Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Allowance form question.

Options
  • 08-03-2012 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

I've just come back from my GP after getting my doctor's section of my form filled and I'm a little concerned.

Background:
    I'm 23 and have been suffering with psychotic depression (mostly psychotic symptoms) for a little over a year now. This condition caused me to leave college. I've been on a plethora of medications and so far my symptoms have only been lessened by a small amount. At present I'm taking 300mg of Venlafaxine and 800mg of Seroquel daily. I have been hospitalised for 3 months in the past as well. My psychiatrist has also mentioned but not confirmed that I may have schizoaffective disorder and schizoid personality disorder.

So my question is about my form. My doctor has labelled my case as "Severe" but he has also stated on the form that he expects my condition to last "3-6 months". I want to know should I be prepared for the worst with my application as I've heard from many people that it could take 3-6 months for my application to even be looked at, let alone being given a verdict?

I can honestly say that I would expect my condition to last at least another year so I'm prepared to apply again if I'm rejected because I'm not banking on this application making the cut. Opinions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tony.aspergers

Your problem is likely to be that it will take longer than six months (or even a year and a half) before your claim for DA is processed in the first instance, such is the slow nature of the application process these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

Your problem is likely to be that it will take longer than six months (or even a year and a half) before your claim for DA is processed in the first instance, such is the slow nature of the application process these days!

Thanks, I figured as much but I suppose I should hand in the form to get myself in the system. I've had a talk with my psychiatrist today and he said in his opinion I should get and deserve DA at this point and if it is rejected he will be happy to help me appeal with letters and such so that's a plus. Feeling a lot more positive about the form after talking to him since my GP is very unhelpful.

Advertisement