Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending Travel Insurance.

• 08-03-2012 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I have been in Australia for the last year and took out a 1 year policy with www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie . I had a problem with my back where i needed surgery and i have fully recovered now.

But when i called them to extend my policy they said they had to refer to the underwriter before any mention of previous claims from them in my first year. Which i found strange because when i originally took out the policy i could have done so for 2 years only there was a problem with the website that day and they told me just renew it before it expires this year.

So then they asked me to email them all the details about my claims before they referred to the underwriter, which i did. Now the underwriter says they will cover me for another year for few quid more which i dont mind but that anything to do with my back will not be covered.

I assumed that since i was only extending the policy that my condition would have just continued over to the next year like most health insurers do. And also if i had originally took out 2 years would it be the same story or would it all be the same policy.

So just wondering if anyone has had experience with something like this or know if they have the right to do this or are they just chancing there arm ?because from dealing with them over the last year they have been tough to deal with but at the end of the day i know they can probably just refuse me insurance if i challenge them with anything.
    Any help appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Its standard practice. You aren't extending the policy - you are renewing it. As such you have to declare any pre-existing medical condition which this is. And then most insurers will exclude it which is what is happening to you now.

You won't find an insurer that will cover you and yet allow you to take out a policy as you have to be resident in ireland whilst incepting cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fanta2009

Well they keep referring to it as extending when i say renew but thats not the point, the good news is that i challenged them on it and basically said it should be considered a continuous condition and should be looked at the same way it would be looked at if i had the 2 year policy from the beginning. So they then agreed to cover it. Really needed something covering my back for my 2nd year as I originally cancelled my VHI before i left and of course i got injured so paying my VHI at home again now to build up my 5 years pre existing condition.

Once you are comfortable being in breech of VHI terms and conditions that fine. Thats a moral choice.

Well thats just your presumption without really knowing the facts or even asking about my VHI policy, but if you can elaborate then go ahead.

So you went onto the VHI Global product right?

• Advertisement

Yes Thats the policy i have.

then you're fine so.

Yes that was already known, it was a moral choice, just have your facts right before you accuse anyone of breaking term and conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tourism

peteb2 wrote: »
    Its standard practice. You aren't extending the policy - you are renewing it. As such you have to declare any pre-existing medical condition which this is. And then most insurers will exclude it which is what is happening to you now.

You won't find an insurer that will cover you and yet allow you to take out a policy as you have to be resident in ireland whilst incepting cover.

You don't have to be resident in Ireland while incepting cover. There are companies that will provide cover. World nomads for example!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tourism

fanta2009 wrote: »
    Well they keep referring to it as extending when i say renew but thats not the point, the good news is that i challenged them on it and basically said it should be considered a continuous condition and should be looked at the same way it would be looked at if i had the 2 year policy from the beginning. So they then agreed to cover it. Really needed something covering my back for my 2nd year as I originally cancelled my VHI before i left and of course i got injured so paying my VHI at home again now to build up my 5 years pre existing condition.

Most long stay or backpacker travel insurance will cover you for 12 months some will allow you to extend for a further 12 months provided the policy has not lapsed and no claim has been put through.

• Advertisement
Advertisement