Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB/Speed Upgrade Rollout

Options
  • 08-03-2012 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, does NGB automatically come with an option for higher than 8Mb (uncongested or not)? The reason I'm asking is that higher speed is more important to me than lack of congestion. (It's a small enough town and there's not a whole of congestion anyway.) I'm currently getting 5.8Mb down with 384Kb up. The download speed is OK. (However I wouldn't say no to an increase). As I work at home, the upload speed can be a bit of a problem at times - particularly trying to use VOIP and Web Conferencing (for example) at the same time.

Secondly, any idea when the Templemore exchange is scheduled for an upgrade? I noticed from the coverage map that Roscrea has been migrated, but Thurles (which was scheduled for around the same time as Roscrea) is now showing no data. (My hope was that once these two were done, Templemore wouldn't be far behind.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

dob99 wrote: »

Firstly, does NGB automatically come with an option for higher than 8Mb (uncongested or not)? The reason I'm asking is that higher speed is more important to me than lack of congestion. (It's a small enough town and there's not a whole of congestion anyway.) I'm currently getting 5.8Mb down with 384Kb up. The download speed is OK. (However I wouldn't say no to an increase). As I work at home, the upload speed can be a bit of a problem at times - particularly trying to use VOIP and Web Conferencing (for example) at the same time.

Secondly, any idea when the Templemore exchange is scheduled for an upgrade? I noticed from the coverage map that Roscrea has been migrated, but Thurles (which was scheduled for around the same time as Roscrea) is now showing no data. (My hope was that once these two were done, Templemore wouldn't be far behind.)

Hi dob99,

Thanks for the post.

Currently the Templemore Exchange is down provisionally for the end of the second quarter of this year. I would hope that this would be around June or July.

As advised previously on Boards, all planned works may be liable to change due to conditions. I would be hopeful that your exchange will be completed during this year. As regards the NGB capacity, it will be determined during testing by the engineers prior to the upgrade. Therefore, NGB could be enabled for either up to 24Mb or up to 8Mb.

Will update as soon if I have more information.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dob99

Currently the Templemore Exchange is down provisionally for the end of the second quarter of this year. I would hope that this would be around June or July.

Hi Ant,

Just wondering if you have any further update. (Thanks for getting back to me so quickly before.)

Thanks,
    DONAL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Many exchanges only support 'up to' 8mbits POST 'NGB' enablement, particularly rural ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

if you live more than 1km from the exchange dont expect much more than 8mb/s stable... adsl2plus is a rubbish technology. And have yet to meet anyone actually getting 24mb/s from eircom... most people i know would be on 8 to 12mb/s at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi Ant,

Just wondering if you have any further update. (Thanks for getting back to me so quickly before.)

Thanks,
    DONAL

Hi Donal
    Can see provisionally listed for second quarter of 2012, will chase for date and be back soon.
    Tony

• Advertisement

Hi Donal
    Can see provisionally listed for second quarter of 2012, will chase for date and be back soon.
    Tony

Hi Tony, Ant,

Just wondering if there's any update on this? (I've checked the Eircom website and it's not offering NGB (or anything above 7Mb) for my exchange.)

Thanks again,
    DONAL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Hi Tony, Ant,

Just wondering if there's any update on this? (I've checked the Eircom website and it's not offering NGB (or anything above 7Mb) for my exchange.)

Thanks again,
    DONAL

Hi Donal,

Have checked the deployment plan for you and can confirm that Templemore is still provisionally listed for an NGB upgrade before the end of the year. Hasn't happened as yet but definitely in the pipeline. Check back any time and we'll see if there are any updates.

Regards

James

Hi Donal,

Have checked the deployment plan for you and can confirm that Templemore is still provisionally listed for an NGB upgrade before the end of the year. Hasn't happened as yet but definitely in the pipeline. Check back any time and we'll see if there are any updates.

Regards

James

Hi,

Just wondering if there's any further update. (Originally, Templemore was down for Q2 and it's near the end of Q3 now.)

Thanks again,
    DONAL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You had better ask whether your exchange will get 8mbit NGB or 24mbit NGB . I know of no exchange that was 'upgraded' to 24mbit NGB packages in 2012 although a few went from max 7.6mbits to max 8mbits ....meaning a tiny speed increase.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You had better ask whether your exchange will get 8mbit NGB or 24mbit NGB . I know of no exchange that was 'upgraded' to 24mbit NGB packages in 2012 although a few went from max 7.6mbits to max 8mbits ....meaning a tiny speed increase.

Hi Sponge Bob,

I did ask this originally, but my understanding is that this won't be known until the actual upgrade is started. (I could be wrong however.)

Eircom Guys,

If you have this information too, that would be great.

Thanks,
    DONAL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Hi,

Just wondering if there's any further update. (Originally, Templemore was down for Q2 and it's near the end of Q3 now.)

Thanks again,
    DONAL

Hi Donal,

Have checked the most recent deployment list and can confirm that Templemore is still part of the current plans. It was pushed out slightly, possibly due to delays with the other exchanges. I can't put an exact timeframe on it at the moment but can say that it's due in the next batch. Apologies I can't be more specific but I am confident it will be completed before the end of the year based on the latest info. Sorry for the delays in getting this done, as soon as I get word on Templemore I'll leave a note here for you.

Regards

James

Thanks everyone for your prompt responses. I have now upgraded to 24Mb and am pretty happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Personally speaking, i think NGB is going nowhere.

Next couple of years and beyond 4G masts will be popping up everywhere across this country and unless Eircom gets into the market and erects their own masts. Eircom could potentially lose revenue and business. Lets be honest if you can get better speeds at a lower cost or near to what you paying now you be crazy not to migrate to another provider.

ADSL and ASDL 2 technologies truly are going to be left behind as soon as 4G kicks in depending of course on how reliable the technology really is for the customer?.

Advertisement