Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resources for Substitute Teachers

• 08-03-2012 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi All,

I have recently started some subbing in Secondary School- admittedly not many hours but it all helps!!

Anyway, I'm finding it really tough to find general resources I can use when trying to cover for subjects I'm not teaching when the teacher doesn't leave work. It's tough to keep a class of 4th/5th years quiet when I don't have extra work to give them other than boring word searches or a threat of an essay question.

Does anybody have any suggestions for resources or sites that have decent resources? I was thinking we could use this thread to build up a list?

nicfd

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Depends what subject you want them for.

I use resources from tes.co.uk

It's a UK teaching resource website, you have to register (free) and give a UK postcode but there are loads of resources up there, powerpoints, worksheets etc. Some you will need to modify but on the whole it's pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

Definitely seconding the tes.co.uk site. It's also really good for asking questions, jobs searches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 nicfd

Thanks guys,

That is a great site. There's lots on there alright.

It's fairly subject specific though as far as I can see. Was wondering if there is any sites you could get more general stuff for. Subs don't always know what classes they're covering and if they do, it's not always known what they're studying at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I don't know what you are looking for really. :confused:That site has resources for pretty much every subject taught here except Irish.

What exactly would you be looking to give students that's more general? If you're looking for general you are back to wordsearches and crosswords on random stuff.

Better off giving them something subject specific if you get to find out what the subject is in time. And if you're subbing at second level everything is subject specific.

You could always get a memory stick and set up a number of different folders on it and download a selection of resources: powerpoints and worksheets for a few different subjects. Then you will have a variety of stuff to hand at short notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Go for things that are standard across subjects. For example languages-have vocab worksheets ready, no matter what the year group vocab or verbs could always be revised. Maths, you can never practise algebra enough for example (though higher level LC for example would need something more difficult). History or Geography you could have articles with questions to be answered maybe?
    The other thing is the obvious, pick a good student in the class ask where they were in the book and assign them the next few pages of work.

I'm just throwing ideas out. I keep 30 copies of about 10-12 worksheets handy but I do stick mostly to maths ones. If students don't have work or are disruptive they come up the front and get maths to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Are these regular occur or one-off classes? Although this won't apply to 4th years generally for 5th years I would give them an opportunity to do homework and strictly say to them they must not talk etc...this is an opportunity for them to get a head start on homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rias

Musicmental85....DO you carry around 300 or more pages with you to every school you go to as well as appropriate books or just a selection of pages?

Also subbing so great to hear what others are doing. I usually teach if I can as I feel the class is easier that way. Usually have science stuff on memory stick or CD which works great if a computer is available.

I found wordsearches to be OK for 1st years but above that were not great but maybe it was the school at the time........ might try again!

Must also look at that website. DId not know about it ....thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I'm lucky enough to be contracted in a shool for 16hrs do my subbing is within the school. I keep a paper ream box in the staff work area with work sheets! Obviously not great if you are goin between schools as it'd be a pain to cart around

• Registered Users Posts: 43 nicfd

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all this. I was getting worried as I was thinking I never know which subjects I will have to cover so I needed something general that would cover all classes and subjects and didn't know what that general might be other than random wordsearches/crosswords, etc! My concern was that for non exam classes, giving them exam questions/just do homework quietly doesn't work as they end up whispering, etc which turns louder & it's more difficult to keep them under control. Once you loose that, you can't get it back so I wanted to make sure I came across as confident as I had work to give them and expected it to be done.

You've all had great ideas. Definitely going to access that site & print off different worksheets for all subject across all years. I'll make a folder of print outs for all the subjects so when I get to the school, all I have to do is photocopy appropriate ones for the subjects - Just have to make sure I get answer sheets too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Tes.co.uk is a great resource but make sure you a spell check of the worksheets first. I went in to a class last year with what I thought was a great handout and there were four or five spelling mistakes :o. At least the class spotted them for me . And of course I told them that I's intentionally put them there to see if they'd notice :D.

• Advertisement
Advertisement