg

?action=view&current=Roundwoodwidecavity.jpg

now we are not allowed to give any sort of engineering advice here - and the following is just my input but the following was received by me when I asked for advice on wall ties.

The Irish code of practice for the use of masonry IS325 refers us to IS268 for guidance on wall ties. IS268 only covers cavities up to 150mm so for present day practices where cavity sizes can reach 300mm we are guided by the British Standard BS5628-1 - 3 2005.
    Clause 25.2.4 selection and strength of wall ties. This clause refers us to Table 6 for guidance on the selection of ties for normal application. Wall tie user categories Types ,2,3, 4 as stated in Table 6 are defined in Table C2. Functional sections and the minimum declared tensile and compresive load capacity is given in Table C3 as can be seen from the performance figures given on our web site. The **** vertical twist wall tie meets the requirements of a Type 1 wall tie using mortar class and designation type M2 (iv). Type 1 wall ties are suitable for buildings any where in the British Isles i.e. where the basic wind speed may be up to 56m/s.
    The overall length of the tie for a 200mm cavity should be 350mm long and for a 250mm cavity 400mm long.
    The density of ties should be 3 per square meter on the main body of the wall plus extra ties around all openings. These should be placed on every course in the vertical.
    Your architect should be able to look up BS5628 and verify the above informaiton.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Given the cavity is now 300mm not 100mm, is the thermal properties of the tie lesss important? i.e. the cold has an extra 200mm to travel to bridge the cavity. If it's a full fill cavity does this help reduce the bridging effect along the wall tie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Rock12

Would you please pm the details if the company in Wexford doing the 300mm cavity wall ties!?

done

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭JD6910

can you PM me too please!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

I would appreciate this information too if you would be as kind. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I would appreciate this information too if you would be as kind. Thanks
    Did you ever hear of sending a PM? You should try it sometime.

Thread locked as its serving no purpose at this stage other than receiving "lazy" posts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement