Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to determine the quality of a postgrad course?

Options
  • 08-03-2012 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of a change of direction in the next year or so. As part of that change I was considering undertaking the Masters in Exercise and Nutrition (Chester, taught in Dublin in the National Training Centre).

How do I figure out if this (or indeed any other postgrad I might consider) is a worthwhile and useful postgrad course? I'm very conscious that there are plenty of mickey mouse courses out there that aren't worth the paper that the diploma is printed on. I'm just not sure how to figure out, without inside knowledge, which are the worthwhile postgrads and which aren't worth the time or money.

By worthwhile I mean that the course is well run as a course and well regarded in its industry such that it leads to reasonable employment prospects after graduation ... whatever that means in the current ecomomic climate!

Do institutions that offer post-grads generally offer details about where their graduates end up? What questions should I ask when investigating a course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

to become a dietitian you need an undergraduate degree in that field,
    so unless you already work in sport, i can't see any reasonable job prospects after that course at all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

coolaboola wrote: »
    By worthwhile I mean that the course is well run as a course and well regarded in its industry such that it leads to reasonable employment prospects after graduation ...
    Try and find a company or individual who does what you want to do and ask them what you need to do to improve your prospects.
    to become a dietitian you need an undergraduate degree in that field,
    I'm pretty sure that's not true. I know two dieticians working for the NHS who have undergraduate science degrees (biochemistry) and masters in dietetics.

EDIT: From the NHS website:
    To work as a dietitian in the NHS you must be registered with the Health Professions Council (HPC). This means first obtaining either a BSc in dietetics or a postgraduate qualification, if your first degree is in an appropriate subject.
    http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=285

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

so if his undergraduate contained a lot of biology he might be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

so if his undergraduate contained a lot of biology he might be ok
    Biology is basically physics and chemistry, so I doubt a specifically biology-orientated degree is necessary.

Advertisement