Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The moving to Australia Myth!

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Go to New Zealand instead!

thewing wrote: »
    Vancouver is basically Sydney without the @rseholes and seasons....

Have you lived in Australia? Met many Australians? I am just curious as I am Australian and I am not an @rsehole, nor are the friends I left behind.:)

Genuinely curious how you can label an entire nation.

because the poster probably met like two maybe ? Formed an opinion made a gross overgenalisation..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Have you lived in Australia? Met many Australians? I am just curious as I am Australian and I am not an @rsehole, nor are the friends I left behind.:)

Unsubstantiated stereotyping. All of the Australians I've met are bang on, infact remind me of us Irish.

I work out in the desert on FIFO as a skilled worker with unskilled Australians. Alot would be redkneck, sort of. Met some proper cattle station cowboys.. All offering a tonne of beer and a story. Had some great laughs since I got here. Small bit racist at times but the Irish can be aswell. Every single Oz I met really dislikes Abbo's. I've got used to it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

i know buddy, just giving an exsample for fellow craftsman, most leaving ireland are tradesmen and builders at no fault of there own, i believe in time we will have to import tradesman as the country recovers!!

Cant see this happening in the short term anyway - Ireland is finished building on a mass scale for at least the next 10 years. (and hopefully will never attempt to build at the same stupid rates as before)

While I agree its no fault of their own, they did chase into the dream that Ireland got keep building 80k houses a year for the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I met some muppets in Australia....not as many as I've met here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Between the ages of 18 and 22, absolutely. A lot of it has to do with them only discovering alcohol at 18 (underage drinking isn't a big thing at all) so they don't know how to handle it. They go OTT and that, mixed with the already macho personas they have through sport mainly, makes them ****.

It's great for us Irish though because the hot, sexy girls love us. And I say that from first hand experience :D

This is of course so different to the 18 and 22 year old guys in Ireland that can handle their drink, don't have macho personas and aren't wanker like at all?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

e04bf0c8 wrote: »

Visa
    Now for people who bring up the issue of a visa's if you really want to make a go of things here and are willing to put in the effort, sponsorships are quite obtainable at the minute. The problem is there are a ceartain number of Irish people here who come here and believe they are somehow entitled to a long term visa just because they have a degree or trade. Unfortunately it has been lost on a lot of Irish people that you have to earn the right and prove yourself to be allowed live and work in another country. I beleive this stems from Ireland being part of the EU and the ease at which we can virtually live and work anywhere in Europe with relative ease. It wasn't until I moved to Australia that I realised how much of a privilage this was.
    From my expereince it is the backpacker that generally complains about the visa system as they want to keep living the "dream". However with the professional I find they are here to further or even kick start their career due to the lack of oppertunities in Ireland. And as such are more than willing to put in the effort needed to secure a visa.

Now that you mention it, I've come across a fair few EU citizens that find it completely unreasonable, that I, as a New Zealand citizen, can go and live in Australia, without having to get a visa beforehand and they can't!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Never got what the big deal is with Australia.
    It seems like the people are pretty racist (also huge spiders:().

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I wouldn't live there, I visited for a while and found it a backward country with an abundance of bog ignorant people. I suppose its hard to break from their convict past, its quite evident in the lack of a proper class structure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I wouldn't live there, I visited for a while and found it a backward country with an abundance of bog ignorant people. I suppose its hard to break from their convict past, its quite evident in the lack of a proper class structure.

Here, here. Well said old boy. Bloody ignorant peasants don't know their place in society.

After you finish typing, polish my boots Jeeves.

Did you just type that I told you to polish my boots you fool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

old_aussie wrote: »
    yeah wer'e nearly as racist as Ireland now.

Impossible. How many detention centres on this island?

An aussie will never be in a position to slag off an Irish person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Sick to death of people saying heading to

“I have to go to Australia, Joe”

I lived in Australia for a few years.

If you want to bum around Oz for 12 months in flip flops, good luck to you.

But let’s not be realistic

While it’s a good country, and I had a great time there, but it’s no paradise

1. Weather Myth
    Weather is crap for approx. half the year: April to Octoberish in Melbourne & Sydney can be cold and miserable. It might be 8 Degrees and raining in Dublin in the winter. In Melbournein the winter its 12 degrees and raining. Its still miserable

2. The Pubs
    are rubbish. They have been destroyed by poker machines. Sucked any type of atmosphere out of them. Watching people pour every penny they have into a flashing machine is not the best way to enjoy a beer

3. Work
    Wages are just not that high. How many people do you know have returned from Australia wealthy?
    If you are out of work for a few week, you get no dole. ALL your savings will be wiped out.

4. They HUGE expense of Holidays back to Ireland
    Every Irish immigrant wants to go home for holidays. Because it’s so far away, most people want to go home for a month. Expensive. If you have 2 kids to throw into the equation, that’s a serious expense. How much savings do you think you can make in a year? 20k? How much would a holiday in Ireland cost for a month ?

5. Australian Government’s attitude to Irish immigrants
    The Australian Government LOVE the Irish because they work at all the crap jobs AND they spend every penny they earn in Australia boosting the economy.

6. Mosquitos
    Thank God we dont get them bastards here

:D

Most of the above is a crock. Where do you get your info from OP?

Have got friends there and they're doing quite nicely

Regardless, I wouldn't like to be stuck with you on a long journey

As regards mossies ......... they are in Ireland over the past decade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

LostGirly wrote: »
    This is of course so different to the 18 and 22 year old guys in Ireland that can handle their drink, don't have macho personas and aren't wanker like at all?!

Believe it or not they're far worse over here. I moved here when I was just 22 so have experience of both environments and the young Aussie blokes are well worse in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

No one goes to a country to save money. I'm now working in London due to no work at home and the only reason I'm here is to get experience. The other factor is to get away from the doom and gloom I experience back home.

A year away opens opportunities and also gives you a great experience. Those crying out that you eventually come home broke are true but, you never leave home seeking wealth, rather you go to get a job that you can't do back home and achieve some fulfilment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

edgecutter wrote: »
    No one goes to a country to save money. I'm now working in London due to no work at home and the only reason I'm here is to get experience. The other factor is to get away from the doom and gloom I experience back home.

A year away opens opportunities and also gives you a great experience. Those crying out that you eventually come home broke are true but, you never leave home seeking wealth, rather you go to get a job that you can't do back home and achieve some fulfilment.

I'm sure you're just talking specifically about WHV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Well I went to Oz on a WHV in 06/07 and came home with more money than I went out with and only worked for 7 months. If you want to piss it up with other tools wearing their local GAA jersey do it at home.

Back now in Perth on a 457.

The Good
    • Its not fcuking raining
    • Loads of work to do and the workshy mob think we are run off our feet whereas I consider it just ticking over
    • Working a short journey from the city centre on a fantastic wage (approx double what I was on at home)
    • Pool downstairs which I am gonna dunk myself in once I have this typed

The bad
    • Rent is scarily dear (couldn't care less about booze and fags, I don't care for either)
    • So many overweight people, aussies need to get rid of the flab pronto
    • Cars are meh and waaaaaay to much for what you get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

You for got to mention that most Aussies are arseholes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Slidey wrote: »
    • So many overweight people, aussies need to get rid of the flab pronto

True that, and I find Perth to be very much a city of extremes - either giant fatties or absolutely stunning beach bodies.

Days like today the beach bodies are everywhere and it's time for the perving shades to come out :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Too hot, I can't even handle Ireland in the Summer.

A spider the size of an oil tanker gave me dirty looks last time I was there.

There was a Cockroach too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Xavi6 wrote: »
    True that, and I find Perth to be very much a city of extremes - either giant fatties or absolutely stunning beach bodies.

Days like today the beach bodies are everywhere and it's time for the perving shades to come out :cool:

I need to get a car, way to far from the beach for walking. Did see some runners in Belmont centre this morning though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

It would be nice to spend one year somewhere where there's no talk of bale outs, recession, IMF, banks, bondholders, tax increases etc.

And somewhere where your not being raped by the price of fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Slidey wrote: »
    [*] Cars are meh and waaaaaay to much for what you get
    [/list]

Yeah but Petrol, Road Tax & insurance is so cheap, you can buy a cheaper car in Ireland and still spend more running it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I wonder if there is a thread on a Polish board saying the exact same thing about here?:D

The wages are awesome if you are in anyway professionally qualified, I was getting paid about $1600 a week for editing word documents. Having said that could not wait to leave the place as there is zero culture and the racism is so blatant and no where near what it is like in Ireland. Also you cannot go outside between the hours of 12 and 3 in summer or you will burst into flames.

I like Dylan Moran's take:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

3. Work
    Wages are just not that high.

Wages are actually very high by comparison to here for skilled workers, Also the cost of living there is about half what it is here so goes even further.

The cost of living is very high in Australia. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

I have to say the best part of livin here is that everyone seems(Aussies and Irish) upbeat and friendly probably because of all the sun and you don't hear half the moaning there is at home.People are genuinely happy and nice to each other.....point in moany thread.

Also its hot and fun....but feck it sure I must just be one of those shallow,happy backpackers that likes flip flopping around.....in no hurry home.Love my job here,paid way more than at home and meeting people from all over the world.................and oh I spent the day sunning on the beach today.....why would I want to be in this beautiful place?????:O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Alwayson

fryup wrote: »
    i will, i lived there for a bit back in the 90s

Young aussie males are very cocky, the suicide rate amongst young aussie males is off the scale mainly due to the hyper aggressive macho culture thats prevelant in australian society. If you're in any way weak or sensitive you're automatically looked upon as a fairy, and the whole "actin hard" thing gets a bit tiresome after a while.

> Another thing is that the towns and cites are very far apart, in some cases you could be travelling half a day just to get to the next nearest town.

I was offered a great job in Australia recently, they confirmed it in writing and started organising the visa for me. They brought me out to see the place and meet the people. When I got back they were calling me and e-mailing almost every day, hyping me up about the job. Then I filled in an obligatory medical questionnaire and answered all the questions truthfully. Result: silence for over a week. They had seen something they didn't like: I'm on Lithium.

They don't seem to know how to cope with this. They have subsequently downgraded the job offer to conditional pending more detailed medical assessment. They are now reserving the right to withdraw the offer totally if they decide I would not have the mental strength to do the job. Its an office job by the way. I have never had any problems in Ireland, and have great references which they have checked out. Whether I end up getting the job or not, I wonder what it would be like trying to work in a prejudiced environment like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ThreeVictim

Sergeant wrote: »
    And in 2005 Ireland was supposedly one of the richest countries in the world.

this is a fecking fairy tale :pac:

You are brain washed by the system maybe.;)

Bad Panda wrote: »
    I guess some people have cornered themselves into never being able to emigrate and have become slightly bitter that others can pretty much do what they want.

Ah, for God's sake. :rolleyes:

I'm all for people travelling, but everyone has different goals and aspirations for their life and some of them, believe it or not, may involve staying in Ireland. Shocking, I know!

Seriously, grow up. And I speak as someone with nothing tying me to Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

fixed

I lol'd. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Strange place Oz. The good things about it are amazing and the bad things about it are awful. I was back there at Xmas for the first time in 6 years (married to a Melbourne girl so a frequentish visitor) and could not fathom just how expensive it had become. I live in Italy and two Cappuchinos and two pastries costs 5 euro. We had 3 coffees and one pastry in the cafe in Myers in Melbourne and it set us back 25 dollars. This was a recurring thing in terms of cost of food, public transport, parking etc. I lived there for 2 years between 2001 and 2003 and it was dear but it just seems to be out of control now. Wage rates are good, but they are not jaw dropping and I just wonder if the prices being charged for goods and services are sustainable going into the future?

However although I am happy with my life in Italy, were things to ever change and it was a choice between going back to Ireland or living in Australia, Oz would be a clear winner. I cannot see things righting themselves in Ireland for a long long time unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 retro child

how fickle we are!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

The wages are awesome if you are in anyway professionally qualified, I was getting paid about $1600 a week for editing word documents.

That's very interesting because here you can be professionally qualified earning peanuts while people on the dole are as well off if not better sometimes when all is considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Never got what the big deal is with Australia.
    It seems like the people are pretty racist (also huge spiders:().

This is pretty ironic if you're living in Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I was in australia for a year. It was a good experience.

