Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luke Ming Flanagan is the new Jackie Healy-Rae

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

toexpress wrote: »
    He could nip to Galvins we aren't asking him to spend his hash money on shirts, heaven to betsy we shouldn't expect such things but surely a shirt and tie ...

Whoosh.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Picture-103.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

cournioni wrote: »
    Not just in that constituency, he's respected by people around Ireland, including myself. The OP doesn't like Ming because of what he stands for.

He stands for what now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

mikom wrote: »

Now if only he'd do that more often.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He stands for what now?
    http://www.lukemingflanagan.ie/policies/

I'm amazed he has the time to form these opinions ... being so chilled on the old hash like.

Sorry but I can't take anyone with a pony tail who claims to enjoy toking on a joint seriously when he spouts his "policies"

Also he has a "policy" on mental health, do you think he is aware of the adverse effect of drugs and drug use on mental health?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Stands for hypocrisy. It's green, environment warm and woolly with this bearded sham until it comes down to actually protecting what is a very fragile environment then it's back to feeble populism for the local electorate.

Deserves nothing but contempt.

Also he has a "policy" on mental health, do you think he is aware of the adverse effect of drugs and drug use on mental health?

Dail bar irony.

I heard Minister Reilly drinks.
    Shame on him.

You sound like a grandad to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Wow, some tunnel vision there.

So publican TDs and/or those who drink alcohol, a drug which certainly affects mental health in some, shouldn't have a policy on mental health either then?

I'm amazed he has the time to form these opinions ... being so chilled on the old hash like.

Sorry but I can't take anyone with a pony tail who claims to enjoy toking on a joint seriously when he spouts his "policies"

So your problem is that you cannot take someone seriously because of how they look and because they like to smoke cannabis. I wonder do you have a problem with the rest of the politicians who enjoy their bevvies that go down on their expenses sheets. Do you take them as seriously?

I'm pretty sure he's more aware of what cannabis does to someones health than you are.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure he's more aware of what cannabis does to someones health than you are.

Quoted for truth.

Jev/N wrote: »
    Wow, some tunnel vision there.

So publican TDs and/or those who drink alcohol, a drug which certainly affects mental health in some, shouldn't have a policy on mental health either then?

I am not familiar with any laws of prohibition in relation to alcohol in Ireland. I do so hope they don't exist I do like the occasional glass of wine myself ....

Think about it for a moment, we have laws in this country, if you disagree with them then of course you are free to quit the country but to ask to be elected to the Dail having professed to break these laws and having stated your intention to continue doing so it's just a bit difficult to take someone like Minger the Merciless serious.

So your problem is that you cannot take someone seriously because of how they look and because they like to smoke cannabis. I wonder do you have a problem with the rest of the politicians who enjoy their bevvies that go down on their expenses sheets. Do you take them as seriously?

I have no problem with someone who drinks, in moderation. If they don't then I don't entertain them.

Don't presume to know anything about me or my understanding of drugs and their effects. It's pretty arrogant to make such an assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

What a silly comparison! Luke Ming Flanagan will NEVER be another Jackie Healy-Rae until he develops a sense of style when it comes to headgear.:):)

http://www.icecreamireland.com/images/Caughtwic/JackieHealyRae2-sm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The guy is an absolute joke. He is a ridiculous little man and frankly is an embarrassment as a political representative. Jesus forbid we see anymore like him. Would it really kill him to dress himself properly and that hair just screams mid-life crisis/aging hippy.
    Yes it's such a shame he doesn't spend more of our money on PR guys so he says what you want to hear over what needs to be said. He should then take more of our money to buy himself some nice suits so we can be distracted by his clothes rather than any points.
    He gave up smoking remember, sorry I forgot your memory is selective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

So your ideal Dail would be 166 Jackie Healy-Raes, all playing 'beggar thy neighbour', trying to get special treatment for their local voters at the expense of everyone else? :confused:
    Bad as that sounds, I'd prefer 166 Jackie Healy Raes to the 100+ mainstream politicians, all playing "beggar everyone to bail out Anglo and pander to every foreign interest (the E.U, international media companies)" that Fianna Gael are doing.

Comparing Jackie Healy Rae to FF/FG is like comparing Billy the Kid to Al Capone. There are many orders of magnitude in difference between them.

• Advertisement

I am not familiar with any laws of prohibition in relation to alcohol in Ireland. I do so hope they don't exist I do like the occasional glass of wine myself ....

Think about it for a moment, we have laws in this country, if you disagree with them then of course you are free to quit the country but to ask to be elected to the Dail having professed to break these laws and having stated your intention to continue doing so it's just a bit difficult to take someone like Minger the Merciless serious.

I'm not going to get into a back and forth on this issue as most AHers know this never gets anywhere and no-one's opinions change. Also, it's broadly beside the point. Suffice to say, just because something is down on the books as OK, doesn't mean it devoid of adverse consequences regarding health (mental and physical).

Re the bolded bit, he detracted that statement and said he was going to cease, given the nature of his position.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Yes it's such a shame he doesn't spend more of our money on PR guys so he says what you want to hear over what needs to be said. He should then take more of our money to buy himself some nice suits so we can be distracted by his clothes rather than any points.

He gave up smoking remember, sorry I forgot your memory is selective.

I am shocked at the number of people on here who know me! I really am. Anyway maybe you believe that he quit it and you are entitled to. I have had the misfortune to meet the man and I do not believe it.

Didn't he also say we shouldn't pay the household charge?

I'm not going to get into a back and forth on this issue as most AHers know this never gets anywhere and no-one's opinions change. Also, it's broadly beside the point. Suffice to say, just because something is down on the books as OK, doesn't mean it devoid of adverse consequences regarding health (mental and physical).

Re the bolded bit, he detracted that statement and said he was going to cease, given the nature of his position.

I told my doctor a few weeks ago that I quit smoking ... I am going to light one as soon as I get in the car to go home

I told my doctor a few weeks ago that I quit smoking ... I am going to light one as soon as I get in the car to go home

Listen to your doctor, it's bad for your health

I have no problem with someone who drinks, in moderation. If they don't then I don't entertain them.

Don't presume to know anything about me or my understanding of drugs and their effects. It's pretty arrogant to make such an assumption.
    If you do not have a problem with a person that drinks then you shouldn't have a problem with someone that tokes in moderation. Otherwise, you are a hypocrite.

I can presume all I want, it is my opinion that Ming would know more than most about cannabis' effects, being a user and a person that has studied and campaigned for its legalisation he will have experienced its effects more than most.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭GombeanMan

I highly respect this man for at least sticking to his principles and not selling himself out to Foreign Interests. It's a shame there aren't more like him. To the people complaining about his appearance, what does that have to do with anything? He isn't a fecking waiter FFS. This man remains highly comendable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Oh one of those "drink is not a drug" people.

I am shocked at the number of people on here who know me! I really am. Anyway maybe you believe that he quit it and you are entitled to. I have had the misfortune to meet the man and I do not believe it.
    So your making an assumption about someone you don't like? Not really the most reliable source.
    Didn't he also say we shouldn't pay the household charge?
    I would hope so, and he wouldn't be the only one.

If you do not have a problem with a person that drinks then you shouldn't have a problem with someone that tokes in moderation. Otherwise, you are a hypocrite.

I can presume all I want, it is my opinion that Ming would know more than most about cannabis' effects, being a user and a person that has studied and campaigned for its legalisation he will have experienced its effects more than most.

LOL

I also have a problem with someone who beats his wife, even if in moderation

Similarly I have a problem with someone who drives their car without insurance, even if in moderation.

Now, I have formed some idea of where you are at here so let me explain all that for you. I have a problem with someone who breaks the laws of the land and then asks to be elected to public office. It's very straight forward don't ask to be a public representative when you are proud of your criminality. Even if he apologised for it I would have some respect for him.

As for your presumptions, well you are entitled to those of course that's all they are, you can't have an opinion of my knowledge on the subject given that you have no knowledge of my knowledge.

For whoever suggested that I am a member of the drink is not a drug brigade, again wrong. Of course it is, so is nicotine, but I smoke, so is Panadol but when I have a headache I will take two

LOL

Similarly I have a problem with someone who drives their car without insurance, even if in moderation.

I have a problem with someone who strawmans, even if in moderation

So your making an assumption about someone you don't like? Not really the most reliable source.

I would hope so, and he wouldn't be the only one.

I never said it was reliable, it's just my opinion if I wasn't clear I do apologise but let me make it clear. I believe that he still smoke hash, I believe he lied, but that is my opinion.

Do you genuinely believe that it is the right thing for a TD to advise people to evade tax? Have we all forgotten poor old BFC so soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

isnt Michael Healy-Rae the new jackie Healy-Rae

Ming also had the best hash in galway years ago so for that he has my vote

LOL

Now, I have formed some idea of where you are at here so let me explain all that for you. I have a problem with someone who breaks the laws of the land and then asks to be elected to public office. It's very straight forward don't ask to be a public representative when you are proud of your criminality. Even if he apologised for it I would have some respect for him.

Two words: David Norris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I used to have time for Flanagan back when he wanted the right to smoke his drugs in peace, but since he got elected he has really lost the run of himself with his turf-cutting nonsense and his carping about just about everything. All he needs is a bit more fat and a bit less hair and Michael Healy-Rae will be facing stiff competition for the role of replacing the disgusting Jackie Healy-Rae in the current Dáil. Mattie McGrath is in with a shout too, but sure I never expected anything of that clown.

I hope Flanagan gets booted out at the next election, it might soften his cough a small bit.

its cos he is not stoned anymore.... he had to quit smoking dope or get booted out of office.... now he is sober again he aint cool dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

For whoever suggested that I am a member of the drink is not a drug brigade, again wrong. Of course it is, so is nicotine, but I smoke, so is Panadol but when I have a headache I will take two

But alcohol is a lot more addictive, easier to overdose on, and more damaging to your mental health (and your body) than marijuana. Why judge someone who smokes cannabis if you're fine with drinking.

• Advertisement

And this has something to do with what I say how?

I never said it was reliable, it's just my opinion if I wasn't clear I do apologise but let me make it clear. I believe that he still smoke hash, I believe he lied, but that is my opinion.
    I don't know that he lied and don't really care if he lied about that particular law because that law is the problem, it's causing crime and drug use to skyrocket beyond anything ever witnessed in the history of the human race. No one should support that law.
    Do you genuinely believe that it is the right thing for a TD to advise people to evade tax? Have we all forgotten poor old BFC so soon?
    I want TDs to be honest and not be media whores that will say what they think should be said to appease the most amount of people. If a politician is just toeing the line he can't be trusted or depended upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I have huge respect for Luke Ming Flanagan and theres a lot of misinformed people on here who dont have a clue what their on about.

He represents south Leitrim aswell which has a big farming population.

Theres also the thorny issue of septic tanks aswell that has the country people up in arms :D

I don't know that he lied and don't really care if he lied about that particular law because that law is the problem, it's causing crime and drug use to skyrocket beyond anything ever witnessed in the history of the human race. No one should support that law.

And you think that legalising it will make that go away?

And you think that legalising it will make that go away?
    That's what all the evidence suggests.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by toexpress

I have a problem with someone who breaks the laws of the land and then asks to be elected to public office. It's very straight forward don't ask to be a public representative when you are proud of your criminality.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jev/N

He broke the law of the land because it was an unjust law.
    To quote Bob.......... "If you know your history
    Then you would know where you're coming from"

Oh, and I just remembered.......
    Right I really need some advice because I can't see an end in site to this situation and I am starting to feel physically sick from it.

On the 25th of August 2011 a car pulled up right across my gate, I was in my car directly behind it and indicating. I got out and asked the driver to move it and she put her hand in my face and said in a minute. Obviously this didn't sit well with me and I made her move it there and then. She hurled foul abuse at me (I did return fire which I admit was uncalled for I shouldn't have called her a slag and I did apologise for that) Anyway she sent her boyfriend up to "sort me" he pushed his way into my house and ripped my shirt, he fell like a sack of potatoes when I hit back, he clearly didn't see that one coming. As a result of this their landlord has been trying to evict them.

Anyway this was followed closely by their putting stupid notes through my letter box. Claims that I harass them by making "rude hand gestures" through the window and that I "open the window to laugh at her children through it" her "children" are 16 and 19 and that has never happened. The mother (it's a mother her son and daughter with the regular of the mothers boyfriend thrown into the mix both of whom are alcoholics) has hurled abuse at me as I go to and from the house things like "dirty ******" the latest being on Monday evening last when I sat down here in the afternoon (a very rare afternoon off) she started shouting at me to "turn the **** around" and "mind your own ****ing business". I went into another room and sat in there rather than have a problem.

