Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering graduates in NZ

Options
  • 08-03-2012 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all,

Myself and my girlfriend are planning on heading out to NZ later in the year. We are both fresh graduates, me a mechanical engineer with no experience, her a civil engineer with a few months worth of internships.

Since we are both new graduates, im not expecting to be flooded with job offers, but between the Christchurch rebuild and the fact that both of our professions are on the absolute skill shortage list, would it be realistic to expect to be able to find something?

Seems the engineering jobs are easier to come by in Australia, but having spoken to people who have lived in both Australia and New Zealand, it sounds like NZ would suit us more (employment possibilities aside).

Thanks for any opinions :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

True you say Oz has better opportunities but NZ living IMO is more relaxed.

Here are a few links to check out.

http://yellow.co.nz/yellow+pages/recruitment+agencies/

http://www.workingin-newzealand.com/

http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?DateRange=31&SearchFrom=quick&Keywords=&industry=1209&nation=3000

http://www.seek.co.nz/JobSearch?DateRange=31&SearchFrom=quick&Keywords=&industry=1209&nation=3001

You'll notice obviously more Engineering opportunities in Oz.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cullend2

Hi Dave,

Thanks very much! Once I get a visa sorted I'll start bombarding potential employers and agencies. This looks like a great place to start :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not sure what your plans when you get over there are but if you're looking for an engineering job with no experience it might be a good idea to stay in the one city for the majority of your time over there.

If you go to an employer and tell them your plan is to stay for 10/11 months you become more employable than if you were to leave after 5/6 months to experience another city.

trademe.co.nz is one of the best places for looking for a job/place to live in NZ.

Hi Cat,

The initial plan is to head to Wellington. The general consensus from people I know who have lived and worked in New Zealand is that it's a more pleasant city than Auckland, though smaller. If we like the place and can get work we'd happily stay put there! If we exhaust our possibilites there then we'd look at packing off to Christchurch, Auckland, or wherever else looks likely.

I think the primary aim is to get some professional experience. We do want to see as much of the country as we can; the place is clearly beautiful with interesting cultures and histories, but if I were to get a suitable job, I wouldn't be leaving after a few months to relocate. Or at least as it stands that isn't the plan...

Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Be aware Christchurch will be in demolition phase for at least another year as they clear the CBD rubble and make way for new buildings. The insurance companies and Earthquake commision have been slowing things down so the expected sudden boom of construction work is yet to begin plus the constant aftershocks make things difficult.

You're best bet is apply for jobs when you get here at whichever city you choose. you'll have a far better response if you're here in the country, able to interview in person and start work soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Companies in New Plymouth are falling over each other for engineers, chemical, elec, process and mech, oil and gas town.

We've been here 6 months and my partner has already got two of our friends in Ireland jobs here too (mech and process) :D
    One here, one on the way.

Awesome place to live too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Would totally second New Plymouth, lovely place and great lifestyle up there.

Hmmm, to be honest we haven't really looked at many places beyond Wellington, Aukland, and Christchurch. but New Plymouth looks like it definitely has potential! Looking at their council website, and it straight away has a graduate civil position that would be perfect for the missus!

Cookie, can I ask what field your partner is in? And does he want 2 new friends to get jobs for? :P

Being an oil and gas town, I'm guessing a lot or the positions would feature shift work/prolonged periods away? Neither bother me, but as it's just the 2 of us going (at the moment anyway, might still convince some more people), I'd be hesitant to leave her completely on her own. Until we settle in anyway.

I potentially have some work arranged in Wellington through a friend (welding and fabricating), but its with the understanding that I'd leave if an engineering job comes along. Good experience, and good money, so Wellington will still quite possibly be our first port of call, but am I right in thinking that New Plymouth is close enough to be feasible to check out over a few weekends? Google maps says ~5 hours drive....

Thanks for your input, all of you. I really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

She works for an oil and gas consultancy firm as a process engineer
    No shift work, normal hours, sometimes on site.

There's loads of companies to look at here. Todd, STOS, Greymouth would be the main operations companies in O&G. Plant and Platform, Transfield Warley are two big consultancies that operate here, there's another I can't think of too. Lots of other related industries also. In ops work there are plenty of on shore and a few off shore sites, onshore is where most of the work will be in the next few years, 25+ wells planned to be opened up seemingly.

P&P are looking for mech still as far as I'm aware

• Registered Users Posts: 3 smurphy103

Cullend2, Just wondering did you make the move after?

I'm in Australia atm looking to get into the oil and gas industry it is proving difficult to say the least but I suppose I have only been looking for the last two weeks. If anyone has any contacts or advice they are willing to send on that would be great. I have a honours degree in Mechanical engineering and based in Sydney at the moment but willing to move to where ever the work is.

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement