Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Ford

Options
  • 08-03-2012 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Does anybody know the publication date for Ford's new book CANADA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

I saw those earlier but couldn't find the date. Now, I've found it. June 2012 - thanks.

Really looking forward to this.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I started this on Sunday, I really love the way he writes. His occasional asides on literature and the way he includes the reader really appeal to me somehow. I'm limiting myself to a chapter a night now to make it last a while.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

It was on sale in Chapters on Parnell St when I was in the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Polynomial

groovie wrote: »
    I started this on Sunday, I really love the way he writes. His occasional asides on literature and the way he includes the reader really appeal to me somehow. I'm limiting myself to a chapter a night now to make it last a while.:)

So, what's the verdict?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭steve_r

Polynomial wrote: »
    So, what's the verdict?

I haven't read it, but someone who's opinion I hugely respect was very impressed with it, albeit saying that it had a slow start.

Mind you, I rate my own opinion even higher, so once I've read it I'll bounce back with my own "educated" opinion! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

Geez, I'm not sure about this one. It read a lot different from his previous work, I feel. I can't say I didn't enjoy it, but it didn't engage me the way his writing usually has. I just love the feel of the Bascombe books and I still feel that Wildlife is a minor masterpiece.

Canada very much reminded me of John Irving.

I felt that Ford's usual dreamy, contemplative voice didn't come through until Part 3.

I guess that, overall, I was a little disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Ernest Oreo

Enjoyable.
    Worth staying with it.
    But its not classic ford. Or classic american literature.
    It is not the great american novel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I agree. Was a bit disappointed with it. Compared to the Bascombe trilogy it was weak.

Advertisement