Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep bolus problem

• 08-03-2012 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Over the past couple of years I have been finding the odd sheep bolus around my farm and Dads farm. They're not in dung, so I think some being brought back up by the sheep. I'm not finding them near the pens, so it's not a case of them holding the bolus in the mouth and spitting it out. We have the correct applicator for giving them and use it.

I'm kind of frustrated by this, as obviously there are some of our sheep that aren't getting the benefit of what we're thinking we're giving them.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

ATB,

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

What kind of bolus, john? I've used a copper bolus in the past but didnt spot any lying in the pen after they were left out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Animax trace sure, cobalt one for sheep supposed to slow release over 5-6 months. Was asking a few UK lads about it, they've seen it happen too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Any idea how long after giving them is it that you find them John?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

No idea Blue, I just find them out walking the farm or doing a job here or there. They look fairly intact but pitted on the outside. I find if I give one to a sheep wrong in the pen she'll chew on and break the bolus, that's not the condition I'm finding them on the ground. The annoying thing is I don't know which sheep put them up, or when. So there are sheep out that aren't done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Probably bringing them up as they ruminate. I think it's a % thing, a few are going to do it. Like vaccination, a few won't 'take'........ still better off by doing them.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
Advertisement