Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Occupy Eyre Square on Borrowed Time Now?

Options
  • 08-03-2012 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,246 ✭✭✭

The Gardai in Dublin have done the public a service by stepping in and cleaning out the crusty camp in Dame St. for the parade. I'd imagine that will start giving people down here some ideas? Hopefully it will anyway. It's probably about time these lot in Eyre Square occupied a Back To Work scheme or something rather than sitting on their arses for no apparent collective reason! Are there any plans afoot to move the eyesore on Eyre Square?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

squonk wrote: »
    The Gardai in Dublin have done the public a service by stepping in and cleaning out the crusty camp in Dame St. for the parade. I'd imagine that will start giving people down here some ideas? Hopefully it will anyway. It's probably about time these lot in Eyre Square occupied a Back To Work scheme or something rather than sitting on their arses for no apparent collective reason! Are there any plans afoot to move the eyesore on Eyre Square?

I think their point has been made already, haven't heard anything going past the site daily now for a good few weeks, its more squatting than anything. Apparently theres a nice green space behind Currys in Terryland I hear...

They will likely be forced to leave before the Volvo Ocean Race, apart from that, I can't see them ever being evicted. They keep Eyre Square relatively safe because of their presence (remember the article the Galway Advertiser posted a while back saying how crime has been down since their arrival) and for the most part they don't cause much obstruction - but they are an eyesore and the VOR will guarantee their removal, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This discussion didn't work last time so the Occpy thread was closed.
    And tbh with an OP like this one "Gardai in Dublin have done the public a service by stepping in and cleaning out the crusty camp in Dame St" it's clear that this thread won't work either.
    Stick to the thread in AH for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Do the decent thing for Galway City and pack your bags like the occupy movement in Cork.

Link: http://www.thejournal.ie/occupy-cork-announces-voluntary-dismantling-of-protest-camp-381413-Mar2012/?utm_source=twitter_self

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I thought they were to be moved by the Gardai last night - did that not happen? I've not been in town yet today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

Ficheall wrote: »
    I thought they were to be moved by the Gardai last night - did that not happen? I've not been in town yet today.

Oh God I hope they were moved. Especially for St Patricks day. It is a health and safety hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

I would say the place looks very neat and more like a boy scouts camp than a hazard risk.
    In any case I would say they have accomplished their goal alreadyt and they should realize they are facing the worst enemy, society's apathy and indifference.
    Other measures are needed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since the original Occupy thread didn't work out I'll refer to the threads in After Hours and Politics.

The reason for the lock was the many unfounded allegations, personal attacks, thread fighting, sniping and many bans that followed the Occupy thread. People from either camp couldn't manage to keep discussion civil and it just reached a point where it didn't work any more, sadly.

If you see charter it ends with the golden rule:
    Above all, exercise common sense.
    Be nice and helpful and people will reciprocate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement