Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baking for Beginners!

Options
  • 08-03-2012 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We are having an event at work next week where people have to bake something and bring it in, the usual ideas have been mentioned but I would stress that I have no experience at this at all, but am really looking forward to trying something.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to what I could make that would not be too hard for a beginner but would be fun also?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Queen/Fairy Cakes

To make 16 big ones

8 Ozs Butter (room temp) or Margarine or That spreadable stuff !
    8 Ozs Self Raising Flour
    8 Ozs Castor Sugar
    4 Medium Eggs (room temp)
    1 Tsp of Vanilla Extract not Essence

You can use Sultanas/Glace Cherries/Blueberries/Raspberries/Almonds/Softened Apples/Finely Chopped Walnuts or a mix of them all to put into the buns

Method -

Mix the butter and sugar together well

Add one egg, stir in well, repeat with other 3

Sieve flour in to mix and stir in well

Add filling - Sultanas/Glace Cherries/Blueberries/Raspberries/Almonds/Softened Apples/Finely Chopped Walnuts or a mix of them

Line your fairy cake tin with cake cases

Fill up the cake cases

Bake at 180degrees for 15-20 mins in fan oven - until golden brown on top

Cool on wire rack.

Cool for 20 mins

Put the kettle on

Make tea or coffee

Put two on a plate

Carry into the TV with tea/coffee or rings your friends to tell them you are one super cool baker and hey presto

Eat and enjoy !!!!

Keep the rest to bring to work !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Great instructions here, I've made a similar cake a bunch of times.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056057715

Baking is easy, its decorating that takes skill so just choose something simple. Lots of great ideas in the cooking club forum with clear and easy instructions. :)

If it gets too scary for you Betty Crocker makes some delicious chocolate cake mixes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭siledee

www.joyofbaking.com

Loads of simple stuff on there...with videos for most. Good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

the coconut macaroons on joyofbaking.com are what got me into baking. They're easy, and sooo tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

For a first time baker I would suggest that you don't make anything that has to have butter and sugar creamed and then egg added as this can curdle and make your cake very heavy. Why not start with a chocolate brownie as the butter and chocolate is melted (you can do this in the microwave or in a heavy saucepan over a very low heat) and the other ingredients just mixed in. This recipe is pretty amazing

Heat oven to 180degrees. Either grease and line your tin or use a silcone baking dish (would definitely recommend for an inexperienced baker)

Melt 300g dark chocolate together with175g butter and a tablespoon of cocoa

Whisk 5 eggs with 550g sugar till they fluff up a bit and change colour slightly

Mix in the chocolate mix, then sieve over 200g self raising flour and mix in lightly

Add 250g of whatever you fancy- chopped white or milk chocolate, nuts, dried cherries...

Bake for about 45mins (should be slightly undercooked). Let cool in the tin then cut into squares.

I'd also recommmend Nigella Lawson's books for faking it til you make it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement