Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The moving to Australia Myth!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

thats a bloody myth too.

For instance, theres 800,000+ positions open at the german jobs office for instance.
    How many of there are the €1-an-hour jobs?
    I never bought into the whole 'immigrate to australia!" thing...
    If you treat it as a years holiday, as most people do, it's meant to be great, as you get good sun and a chance to get out of Ireland for a bit. Personally, it'd be too hot for my liking so I never bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Finneen

Bad Panda wrote: »
    I guess some people have cornered themselves into never being able to emigrate and have become slightly bitter that others can pretty much do what they want.
    You're not Irish anymore after emigrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭e04bf0c8

Hi people,

This topic comes up on a more and more regular basis here and I have to say I have a good laugh every time it does. One thing that is constantly overlooked is the fact there are two very differnt groups of Irish people in Oz, the backpacker and the professional. This must be taken into consideration with a lot of the arguments been made.

Money
    Yes the cost of living here is very high (nobody in WA will deny that!) but this is reflected in the wages. If you are a backpacker constantly traveling from job to job of course you are not going to make a fortune to bring home. If that is why they came here they will be in for a shock quite quickly. If you are not working over here it is very easy to go through a $1000 dollars a week before you know it.

However for the professional as soon as you settle into a job and get yourself a house / flat instead of living out of hostels etc the money really does start building up quite quickly. After 6 months I have more savings than I have ever had in my life.

Visa
    Now for people who bring up the issue of a visa's if you really want to make a go of things here and are willing to put in the effort, sponsorships are quite obtainable at the minute. The problem is there are a ceartain number of Irish people here who come here and believe they are somehow entitled to a long term visa just because they have a degree or trade. Unfortunately it has been lost on a lot of Irish people that you have to earn the right and prove yourself to be allowed live and work in another country. I beleive this stems from Ireland being part of the EU and the ease at which we can virtually live and work anywhere in Europe with relative ease. It wasn't until I moved to Australia that I realised how much of a privilage this was.
    From my expereince it is the backpacker that generally complains about the visa system as they want to keep living the "dream". However with the professional I find they are here to further or even kick start their career due to the lack of oppertunities in Ireland. And as such are more than willing to put in the effort needed to secure a visa.

Bars,
    Yes the bars here are not as good as back home but at the end of the day they are what you make of them. In Ireland you have probably spent the last 10 or 15 years building up your social circle. Because of this you can pretty much go into any bar in Ireland with a few of your mates and have the criac. But guess what, there are just as many sh1t bars in Ireland! It is just the people in them that make them what they are. When you come here you cant expect just to transplant your social life. It will take a few years to build up a cirlce of friends to get to a stage where you can go for that "quiet pint". I feel a lot of people just need to give it more time.

Overall lifestyle
    In Ireland I was a highly qualified engineer who could not get engineering work after leaving college. I was even offering my time free of charge to certain companies just for the experience I was that desperate for work. I eventually manged to get a job where I ended up working 70 hours a week for less than minimum wage. It was the only job I could get. Even at this I only barley managed to keep on top of my bills. I eventually managed to get enough money together to come over to Perth. After 6 months I have a high paying (6 figure salary) very rewarding job. I work 45 hours a week max. I have my own flat, car and have built up some savings already. I am sponsored and my company is already talking about processing my PR visa. In my free time I go swimming, surfing, shooting, jetskiing, weekends away etc. I can afford to go for a few drinks and eat out in nice restaurants. This lifestyle was only a dream to me in Ireland and woudl have been many many many years away if I had not emmigrated. Yes it is tough being away from family and friends but with skype, email facebook etc it is not that bad when I consider the life I have

Obviously everything here is from my own personal experience and is just my own opinion. But nobody can deny I have a better life over here.

To all the people who are annoyed, angry and bitter with the people leaving Ireland all I can say when I am home next Christmas with my tan, nice suit and a pocket full of cash I will happily buy you all a drink or two. At the end of the day Ireland always has been and always will be a nation of begrudgers.

Best of luck to anyone trying to make their way over here!
    And sorry about spelling and grammar. It's the middle of the night at the min!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I see no-one is rebuffing the 'all Aussies are arseholes' point of the second poster... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭toshy321

e04bf0c8 wrote: »
    Hi people,

This topic comes up on a more and more regular basis here and I have to say I have a good laugh every time it does. One thing that is constantly overlooked is the fact there are two very differnt groups of Irish people in Oz, the backpacker and the professional. This must be taken into consideration with a lot of the arguments been made.

Money
    Yes the cost of living here is very high (nobody in WA will deny that!) but this is reflected in the wages. If you are a backpacker constantly traveling from job to job of course you are not going to make a fortune to bring home. If that is why they came here they will be in for a shock quite quickly. If you are not working over here it is very easy to go through a $1000 dollars a week before you know it.

However for the professional as soon as you settle into a job and get yourself a house / flat instead of living out of hostels etc the money really does start building up quite quickly. After 6 months I have more savings than I have ever had in my life.

Visa
    Now for people who bring up the issue of a visa's if you really want to make a go of things here and are willing to put in the effort, sponsorships are quite obtainable at the minute. The problem is there are a ceartain number of Irish people here who come here and believe they are somehow entitled to a long term visa just because they have a degree or trade. Unfortunately it has been lost on a lot of Irish people that you have to earn the right and prove yourself to be allowed live and work in another country. I beleive this stems from Ireland being part of the EU and the ease at which we can virtually live and work anywhere in Europe with relative ease. It wasn't until I moved to Australia that I realised how much of a privilage this was.
    From my expereince it is the backpacker that generally complains about the visa system as they want to keep living the "dream". However with the professional I find they are here to further or even kick start their career due to the lack of oppertunities in Ireland. And as such are more than willing to put in the effort needed to secure a visa.

Bars,
    Yes the bars here are not as good as back home but at the end of the day they are what you make of them. In Ireland you have probably spent the last 10 or 15 years building up your social circle. Because of this you can pretty much go into any bar in Ireland with a few of your mates and have the criac. But guess what, there are just as many sh1t bars in Ireland! It is just the people in them that make them what they are. When you come here you cant expect just to transplant your social life. It will take a few years to build up a cirlce of friends to get to a stage where you can go for that "quiet pint". I feel a lot of people just need to give it more time.

Overall lifestyle
    In Ireland I was a highly qualified engineer who could not get engineering work after leaving college. I was even offering my time free of charge to certain companies just for the experience I was that desperate for work. I eventually manged to get a job where I ended up working 70 hours a week for less than minimum wage. It was the only job I could get. Even at this I only barley managed to keep on top of my bills. I eventually managed to get enough money together to come over to Perth. After 6 months I have a high paying (6 figure salary) very rewarding job. I work 45 hours a week max. I have my own flat, car and have built up some savings already. I am sponsored and my company is already talking about processing my PR visa. In my free time I go swimming, surfing, shooting, jetskiing, weekends away etc. I can afford to go for a few drinks and eat out in nice restaurants. This lifestyle was only a dream to me in Ireland and woudl have been many many many years away if I had not emmigrated. Yes it is tough being away from family and friends but with skype, email facebook etc it is not that bad when I consider the life I have

Obviously everything here is from my own personal experience and is just my own opinion. But nobody can deny I have a better life over here.

To all the people who are annoyed, angry and bitter with the people leaving Ireland all I can say when I am home next Christmas with my tan, nice suit and a pocket full of cash I will happily buy you all a drink or two. At the end of the day Ireland always has been and always will be a nation of begrudgers.

Great post and fair play to you for making the move and more importantly making a success of it. At the moment I'm strongly thinking of making the move myself, Im a qualified carpenter and out of work at the moment!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I see no-one is rebuffing the 'all Aussies are arseholes' point of the second poster... :)

i will, i lived there for a bit back in the 90s

Young aussie males are very cocky, the suicide rate amongst young aussie males is off the scale mainly due to the hyper aggressive macho culture thats prevelant in australian society. If you're in any way weak or sensitive you're automatically looked upon as a fairy, and the whole "actin hard" thing gets a bit tiresome after a while.

> Another thing is that the towns and cites are very far apart, in some cases you could be travelling half a day just to get to the next nearest town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Probably because it is as relevant as saying all Irish people are alcoholic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

fryup wrote: »
    i will, i lived there for a bit back in the 90s

Young aussie males are very cocky, the suicide rate amongst young aussie males is off the scale mainly due to the hyper aggressive macho culture thats prevelant in australian society. If you're in any way weak or sensitive you're automatically looked upon as a fairy, and the whole "actin hard" thing gets a bit tiresome after a while.

Like the cast of Home & Away and other australian shoite shown on TV over here so?

Second comment might be right.. the beours aren't the nicest either. They may look good but bitchy and annoying as anything

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FionnTheBun

Hi people,

Money

Visa

Bars,

Overall lifestyle

Thanks for this post :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Are Aussie lads that bad? closest thing I would have experienced would be frat boys in america-something similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

df1985 wrote: »
    Are Aussie lads that bad? closest thing I would have experienced would be frat boys in america-something similar?

Between the ages of 18 and 22, absolutely. A lot of it has to do with them only discovering alcohol at 18 (underage drinking isn't a big thing at all) so they don't know how to handle it. They go OTT and that, mixed with the already macho personas they have through sport mainly, makes them ****.

It's great for us Irish though because the hot, sexy girls love us. And I say that from first hand experience :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

And why would they.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 retro child

hi all

i have to agree with this post! i found oz ok but not the amazing island we all hear about!! i worked in the mines for a few years as a boilermaker/welder , it was a nightmare and most craftsman and there familys are now heading to this!! i understand people have to immigrate becaues of the show of bastards who put this wonderful country into darkness for now but im sure if offered a job people would stay!! i missed ireland very much and was lucky to find fulltime work when i came home , im still working today thank god and i know it will all get better in the future

oz is no easy stroll as some make out to be (i.e) the expos!! its very warm 30 to 40+ , work is hard as a craftsman , 12hr days , 3 weeks on 1 week off , no friends , no family, night work only at times!!
    the money was good but not worth it , my dear wife and kids were at there wits end we just had to come home!!!

i know whats out there in the real mans working world of mines and heat, you wont see much of the good life and you have to work very hard for all you own!! i wish anyone the best traveling to oz but go with your eyes open , its only when you leave it all behind do you understand what you had or hadnt got!!

cheers

hi all

i have to agree with this post! i found oz ok but not the amazing island we all hear about!! i worked in the mines for a few years as a boilermaker/welder , it was a nightmare and most craftsman and there familys are now heading to this!! i understand people have to immigrate becaues of the show of bastards who put this wonderful country into darkness for now but im sure if offered a job people would stay!! i missed ireland very much and was lucky to find fulltime work when i came home , im still working today thank god and i know it will all get better in the future

oz is no easy stroll as some make out to be (i.e) the expos!! its very warm 30 to 40+ , work is hard as a craftsman , 12hr days , 3 weeks on 1 week off , no friends , no family, night work only at times!!
    the money was good but not worth it , my dear wife and kids were at there wits end we just had to come home!!!

i know whats out there in the real mans working world of mines and heat, you wont see much of the good life and you have to work very hard for all you own!! i wish anyone the best traveling to oz but go with your eyes open , its only when you leave it all behind do you understand what you had or hadnt got!!

cheers

Believe it or not, there's more jobs here than working in mines...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Lived there 10 years ago and while it was cheap then I couldnt believe the ignorance and sheer stupidity of the natives. The country is extraordinary with great sights, facilities etc but the people........

While the aborigines dont do themselves any favours the stench of racism is everywhere.

Yet when you meet an aussie here or travelling out of Australia they are bang on.

The bars are rubbish. Midis and schooners?

I shudder when I think of the place...........

BTW the jobs I got there were through english folk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Hi people,

Money

Visa

Bars,

Overall lifestyle

I mentioned on the spoofer thread a few weeks ago how people suddenly turn into awful bull****ters once they are far enough away so that nobody can see them . Your there 6 months your own flat and car yeah 6 figure salary , they just started you with little or no experience on a 6 figure salary , after buying your house and car and eating in fancy restaurants and going away at the weekends you have managed to save a load of money too . Your post just smacks of the lads coming home from England in the 80s after sitting in a room on their own over there all year to save up and buy a suit and have a few quid to look good when they got home.
    6 figures only out of college.
    Its Austrailia its not imaginationland.
    Just tell the truth nobody will think your a failure because you are being honest .
    Id a mate like you he was earning a few grand a week his own van working on the weekends as a diving instructor , but whenever I seen his mother she would tell me hes doing it rough over there and she keeps having to send him money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

cloptrop wrote: »
    I mentioned on the spoofer thread a few weeks ago how people suddenly turn into awful bull****ters once they are far enough away so that nobody can see them . Your there 6 months your own flat and car yeah 6 figure salary , they just started you with little or no experience on a 6 figure salary , after buying your house and car and eating in fancy restaurants and going away at the weekends you have managed to save a load of money too . Your post just smacks of the lads coming home from England in the 80s after sitting in a room on their own over there all year to save up and buy a suit and have a few quid to look good when they got home.
    Just tell the truth nobody will think your a failure because you are being honest .
    Id a mate like you he was earning a few grand a week his own van working on the weekends as a diving instructor , but whenever I seen his mother she would tell me hes doing it rough over there and she keeps having to send him money.

Weird that, I know lads that are on 6 figure Salarys and they'd never actually tell you that

Weird that, I know lads that are on 6 figure Salarys and they'd never actually tell you that

yea , you know this and they never told you
    Or they pretend to let it slip accidentally

yea , you know this and they never told you
    Or they pretend to let it slip accidentally

Nah, standard pay in that particular company for what they do.
    Never mention it though.

Nah, standard pay in that particular company for what they do.
    Never mention it though.

So how did you find this out , you say that job they do so I take it your not there, Id say your listening to someone.
    Would a doctor get a 6 figure salary only out of college ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

yes, that sounds a bit more like it, although the illegals sound very high... i think it is around 1.5k from reading an earlier article.

This is the most up-to-date article I could find:

http://www.irishecho.com.au/2012/02/09/sharp-rise-in-number-of-irish-wh-visas/15798

I got it

as of 11th June 2011 it was 1075

http://www.irishecho.com.au/2011/06/11/irish-visa-%E2%80%98overstayers%E2%80%99-speak-out/10465
    so wouldn't be far of 1500 now

also a few other stats regarding the number of visas granted to Irish people.

417 WHV grants from 01/07/2010 to 31/06/2011
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

457 Sponsored visa grants inc dependants 01/07/2010 to 31/06/2011

Migrant (emigration) visa grants 01/07/2010 to 31/06/2011

also with regards to the expense of living in Australia we earn and spend $$ here, the prices have not changed that much in the last 7 years that have been living here (maybe increase of 10-15%) but the exchange rate has changed as the $$ is stronger and the € is now a lot weaker. But the price of living has not changed for us because we are still being paid in $$. Its a bit like when the Africans came to live in Ireland in the boom, they are bound to have found it expensive compared to the pittance of pay in Africa but once they were there earning the € it wasn't much difference.

the average wage is $1300+ per week
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74464519&postcount=8

I earn on average $2k pw and I would not class myself as highly paid but probably middle income earner, to give a perspective on the subject its far easier to understand to compare the cost of living with your earnings.

(Beer in my local $5.50)
    1 hours work equivalent 9 beers.
    1 hours work equivalent 36.3 Litres of petrol
    1 hours work equivalent 6 Big Mac Meals

Brand new Base model VW Golf equivalent 502 hours

Of course it all depends on what you are getting paid, if you are below average then you are not not going get the same stretch from you hourly rate but thats the same where ever in the world you are.

So how did you find this out , you say that job they do so I take it your not there, Id say your listening to someone.
    Would a doctor get a 6 figure salary only out of college ?

You sound a bit like an alcholic I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Just go to New Zealand instead :)

cheaper than aus and not full of aussies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

And the spiders!!! DON'T FORGET THE SPIDERS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 retro child

Xavi6 wrote: »

i know buddy, just giving an exsample for fellow craftsman, most leaving ireland are tradesmen and builders at no fault of there own, i believe in time we will have to import tradesman as the country recovers!!

just on the oz thing , i found it to be a bit boring and lacked a real culture , i missed irish ways and what it means to be irish , i missed the soil its self, i think some people say oz is great because it is but i also believe they say its great because they have to! they feel sad and left behind becaues they know they will never be able to return to ireland when things pick up again and it will be to late for many as they will have set up roots in oz!! i know people living in oz over 20yrs who would come home tomorrow if they could but they cant!! my dads brother came home few years back after 30yrs in america and he awlays said he missed ireland everyday of his life!

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭e04bf0c8

And yet again here is one of the begrudgers i was talking about!

I work in the mining industry here and there are plenty of people who will confirm that 100k is a pretty common starting point especially in an engineering field!

How do you know i have little or no experience? Your assuming because i just left college i wasn't working before! The experience i had is what secured my current position.

Finally i never said i owned my own home just that i had my own place. This means as in renting my own place and being completely independent. The point i was making was that this is something that i could not afford to do back in ireland. I ended up having to live with my parents to clear all my debts and build some savings before leaving.

If you want to justify not taking a chance on finding a better life elsewhere that is your choice. At the end of the day i would much rather be over here making a go of it than sitting at home thinking what if!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

At least we haven't ****ed the country and become the laughing stock of the world.

old_aussie wrote: »
    At least we haven't ****ed the country and become the laughing stock of the world.

You are joking right ?

http://www.smh.com.au/world/un-rights-chief-slams-racist-australia-20110526-1f4yy.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

hi all

cheers

The guy was just telling people about his experience, why be a smartarse......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

yeah wer'e nearly as racist as Ireland now.

• Advertisement

I wasn't being a smartarse, I was deadly serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I wasn't being a smartarse, I was deadly serious.

Well then you are an expert in stating the obvious.

Well then you are an expert in stating the obvious.

Possibly so yes.

His doom and gloom story is as narrow an example as the ones that have been saying it's a land of milk and honey. My point is that there are more options available than "12hr days , 3 weeks on 1 week off , no friends , no family, night work only at times" and you don't *have to* go down that road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

Why in the hell would anyone want to do that?

:rolleyes:

Because home is where the heart is and they miss family & friends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭El Jefe

Meh Oz is sooooo yesterday, Canada is where it is at , especially Vancouver, spent a year there and was gutted to leave but will prob try to move back there again.
    • The people are so friendly
    • Good summers and great winters
    • Snow boarding/skiing
    • Amazing standard of living
    • The sushi
    • BC BUD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭snowgal

El Jefe wrote: »
    Meh Oz is sooooo yesterday, Canada is where it is at , especially Vancouver, spent a year there and was gutted to leave but will prob try to move back there again.
    • Snow boarding/skiing
    • The sushi

what about spiders?? strange question I know but if I was to travel anywhere it would probably be Canada. But looked it up on the web and they have damn biting spiders!! scared, sad I know

snowgal wrote: »
    what about spiders?? strange question I know but Iif I was to travel anyweher it would probably be Canada. But looked it up on the web and they have damn biting spiders!! scared, sad I know

Skangers are far worse than a few dodgy spiders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭snowgal

true, very true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Why is boards so thoroughly obsessed with Australia and people emigrating there these days?

