Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quark or Indesign industry standard?

Options
  • 08-03-2012 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi, I used to work in the graphic design for print using quark illustrator and photoshop. I haven't worked in that industry now for about ten years, and around the time I was leaving, I started to hear about Adobe inDesign. I want the upskill again in this area, and I'm just wondering which of these two would be considered the industry standard, or are they used equally as much these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ado100

I work with a number of different graphic studios here in Ireland but also in the UK and the US. We swap files all the time and I would say it's about a 55/45 split in favour of InDesign but both would be considered industry standard. There are also clever bits of software that will convert InDesign files to Quark and visa versa. I hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

I also have worked with designers daily for over 5 years and would say InDesign is used a lot more than Quark. I would have thought closer to 70% InDesign. A large part of it is the move from supplying Layout files with images/fonts to now usually just supplying a PDF. InDesign is much smoother in creating workable PDF files than Quark.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭EvolutionNights

InDesign is the industry standard these days. InDesign works so much better with the other Adobe products. I still use Quark but only as a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Thanks for the replys, I'll have a look into inDesign so. I'm sure it shouldn't be that hard the teach yourself the basics when you allready have a good grasp of Quark.

Advertisement