I discovered before Christmas they were the ones who stole my oil, more than half a tank also before Christmas someone knocked at my door looking for the mother, I said "next door" then shut the door, the result was another stupid note this time stuck to my front door damaging the paintwork. Apparently the taxi woman alleged that I said "the squatters are next door" this never happened. They have a CCTV camera watching me all the time and have told me, in front of the Gardai that they have pictures of me. This evening as I was walking in the daughter 19, started hurling abuse at me I was on the phone at the time with a client, it was all most embarassing.

Worst of all her boyfriend approached me in the village on Tuesday 3rd and threatened to burn my house down. This meant that after some consideration I felt I had to tell my nearest neighbours because they all have young children and I felt I had to alert them. I can't tell you how that feels.

So to recap, home broken into, oil stolen, generally abused and most serious of all a threat to my life and the safety of my property. I have been the Garda, and they are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. It's "being investigated" meanwhile I can't sit down in my living room during daylight hours because it upsets them. I would not feel safe to walk to the nearest shop, which is only 2 minutes walk away, after dark.

I don't know what else to do at this stage, except for work I am a prisoner in my own home. My neighbours no longer call in they just ring me because they don't want her on their case as well and I don't blame them for a moment.

So aside from sitting on the Garda has anyone any suggestions as to how I can bring this situation to it's natural end because I literally can't take much more of this situation.

If only they had been pot smokers, then you would not have had the same trouble.........

Well, given your staunch view on the black and white of the law, I said I would proffer Mr Norris' name. Maybe you're not aware but homosexuality was a crime in ireland until 1993, but unfortunately it was.

While I'm not seeking to compare the situations as being like-with-like, I thought it was an opportunity to displace your view of law abidance and its moral merits or otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭200yrolecrank

I used to have time for Flanagan back when he wanted the right to smoke his drugs in peace, but since he got elected he has really lost the run of himself with his turf-cutting nonsense and his carping about just about everything. All he needs is a bit more fat and a bit less hair and Michael Healy-Rae will be facing stiff competition for the role of replacing the disgusting Jackie Healy-Rae in the current Dáil. Mattie McGrath is in with a shout too, but sure I never expected anything of that clown.

I hope Flanagan gets booted out at the next election, it might soften his cough a small bit.
    Not a hope Flanagan is going from the dail unless he drastically fecks up.
    I would take Flanagan any day ahead of that twat Leo Varadakar or for that matter the whole fine gael party.

mikom wrote: »
    He broke the law of the land because it was an unjust law.
    To quote Bob.......... "If you know your history
    Then you would know where you're coming from"

Oh, and I just remembered.......

If only they had been pot smokers, then you would not have had the same trouble.........

So let me get this straight David Norris broke the law because he had too? You are, I assume you referring to his homosexuality. Well he most likely did, I never did because homosexuality has been legal in Ireland for a long time and I am only 31. I do not now, nor ever have I supported David Norris, very much the opposite. Not because of his sexuality or law breaking but because I do not share most of his views (the letters he wrote for his former partner were sort of the nail in the coffin for me)

In regards to my former neighbours, you can't be sure that I wouldn't have had those problems with them if they were pot smokers. And if you cared to read what I posted you would see that my view is that alcohol should only be consumed in moderation.

You are somewhat clutching at straws there on that one. If you believe that hash should be legalised then you are entitled to that view and I fully respect that is your view but I fail to see why you need to be so aggressive in respect of me expressing my views. You don't have to agree with them but a bit of respect wouldn't go amiss

• Advertisement

You are somewhat clutching at straws there on that one. If you believe that hash should be legalised then you are entitled to that view and I fully respect that is your view but I fail to see why you need to be so aggressive in respect of me expressing my views. You don't have to agree with them but a bit of respect wouldn't go amiss
    You are implying that smoking cannabis is a bad and immoral thing and people that do it shouldn't have any position of responsibility which is nonsense.

Well, given your staunch view on the black and white of the law, I said I would proffer Mr Norris' name. Maybe you're not aware but homosexuality was a crime in ireland until 1993, but unfortunately it was.

While I'm not seeking to compare the situations as being like-with-like, I thought it was an opportunity to displace your view of law abidance and its moral merits or otherwise

I have previously addressed this point, given that I am 31 it has never effected me in anyway so I cannot say how I would have conducted myself in such a situation.

