Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Neglect?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

OP its obvious you have no motive, bar love so pay no attention to such comments. Please contact social services. She doesnt deserve to have a child . and i dont care if she has mental issues or had a hard life etc. The child deserves proper care . Dont let this go on another weekend.

Is there a reason why I am quoted in this post?

OP, I can understand your fears of being found out and losing contact with the child completely but you need to act in the best interest of the child here.

Contact social services and explain your concerns and worries about reporting the situation to the duty social worker. You could probably guarantee its not the first time they have had a situation like yours. The most important thing to note is that the earlier you report it, the earlier they can intervene and try to remedy the developmental (and probably social problems) that your nephew has already suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

your PHN can call at anytime for a child that is awaiting assessment for speech therapy or other assessment. If the child has an identified delay, then she should have been in already, since then.
    I had to call the phn in relation to a child i was concerned about last year, basically her mother was drinking to an extent that i feared for her mental health. I called to ask for advice on how to proceed, who to call as i could not live with myself if i heard anything had happened to the child due to her mothers mental state. The phn knew who i was talking about, without being told any names, and she was still seeing the family as the child had a development delay and she was over 4.
    I did not even know this family beyond seeing them around.
    You have to act, your nephew needs you, but your sister sounds depressed. She can't be in her right mind to act that way towards her child, she is ignoring the storm in front of her. She knows, as you do, he is going to school this year or next, she knows he has to move on and she is pretending this not happening.
    Good luck. It is a terrible situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Public health nurse is the way to go. A friend, who works with autistic children saw autistic tendencies in her grandson. Her daughter was in denial. She rang the phn and the child was granted early intervention for approximately 18 months. Her daughter still has no idea that she rang and she thought it was just a standard check that showed up this developmental delay. He is now in junior infants and has no autistic traits prevalent anymore. Early intervention works, and no one knows that Granny made the necessary phonecalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

OP, well done on getting in contact with the PHN, I really hope that this will lead to a postive outcome for the child and family. However, if the PHN is unable to take things further, please, please, please report the issue yourself. I know it's a difficult position to be in, with the mother being your sister, but at the end of the day, this is about a child who is unable to speak up for himself. And if he, and your sister both, can get the support that he needs now, it might go a long way to reparing the damage that has been done already and to improving his outcomes.

Advertisement