Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I licenced to carry a pillion passenger?

• 08-03-2012 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

I have had a full B licence for 11 years, apparently this also counts as a M licence. Can anyone tell me if this means I am also licenced to carry a pillion passenger on a 50cc scooter? I tried looking it up but can't find any clear answers...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Since its a full license it would seem that you can carry a pillion. Don't think I would want to myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

If the licence shows category M, then yes.

Anyone with a full M licence can carry a pillion passenger.

Saying that...a 50cc moped will really struggle with 2 people on it. And they are very top heavy as well with 2 people on them which make them more unstable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

If you have a full category M licence for more than two years (i.e. you're over your initial 2 year restriction) then yes, you are legally allowed to carry a pillion.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

If you have a full category M licence for more than two years (i.e. you're over your initial 2 year restriction) then yes, you are legally allowed to carry a pillion.

Sweet, does this apply even though I haven't actually been riding a scooter?

Sweet, does this apply even though I haven't actually been riding a scooter?

AFAIK, yes, once you have a full licence, it does. You might want to double check that though. How do you have a full licence for a bike if you never actually sat the test though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Technically, you need to be insured to carry a pillion as well.

A garda stopped me once when I had the missuz on the back, and quizzed me about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

AFAIK, yes, once you have a full licence, it does. You might want to double check that though. How do you have a full licence for a bike if you never actually sat the test though?

I have a full B licence, which is also a full M licence as long as you got it before 2006 according to this website. Seems a bit odd to me too but I'm not complaining, I don't like tests.
    ...if you have held a driving licence for category B, C, C1, D, D1, EB, EC, EC1, ED or ED1 since before 21 October 2006, it is also regarded as a licence for category M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fando

That is correct. I inquired about this to RSA and got email back confirming this.

fando wrote: »
    That is correct. I inquired about this to RSA and got email back confirming this.

Good enough so. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

The two years thing is only to do with the 'A' license, and then also relates to the max power of the bike you can ride

Nout to do with pillions, or motorway usage (the only other 2 things a full license nets you afaik)

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    The two years thing is only to do with the 'A' license, and then also relates to the max power of the bike you can ride

Yeah, copped that after when I had a look at my own licence, full "B" and full "A" and the "M" is on it too. :o Good spot man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I have had a full B licence for 11 years, apparently this also counts as a M licence. Can anyone tell me if this means I am also licenced to carry a pillion passenger on a 50cc scooter? I tried looking it up but can't find any clear answers...

Not all scooters are mopeds and not all mopeds are scooters.

You need to be careful what you buy as your licence is only for Mopeds which are <45km/h and <49cc. Most scooters will easily exceed this, so be careful what you buy. A bike which will easily carry 2 people won't meet moped criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭lostboy

If the licence shows category M, then yes.

Anyone with a full M licence can carry a pillion passenger.

Saying that...a 50cc moped will really struggle with 2 people on it. And they are very top heavy as well with 2 people on them which make them more unstable.
    ah no, a restricted one (which is all hes licensed for anyway) will still reach the 30mph no bother with 2 up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

lostboy wrote: »
    ah no, a restricted one (which is all hes licensed for anyway) will still reach the 30mph no bother with 2 up.

You need a different licence to do 30mph, since M is only valid to 45kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭lostboy

thanks for that :rolleyes:

Advertisement