Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liquid Nitrogen - where to buy?

Options
  • 08-03-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get some liquid nitrogen for culinary use.

I'm well aware of the handling/safety issues as I work in a lab and frequently handle it in small and large quantities.

Is there anywhere that sells it in small quantities for food use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Maybe try BOC, see if they can help you

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As above, or wherever your Lab buys their chemicals. I doubt very much that there is anyone selling Nitrogen specifically for culinary purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mloc wrote: »
    I'm looking to get some liquid nitrogen for culinary use.

I'm well aware of the handling/safety issues as I work in a lab and frequently handle it in small and large quantities.

Is there anywhere that sells it in small quantities for food use?

Any reason why you cant get it from the lab.
    If you handle it regualrly, you'd be the person i'd be askign for a source tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Mellor wrote: »
    Any reason why you cant get it from the lab.
    If you handle it regualrly, you'd be the person i'd be askign for a source tbh.

You have a good point; unfortunately the stuff in the lab is often reused so I can't take any as it's a biohazard. I might email the supplier though and see what they say.

I think the challenge will be finding a suitable container; Thermos flasks work ok but only for a few hours. A proper LN2 dewer flask is pricey (upwards of €500).

Advertisement