Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Con-man alert

Options
  • 08-03-2012 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I am in me front garden in D8 when an individual with a clipboard approaches claiming he has to replace the gutters.

I decline as I do all the maintenance myself. He says he is doing all the gutters of the terrace / on behalf of health and safety or some such gibberish.

It is best not to be too rude to these characters but I mention something about a con job then he says he must have the wrong house and in fact he is putting up white plastic gutters and fascia boards on my next door neighbour's house and would have to check our brackets.
    He hurries about, bothering more neighbours, and soon we are all out watching his every move and discussing his antics.
    He drives away round to a cul-de-sac round the corner and then after bothering everyone there he flees.
    So be on the lookout. Small dirty white van with ladder on roof, 07 number plate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

These guys are just a drain on society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Would you consider ringing the Gardai? Obv its the elderly & vunerable who may fall for or be intimidated by people like this.
    Perhaps with his discription the Gardai could look out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Whereabouts in D8 was this? Plenty of elderly people around my part so always like keeping an eye out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Did you get the reg number by any chance?if you did,give the local Garda station a call and give it to them.

My auld granny was caught out by a con like that in Terenure a few years back,they are very good at pressuring elderly people into falling for their scams,the cúnts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Elmar Fudd

It was Kilmainham but they move around everywhere, sorry, no I did not think to phone the local station, no I did not think to write down number plate, just posted it on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

This type of thing happened to my three elderly aunts who live together. These three guys cleaned their gutters then decided to charge them €500. Fools that they are they paid just to get rid of them. They then came back twice more looking for a few hundred each time. The third time they got a neighbour's son to run them out.

Worst part is they didn't tell us for months. How anyone could do that astounds me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Elmar Fudd wrote: »
    I am in me front garden in D8 when an individual with a clipboard approaches claiming he has to replace the gutters.

I decline as I do all the maintenance myself. He says he is doing all the gutters of the terrace / on behalf of health and safety or some such gibberish.

It is best not to be too rude to these characters but I mention something about a con job then he says he must have the wrong house and in fact he is putting up white plastic gutters and fascia boards on my next door neighbour's house and would have to check our brackets.
    He hurries about, bothering more neighbours, and soon we are all out watching his every move and discussing his antics.
    He drives away round to a cul-de-sac round the corner and then after bothering everyone there he flees.
    So be on the lookout. Small dirty white van with ladder on roof, 07 number plate.

a clipboard and something that looks like an official ID is enough to dupe some people. do ring the guards with an accurate description as he is bound to have tried this before and will continue doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

This type of thing happened to my three elderly aunts who live together. These three guys cleaned their gutters then decided to charge them €500. Fools that they are they paid just to get rid of them. They then came back twice more looking for a few hundred each time. The third time they got a neighbour's son to run them out.

Worst part is they didn't tell us for months. How anyone could do that astounds me.

I would not say fools. they are hardly going to have a n argument with people who could quickly turn aggressive.
    a lot of people hire some guy who turns up at their door because it might save them a few bob. because what both sides are doing is not quite legal nobody wants to involve the police.

Advertisement