Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eye Primer/shadow base

• 08-03-2012 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a new eye primer or eye shadow base.

Currently I use Urban Decay's Primer Potion, but I find that after a couple of hours after applying my shadow that it (shadow) is wearing off and creasing.

I find it only happens with powder shadows (compact and loose powder), but not with my Bobbi Brown cream shadows, but then even without a primer/base my Bobbi cream shadows don't crease or wear off anyway.

I was looking at Too Faced Shadow Insurance and it gets great reviews, but I'm wondering if there are any others out there that you can recommend?

I don't have a set amount to spend, but I don't want to spend too much either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

have you tried the Mac paintpots, i have one in the colour Painterly which i find really good at make my eyeshadow last all day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a new eye primer or eye shadow base.

Currently I use Urban Decay's Primer Potion, but I find that after a couple of hours after applying my shadow that it (shadow) is wearing off and creasing.

I find it only happens with powder shadows (compact and loose powder), but not with my Bobbi Brown cream shadows, but then even without a primer/base my Bobbi cream shadows don't crease or wear off anyway.

I was looking at Too Faced Shadow Insurance and it gets great reviews, but I'm wondering if there are any others out there that you can recommend?

I don't have a set amount to spend, but I don't want to spend too much either.

I only use primer under a loose powder shadow to give it something to stick to. If I'm using pressed powder eyeshadow, my routine is:

Foundation all over lid.
    Set with loose translucent powder.
    Fill in brows.
    Neutral base all over lid (I use Mac "Llama")
    Colour wherever I'm putting it (socket only, smokey eye, etc.)
    Highlighter in inner sockets & under arch of brows

And it generally doesn't budge; I'll get the whole day/night out of it and have even woken up with my eye make-up still pretty much perfect the morning after, if I've been bold and fallen into bed with it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Cheers guys, Honey-ec I have a routine like yours, but still find my shadow creases :(
    gillapino wrote: »
    have you tried the Mac paintpots, i have one in the colour Painterly which i find really good at make my eyeshadow last all day :)
    I have the Painterly paint pot too, but any time I wear it my eyes water and are sore and red after I take it off, so I think I'm allergic to it, not surprising really as my sister is allergic to M.A.C eye shadows too.

Cheers guys, Honey-ec I have a routine like yours, but still find my shadow creases :(

Hmmm. You could try Mac Prep & Prime, that's what I use under my loose eyeshadows. Could be an expensive experiment, though, if you end up not liking it.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Hmmm. You could try Mac Prep & Prime, that's what I use under my loose eyeshadows. Could be an expensive experiment, though, if you end up not liking it.
    How much is the M.A.C prep and prime?

Is there anywhere/any way to get samples of it before buying it full-size?

I'm just afraid that I'll end up having the same reaction/problem to that as I had with the Painterly paint pot.

I guess another option is to get a nude coloured Bobbi cream shadow and use that as a base....

• Advertisement

How much is the M.A.C prep and prime?

Is there anywhere/any way to get samples of it before buying it full-size?

I'm just afraid that I'll end up having the same reaction/problem to that as I had with the Painterly paint pot.

I guess another option is to get a nude coloured Bobbi cream shadow and use that as a base....

I don't know if they do little sample sizes to take away, probably not, knowing Mac, but they'll certainly put a bit on for you and put eyeshadow on over it for you if you pop in some day. Go in early, wear it for the day and you should know then if it's what you're looking for or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

I've got the MAC prep and prime but bought the Catrice eyeshadow primer a few weeks ago. I prefer the Catrice one! The MAC one is quite 'oily' for lack of a better word, on the eyes. I didn't find it good at all. The Catrice one really holds the eyeshadow very well and stops any blended colours running into eachother. Eyeshadow lasts all day in work now. It's only about 4 euro too!

KazDub wrote: »
    I've got the MAC prep and prime but bought the Catrice eyeshadow primer a few weeks ago. I prefer the Catrice one! The MAC one is quite 'oily' for lack of a better word, on the eyes. I didn't find it good at all. The Catrice one really holds the eyeshadow very well and stops any blended colours running into eachother. Eyeshadow lasts all day in work now. It's only about 4 euro too!

Well then I'd certainly be trying that one before the Mac one, which is about €25, iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I use smashbox eye primer. I do find it very good (and I have very oily lids). Typically if I apply shadow in the morning (8am) it will last until after work (maybe 4pm or a little longer). Don't think that's too bad! I will say though that the tube is the same size as the sample size urban decay pp that comes with their palettes. So ud is better value in terms of the amount of product.

123670929699?$PSPMedium$

I've recently tried the essence stay all day cream shadow and that lasts really well too. Works nicely as a base to neutral shadows. Lasts about as long as the smashbox on its own.

I would say that if you're putting foundation, powder, primer and shadows on your eyes, it might be just too much stuff. (I may have misinterpreted - maybe that's just your face routine). Sometimes less is more.

Have you tried a finishing spray? I've found giving a little squirt helps keep loose powder.
    Even if you don't have a finishing spray, try a quick squirt of hairspray over your finished (and tightly closed!) eyes.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies guys.

My daily routine is as follows:

Wash face
    Moisturise face/eyes
    Apply foundation
    Apply M.A.C blot powder
    Apply bronzer
    Apply UDPP
    Apply eye shadow/mascara etc.

Will have a look for those Catrice and Smashbox primers.

I don't know about spraying hairspray on my face, I have problematic skin and am suffer with Acne and don't want to make it worse.

Oh I see. Then I'd say to avoid the hairspray thing. I have titanium skin that can handle just about anything (except my BF's cleanser for some reason O_O)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lulut

Hi
    I've just switched over to the Art deco eyeshadow base recently when my UDPP ran out and I really like it. There is a scent to it but I find it works really well and is only around 10 euros so might be worth a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

The Nars eye primer is meant to be good for oily lids or similar. Haven't had a chance to try it myself but I have heard good reviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

You should have a look at the beaut.ie swap siopa, you might find someone else has a primer and they'd swap it for the one you're allergic to. I saw benefits stay don't stray primer on it a while ago. I've only tried the ud one so can't help otherwise sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Also no matter what primer you use I find they work better with just the tiniest amount. With the ud sample I have I take the smallest amount possible and it's still too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭alainnbeauty

Cinema secrets primer is meant to be very good i Havant tired it myself seen a few reviews about it , didnt like ud maybe i got a bad bottle but it didnt do much for me.im gona order cs one and see how i get on with it , will report back :)

link http://www.cinemasecrets.ie/products_detail.php?ProductID=11

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sallyr

hey
    i absolutely love the urban decay makeup it has to b my most favourite in the world. I used to always swear by the eye potion, however i cannot really afford to send 28euros on eye potion anymore as i use it everyday and its a bit pricey.. I have started using a CATRICE eyeshadow base. It is only 4.99 and it is great, i cannot fault it and it is also being sold in a load of places such as chemists and even some pennies now sell it!
    I would also recommend boots own brand primer which is only 10 euro and is that bit better than catrice as it is more flawless and isn't as cream coloured it is more invisible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Missmiddleton

I swear by Two Faced "Shadow Insurance". Its cheap and I've been using the same tube since last August, It just doesnt run out! :eek:

https://www.toofaced.com/p-544-shadow-insurance-anti-crease-eye-shadow-primer.aspx?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 poutie

Benefit Lemon Aid is good, but my favourite is either MAC Painterly or Urban Decay in Eden. I used to use the Original UD Primer, but had the same problem as you, I think it was too moist for my lids, but the Eden is matte and seems to grab the colour way better than the nude. HTH!

• Advertisement
Advertisement