Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No 1080P for the Irish iTunes Store?

• 08-03-2012 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I updated iTunes and was having a look at HD movies and there is no mention of 1080P.

Logged out and logged in to my US account and the same movie says it's also in 1080P (was looking at the new three musketeers just as an example).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭squonk

Maybe it's the usual licencing issues. It might be sorted out by the summer though. On the other hand, maybe it'll launch with the iPad 3 on Mar 23?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

squonk wrote: »
    Maybe it's the usual licencing issues. It might be sorted out by the summer though. On the other hand, maybe it'll launch with the iPad 3 on Mar 23?

Let's hope. I always feel we're an afterthought for Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Not that we're an after thought I think it's all different deals with the distributors. Sure it take ages to be able to buy/rent good content here.

Also look how poor the initial Netflix content is.

It's quite complicated.

Also, just so you know, what appears on iTunes store is nothing to with how up to date your iTunes software is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

can't imagine apple would be in any great rush to supply ireland with 1080p content, there isn't even any tv shows for sale on the irish store, apple don't have an apple store in the country either and ireland is never on the first batch of release dates for any of their products

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭squonk

jc84 wrote: »
    can't imagine apple would be in any great rush to supply ireland with 1080p content, there isn't even any tv shows for sale on the irish store, apple don't have an apple store in the country either and ireland is never on the first batch of release dates for any of their products

Hell, half the country don't have the bandwidth for 1080p shows either! I heard a figure mentioned (and of course it's unverified I must add but came from Gizmodo or a similar site) that a connection speed of 8-15Mbs was required. Now, how many even with Eircom are getting that? I'm on UPC so it's a non issue but for an awful lot of us - especially in rural areas - good quality SD will be the standard for a good few years yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Just set up an US iTunes account. Couldn't be simpler. Problem solved.

Maybe my expectations are to high. Oh well at least I have the us account. If only I could use my Irish credit card instead of getting the iTunes vouchers all the time.

squonk wrote: »
    Hell, half the country don't have the bandwidth for 1080p shows either! I heard a figure mentioned (and of course it's unverified I must add but came from Gizmodo or a similar site) that a connection speed of 8-15Mbs was required. Now, how many even with Eircom are getting that? I'm on UPC so it's a non issue but for an awful lot of us - especially in rural areas - good quality SD will be the standard for a good few years yet.

true, but the option should still be there for people who want to buy and download 1080p content, although I wonder what the quality would be like, i was going to pre-order the new Underworld movie but it says that the 1080p file is 2.62gb, that must be a mistake, surely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

mad muffin wrote: »
    Maybe my expectations are to high. Oh well at least I have the us account. If only I could use my Irish credit card instead of getting the iTunes vouchers all the time.

How do you get your vouchers by the way? The first time I tried I got mine via Walmart.com and PayPal but the last few times the transaction wouldn't go through so I had to get my brother who lives over there to get one for me. Not a big deal but I hate having to bother him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

How do you get your vouchers by the way? The first time I tried I got mine via Walmart.com and PayPal but the last few times the transaction wouldn't go through so I had to get my brother who lives over there to get one for me. Not a big deal but I hate having to bother him

There's a few sellers on Ebay. I've used the same guy a few times and it's been pain free! I can't remember his name now off the top of my head. He just emails me the code on the card, so no need to even post them to me. From ordering the vouchers to actually using them took less than 20 minutes on one occasion :pac:

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    There's a few sellers on Ebay. I've used the same guy a few times and it's been pain free! I can't remember his name now off the top of my head. He just emails me the code on the card, so no need to even post them to me. From ordering the vouchers to actually using them took less than 20 minutes on one occasion :pac:

same here, i always use the same guy and it never takes more than an hour from ordering the code to downloading from the store, although i prefer the uk store as i do find the uk store to be much cheaper for a lot of the same tv shows, sometimes less than half the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Folks, could ye PM me the details of the people ye use?
    Just ordered an Apple TV today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Doodah7

You can get US iTunes cards from Best Buy. They email the code to you. No need for dodgy eBay sellers...

tallpaul wrote: »
    You can get US iTunes cards from Best Buy. They email the code to you. No need for dodgy eBay sellers...

Link?

Link?

I tried them as well as Walmart and I get through the checkout with my American 'address' and the transaction complets but I get an email about 20 minutes later saying they can't accept my paypal address.

Link?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%26%23174%3B+-+iTunes+%2450+Code+(Digital+Delivery)/4173323.p?id=1218459195041&skuId=4173323&st=iTunes&cp=1&lp=1

for example.

Go to best buy.com and do a search for iTunes. A variety of denominations for sale. Follow instructions for international delivery. Once you purchase, you should get an email from them within 10/15 minutes. Redeem code through iTunes/App Store app after you have set up US iTunes account.

I tried them as well as Walmart and I get through the checkout with my American 'address' and the transaction complets but I get an email about 20 minutes later saying they can't accept my paypal address.

With Best Buy, I just use my Irish credit card. No problems.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%26%23174%3B+-+iTunes+%2450+Code+(Digital+Delivery)/4173323.p?id=1218459195041&skuId=4173323&st=iTunes&cp=1&lp=1

for example.

Go to best buy.com and do a search for iTunes. A variety of denominations for sale. Follow instructions for international delivery. Once you purchase, you should get an email from them within 10/15 minutes. Redeem code through iTunes/App Store app after you have set up US iTunes account.

sweet, thanks a lot

Great. I'll try that next time although my account is well loaded at the moment so it might be a while

for example.

Thanks I'll give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

What are some 1080p movies on the US iTunes? all the ones that I've checked are 720p

Brian017 wrote: »
    What are some 1080p movies on the US iTunes? all the ones that I've checked are 720p

Have a look under the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

jc84 wrote: »
    i was going to pre-order the new Underworld movie but it says that the 1080p file is 2.62gb, that must be a mistake, surely

They're only using ~4-5Mbps for 1080p apparently.

2.62GB for Underworld is about 3.9Mbps with a 150kbps audio track. Sounds about right.

At that bitrate, quality will be quite poor. But itunes video quality has always been poor, even 720p. The average consumer doesnt care about visual quality; their perception is influenced more by placebo terms like HD and 1080p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Let's hope. I always feel we're an afterthought for Apple.

Of course we are an after thought. We have a population of 4millions compared to the humungous markets they sell to elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There are no apple products capable of 1080 launched in Irelan yet. Have patience, also there euro office is in cork so should carry a lot more weight in. Apple then having a store does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭gorevs

apologies if its been mentioned elsewhere but interesting to see the new apple tv on the irish store with a reduced price from the old one, i.e. 109 for the new one vs 121 for the old one... no refurbs for sale at the minute

ted1 wrote: »
    There are no apple products capable of 1080 launched in Irelan yet. Have patience, also there euro office is in cork so should carry a lot more weight in. Apple then having a store does.

iPad 2 and iPhone 4S are, and you can pre order the new Apple TV for the 16th.

The new iPad comes out on the 23rd here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

ted1 wrote:

iPad 2 and iPhone 4S are, and you can pre order the new Apple TV for the 16th.

The new iPad comes out on the 23rd here.

Apple make computers too....right :pac:

Mactard wrote: »
    Apple make computers too....right :pac:

Mactard says what? :pac:

• Advertisement

for example.

Bestbuy have a promotion on atm for iTunes. I tried two different cc and both orders were cancelled.

Email said non us cc can't be used to purchase iTunes cards.

Advertisement