In regards to Norris I don't support him and I don't see the relevance of either the former laws on homosexuality or Norris as neither one effect me they are both very unlikely to displace my views on law abidance. I will always take the view that regardless of how you feel about a law it is there to be upheld and if you want to make changes to it then certainly go about doing that but you must observe the law while doing so if not we run the risk of having mob rule

So let me get this straight David Norris broke the law because he had too? You are, I assume you referring to his homosexuality. Well he most likely did, I never did because homosexuality has been legal in Ireland for a long time and I am only 31. I do not now, nor ever have I supported David Norris, very much the opposite. Not because of his sexuality or law breaking but because I do not share most of his views (the letters he wrote for his former partner were sort of the nail in the coffin for me)

Babble
    I have previously addressed this point, given that I am 31 it has never effected me in anyway so I cannot say how I would have conducted myself in such a situation.
    as neither one effect me they are both very unlikely to displace my views on law abidance.

Blinkered view tbh.
    And if you cared to read what I posted you would see that my view is that alcohol should only be consumed in moderation.

This moderation?
    I am wondering how much is to much? I drink 2-3 bottles of wine in the course of a week now does that sound like a lot?
    Men should drink no more than 21 units of alcohol per week (and no more than four units in any one day).
    Women should drink no more than 14 units of alcohol per week (and no more than three units in any one day).
    http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Alcohol-and-Sensible-Drinking.htm
    A 750 ml bottle of wine contains 9 units.
    Three 750 ml bottles of wine contain 27 units

I'd stop now if I were you.
    You're just embarrassing yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Yeah, what this country really needed for the last decade is people fixing potholes and moaning about not being allowed destroy protected bogs. Forget about disastrous property bubbles, the loss of our sovereignty, going on half a million on the dole, the return of emigration and all that unimportant stuff.

As long as my road is smooth and I can destroy our environment, sure feck the rest of ye. :rolleyes:
    bogs had nothing to do with this country being in the shambles it is now in, as a matter of fact the very people cutting turf are those who kept it real. turf was the fuel that kept most of our homes warm growing up,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

goat2 wrote: »
    bogs had nothing to do with this country being in the shambles it is now in, as a matter of fact the very people cutting turf are those who kept it real. turf was the fuel that kept most of our homes warm growing up,

TDs engaging in parish pump politics and not looking at the bigger picture have a lot to do with the country being in the shambles it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Yeah, that's kind of my point. I've no problem with special interest groups lobbying to destroy our environment 'because their forefathers did', but I don't understand why a national legislator is wrapped up in this when our country is teetering on the edge of collapse for the last 3 or 4 years and for the next few years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

as i already said, bogs have nothing to do with the state of this country, there is more a hazard done to this envoirnment with fine green areas cut up to put up houses with money borrowed by people who did not have a cent to start with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

two of the main reasons ming was voted in was the bogs and roscommon hospital, since day 1 in office he has fought tooth and nail on both issues, even if you don't agree with his policies to see an irish TD actually working on their campaign promises is nearly unheard of in this country

op sorry to disappoint you but unless something amazing happens between now and the next general election ming will top the poll in roscommon very easily, fine gael are done for a long time in this region, i know frank feighan quite well and travelled to many a gaa match with him but he will never serve this county after this term, denis naughten will probably have to run as an independent in order to get elected, FF are at their lowest point and their most high profile candidates are daughters of old TDs (terry leyden and sean doherty) and neither are electable outside their own area

as i already said, bogs have nothing to do with the state of this country, there is more a hazard done to this envoirnment with fine green areas cut up to put up houses with money borrowed by people who did not have a cent to start with
    I'll just post this again in case anyone is interested in reading the background to the bog issue.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    two of the main reasons ming was voted in was the bogs and roscommon hospital, since day 1 in office he has fought tooth and nail on both issues, even if you don't agree with his policies to see an irish TD actually working on their campaign promises is nearly unheard of in this country
    Ming has no influence whatsoever on what happens to Roscommon hospital beyond shrieking about it to anyone who will listen. I've no problem with people doing what they say they will do, the blame really lies with the voters who put him in. Same as with Healy Rae - the rest of the country was screwed so that South Kerry could get preferential treatment. Now that South Kerry is irrelevant in the Dáil, I sincerely hope that they get screwed over for investment etc. for the next decade to even things out.

I'll just post this again in case anyone is interested in reading the background to the bog issue.

So shift the Irish people off the bogs their families worked for decades to salve the conscience of the Dutch and Germans who have none.
    Up next........ Irlander, stop cutting down ash for your hurleys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement