Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC broadband not available- But it works

• 08-03-2012 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm moving to a new apartment, want to get UPC in. The site says it can't get broadband and won't process the order, the sales on the phone won't process the order because of it as well.

But its capable of taking a broadband line through UPC, I've taken a 100mb enabled Thompson modem and used it on site with perfect results in speed and performance.

Does anybody know of a way to bypass this retarded system? Like ordering to another address and simply moving the modem over?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Yeah the exact same thing happened to me, when I moved into my new apartment I brought my old modem and used up the time before the account expired. It worked perfectly with never a hitch. After the month expired I tried signing up for a new account at my new address and they informed me I couldn't get it. I spent a month trying to get them to budge on that point, but they said that even if it works they can't guarantee the quality will remain.

After a month of trying to get it I gave up and tried DSL instead, which was another nightmare. The lines from my apartment are badly wired, and run through shops which have closed due to the recession and Eircom can't get access in order to connect them. The engineer said this was specifically because the block was in contract with UPC, but this might just have been him shifting the blame.

After about another month of this I tried UPC again. This time they made an error on my order form, they put me down as the house number corresponding to the apartment number of the street my block is on rather than being in the apartment block itself. When the engineer came out I was able to talk him into trying the modem and when it worked he let me sign up at the correct address and its worked ever since.

Despite all that however and having been a customer of their broadband at the right address for well over a year (and with zero downtime), if I ring up UPC they still tell me I can't get broadband. So I'm currently stuck paying more for the 30Mb service than I would if they would let upgrade to the 50Mb one. It probably also means that if there is ever a problem they will refuse to even look at fixing it for me.

So my point is that UPC is pretty damn intractable when it comes to stuff like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Speak to a neighbour on the same street/apt block/whatever and ask what their billing address is, as printed by UPC. Some street names might be down in different formats on their system. Also, if the street name has changed in recent times (even the spelling) this may throw it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭Tow

With UPC 'the computer' is the law and cannot be changed by the employees.

In another similar example a friend of mine had UPC TV, broadband and phone etc, he built a new house in the side garden, two feet from his original house. He phoned up UPC they came out and extended the coax across from his old house, but they could not give him broadband/phone because the computer said it was not in the 'area'. After weeks of messing talking to managers and them agreeing the computer was wrong, be just gave up and went to Irish broadband.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its defiantly the street name, the whole road is blanket banned for broadband. Long road too, close to 400 houses. Every road around is live, just that particular one won't work. Got fed the speil by one agent telling me that if I sign up to TV the broadband would follow soon. But I had already found a post on here saying the same thing in 2009.

I've ordered it to my parents address, I'm going to leave it a week or two then port the address on my account over after having been made a customer already. At least then I can escalate it over the script monkey to somebody else.

Advertisement