I think it's more the media which in turn leads to discussion here. Same for Canada but not to the same extent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭El Jefe

snowgal wrote: »
    what about spiders?? strange question I know but if I was to travel anywhere it would probably be Canada. But looked it up on the web and they have damn biting spiders!! scared, sad I know

Really , never heard of them or saw them. Dont think Canada has any dangerous spiders , Oz has a sh!t load though , that would def turn me off, not a fan of our 8 legged friends. Friend of mine recently posted a pic of a huge funnelweb in her bedroom. Wild life is amazing in Canada as well , saw so much walking around Vancouver; whales, beaver, bear, moose, skunks racoons. Vancouver is paradise, just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Really , never heard of them or saw them. Dont think Canada has any dangerous spiders , Oz has a sh!t load though , that would def turn me off, not a fan of our 8 legged friends. Friend of mine recently posted a pic of a huge funnelweb in her bedroom. Wild life is amazing in Canada as well , saw so much walking around Vancouver; whales, beaver, bear, moose, skunks racoons. Vancouver is paradise, just my opinion though.

I'm emigrating now just to have a look.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

• Snow boarding/skiing
    • The sushi
    Vancouver is the pick of the Canada Cities IMO.
    Amazing outdoor life on offer there.
    Breathtaking landscapes. Located between the Ocean and the ski slopes.
    Generally speaking they get nice summers and the winter is the mildest of all the major centres of population in Canada.
    However the cost of living is high there and of all the Canadian cities it is the furthest away from Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Never been to Canada but I don't believe you saw whales walking around Vancouver, stop misleading people :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Never been to Canada but I don't believe you saw whales walking around Vancouver, stop misleading people :p

Could have been a load of biddies heading for Weightwatchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Sick to death of people saying heading to

“I have to go to Australia, Joe”

I lived in Australia for a few years.

If you want to bum around Oz for 12 months in flip flops, good luck to you.

But let’s not be realistic

While it’s a good country, and I had a great time there, but it’s no paradise

1. Weather Myth
    Weather is crap for approx. half the year: April to Octoberish in Melbourne & Sydney can be cold and miserable. It might be 8 Degrees and raining in Dublin in the winter. In Melbournein the winter its 12 degrees and raining. Its still miserable

2. The Pubs
    are rubbish. They have been destroyed by poker machines. Sucked any type of atmosphere out of them. Watching people pour every penny they have into a flashing machine is not the best way to enjoy a beer

3. Work
    Wages are just not that high. How many people do you know have returned from Australia wealthy?
    If you are out of work for a few week, you get no dole. ALL your savings will be wiped out.

4. They HUGE expense of Holidays back to Ireland
    Every Irish immigrant wants to go home for holidays. Because it’s so far away, most people want to go home for a month. Expensive. If you have 2 kids to throw into the equation, that’s a serious expense. How much savings do you think you can make in a year? 20k? How much would a holiday in Ireland cost for a month ?

5. Australian Government’s attitude to Irish immigrants
    The Australian Government LOVE the Irish because they work at all the crap jobs AND they spend every penny they earn in Australia boosting the economy.

6. Mosquitos
    Thank God we dont get them bastards here

:D

you obviously bummed your way around for a year in flip flops then. I suppose you get out of it what you want - if you want to make money you will, if you want to sit at a bar stool and spend all your earn you will.

don't blame the country. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Vancouver is basically Sydney without the @rseholes and seasons....

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

thewing wrote: »

Heard Vancover has a big drug problem .Its crawling with Druggyies on the streets .The weather in a place like Peth would be far better than Vancover over the whole year .Also in my week here in Perth i have seen no druggy type people or even beggers ( well just 3 in a whole week ).

Guess it comes down to visas though for most people ,and how easy or hard they are to get .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Have you lived in Australia? Met many Australians? I am just curious as I am Australian and I am not an @rsehole, nor are the friends I left behind.:)

Genuinely curious how you can label an entire nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Which one's got the most Triads?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Which one's got the most Triads?

I would guess Vancover ,but as far as i know they keep to their own Chinese Community .

• Advertisement
Advertisement