Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got suspect email from Xbox Live Today

Options
  • 08-03-2012 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,

I received a dodgy looking email from Xbox Live thanking me for my loyalty etc and offered me 800 points.
    All i have to do is click two links for 400 points each and enter my email address.

Has anybody ever got this before? I don't think it is legit.
    Microsoft has never given me anything for free ever.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

If you're asking this please step away from the computer\xbox and be sure to unplug your router.

Ah, just kidding.

If it sounds like spam (ie asking you to click on two links) then it is spam.

Report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Sounds bollocks to me, why would they want your e-mail when they've just e-mailed you? Sounds like they're mass spamming e-mails and logging which ones reply so they know that one has a Live account and then they'll attempt to brute force it. Delete and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DracusWlf

ARRghh, no run away!!
    HeHe.

Thanks, I figured as much. Just thought i would put it out to see if it was true, i would love 800 points to get the last of Mass Effect 2 DLC before tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Whats the email address it is sent from? It could be the rewards program, they have an offer like this going on at the minute.

The email address is:
    xbox@engage.xbox.com

Never had an email from them before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

DracusWlf wrote: »
    The email address is:
    xbox@engage.xbox.com

Never had an email from them before.

Not genuine. AFAIK any genuine emails will be from microsoft.com or xbox.com.

Thanks,
    I thought as much, I'm at work so I can't Google it properly.
    Its a tempting offer though and can see people clicking on it not realising it could be spam.
    So much spam so little time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Actually that is genuine :) That is the email that sends you out these kind of offers

Really?? Cool.
    I've just decided to sell Xbox today. :(
    After I finish Mass Effect 2 that is. :)

Thanks, I'll try it out tonight then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Orim wrote: »
    Not genuine. AFAIK any genuine emails will be from microsoft.com or xbox.com.
    Hmm. The XBox Newsletter always comes from "Xbox@engage.xbox.com".
    XBox Live Rewards comes from "XboxLIVERewards@eprizefulfillment.com"

I'd still be suspicious about it, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

EMail addresses can be spoofed. I'd be more interested in what the links are?

Can you post them here but, maybe, break them up so that they aren't clickable by stoopid people.

So instead of putting in www.boards.ie, post www .b o a r ds. ie

Should be able to THEN tell you if it LOOKS legit or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I got what sounds like the exact same mail back in September.

I was suspicious too (have never seen Microsoft give anything away for free before!) but all the links seemed to check out etc.

Long story short, I redeemed the points and nothing strange has happened my account since, so it seems to be legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

If you are going to click the links, I would suggest that you change your XBL password immediately, just to be sure.

Thanks for the replies,
    I will try them tonight and report back the target links.
    I will also change my password straight after. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Did you download all the home party arcade games last month? MS were giving 800MSPs to anyone who bought all 4 of them

No I did not.

It is weird I got it, but i'll test it out none the less. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

I remember getting something similar. What i did was go to xbox.com and log in, then clicked the link in the email, it applied the points straight to my account, no way was I gonna click a link and provide any info.

Things might have changed since then though.

I'll try that first thanks!! :)

Just to finish off the tread, I tried to apply the codes last night. I logged into live first and when I clicked the links bam 800 points!!
    They are genuine it seems so if anyone comes across them just log into live first and click away.

Now to finish off Mass Effect 2 before tonight. :)
    Thanks a mill everyone for the replies!

Advertisement