Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you learn history essays?

• 08-03-2012 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Hey all :D I'm studying some history here, and I was wondering how you like to learn off your history essays! I usually just read over them, make some notes, then come up with a wee acronym to remember the essay by.. but I don't think it's too effective. So how do you learn off yours? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hiyakeano

i usually just remember like the 'key word' for each paragraph..like par 1 (education), par 2 (economy), etc.. you find that the information does come back to you in the exam! :P although i do usually try to memorize the intro :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I try to split it into topics, e.g Nazi propaganda is press/radio/books/sport/rallies/indoctrination/anti-semitism :) Welfare state is health/education/housing/social welfare, but that doesnt really work for essays that arent so clearly split...which can be a problem! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I used flash cards. Got a few titles and made bullet points of information for each essay.

Started off with introduction (several bullet points explaining what I was to discuss), paragraphs 1-5/6/7 etc (several bullet points for each paragraph), and a conclusion (again more bullet points summing up what I had said). Ended up with 5-12 cards per essay. Really helped because the bullet points could be applied to several different essays and I found it easier to remember random facts than pages upon pages of writing. In the actual exam I started writing part of an introduction that I could recall, and remembered subsequent information as I continued writing. They were also a lot easier to stick into a bag/folder and revise on the go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Have a look at these - see if you can make any use of them -

http://leavingcerthistory.net/revision/revision-handouts/

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

I just read it and write until I know it off by heart and keep writing it out every few days! Very time consuming but I find that way the most effective:) just wondering if anyone here has any history essays they would be willing to swap.. I have about 10 a1 standard essays if anyone wants to exchange essays with me:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I try to split it into topics, e.g Nazi propaganda is press/radio/books/sport/rallies/indoctrination/anti-semitism :) Welfare state is health/education/housing/social welfare, but that doesnt really work for essays that arent so clearly split...which can be a problem! :o
    That's exactly what I do. It's basically an essay plan I learn off for each essay. So say for example my Nazi Propaganda essay would be:
    1. Intro - Definition of propaganda, why Hitler used it
    2. Goebbels - his tasks, burning of books, reich chamber of commerce..
    3. Youth Movements
    4. Nuremberg Rallies
    5. Film/Leni Riefenstahl
    6. Conclusion.
    I do the same for every single essay I get - regardless of it's complexity. I always quickly jot my plan down in an exam before I write an essay as it helps refresh my memory!
    Simples!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

^Exactly! Only realized how handy that is recently but it works great :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

That's exactly what I do. It's basically an essay plan I learn off for each essay. So say for example my Nazi Propaganda essay would be:
    3. Youth Movements
    4. Nuremberg Rallies
    5. Film/Leni Riefenstahl
    6. Conclusion.
    I do the same for every single essay I get - regardless of it's complexity. I always quickly jot my plan down in an exam before I write an essay as it helps refresh my memory!
    Simples!
    That's exactly the way I do it too, although I use alot more short, concise and fact-jammed paragraphs to maximise points on an essay! That a1 standard essay still alludes me however :rolleyes:

That's exactly the way I do it too, although I use alot more short, concise and fact-jammed paragraphs to maximise points on an essay! That a1 standard essay still alludes me however :rolleyes:
    Ah the elusive A! Still haven't seen one myself either ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

3. Youth Movements
    4. Nuremberg Rallies
    5. Film/Leni Riefenstahl
    6. Conclusion.
    Simples!

Did that today in my history mock, worked great thanks :D

• Advertisement

Did that today in my history mock, worked great thanks :D
    Awesome! No problemo, seems to be a favourite among many!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Ah the elusive A! Still haven't seen one myself either ;)
    One day it will be ours, don't worry :p

Advertisement