I remember being embarrassed at the sight of the herds of sports jesery wearing simpletons roaming the streets, terrified at the thought of not being near their mammies for a few months so thought it safer to head over with 'the lads' (the same people they'd known all their lives) drink together in pubs (just like back home) & generally just carry over the same routine they'd always had, all their lives over to 'Oz'. :rolleyes:

Sure whats the point? Thats just getting pissed with the lads in a different country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I was in australia for a year. It was a good experience.

I remember being embarrassed at the sight of the herds of sports jesery wearing simpletons roaming the streets, terrified at the thought of not being near their mammies for a few months so thought it safer to head over with 'the lads' (the same people they'd known all their lives) drink together in pubs (just like back home) & generally just carry over the same routine they'd always had, all their lives over to 'Oz'. :rolleyes:

Sure whats the point? Thats just getting pissed with the lads in a different country.

What do you think you did over there that they didnt do? They probably travelled more or less just the same as those who didnt wear sports jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Alwayson wrote: »
    I was offered a great job in Australia recently, they confirmed it in writing and started organising the visa for me. They brought me out to see the place and meet the people. When I got back they were calling me and e-mailing almost every day, hyping me up about the job. Then I filled in an obligatory medical questionnaire and answered all the questions truthfully. Result: silence for over a week. They had seen something they didn't like: I'm on Lithium.

They don't seem to know how to cope with this. They have subsequently downgraded the job offer to conditional pending more detailed medical assessment. They are now reserving the right to withdraw the offer totally if they decide I would not have the mental strength to do the job. Its an office job by the way. I have never had any problems in Ireland, and have great references which they have checked out. Whether I end up getting the job or not, I wonder what it would be like trying to work in a prejudiced environment like that.

That happens in Ireland too. I went for a job here in Ireland, interview went well, they checked my references, was sent for a medical, people I knew working in the company had been told I was being offered the job, then after the medical (I have some joint problems which have never affected my work) .....silence. They eventually let me know I wasn't getting the job as it was offered to someone else (which they subsequently did, but they turned it down) and so after a few weeks it was re-advertised again.

There's the 2 types..

People who go to Australia in a pack and never meet anyone else.. Just checked facebook and after a year, I still recognise everyone in every photo. Boring and cliché.
    People who go to Australia or Canada and do professional work.. My brother being a great example and I've another few friends who are doing it. Fair feks to them, I hope to be the same if and when I make it to Oz or Canada.

For now though, I don't want to go near Oz.. Or at least until my friends have left the city I want to go to. I want to live in the same city as my brother and get the same career job as I had back home but fuk going there and getting sucked into the Irish pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

There's the 2 types..

People who go to Australia in a pack and never meet anyone else.. Just checked facebook and after a year, I still recognise everyone in every photo. Boring and cliché.
    People who go to Australia or Canada and do professional work.. My brother being a great example and I've another few friends who are doing it. Fair feks to them, I hope to be the same if and when I make it to Oz or Canada.

For now though, I don't want to go near Oz.. Or at least until my friends have left the city I want to go to. I want to live in the same city as my brother and get the same career job as I had back home but fuk going there and getting sucked into the Irish pack.

What do you mean by professional work?. Do you mean opposed to craft work?.

If I was living in some city and my supposed friend wouldn't consider coming near the place until I had left, I wouldn't consider them a friend TBH.

If I was living in some city and my supposed friend wouldn't consider coming near the place until I had left, I wouldn't consider them a friend TBH.

Yeah, you can socialise with your friends and still do your own thing! Kinda weak-willed to think you'll get "sucked in".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 R1chm0nd

Yeah it's hell out here. The weather, food, beer, people, lifestyle, attitudes, transport and women are all awful.

Please spread the word around Direland.

I'll start spreading the word out here about how good the weather, food, beer, people, lifestyle, attitudes, transport and women are back in Direland.

With any luck the influx of optimistic Aussies will turn around the economy!

Hmmm. Or maybe not...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Finneen wrote: »
    You're not Irish anymore after emigrating.

Ah no you'd be wrong the only thing that changes is that you dont currently live in Ireland :confused:

Whats the obsession with Australia and Canada anyway, I'd safely say the vast majority of people leaving the country are going to the UK. No Visa, plenty of jobs, very similar culture but different enough to make it interesting and much more multi-cultural.

And man their drinks are great(real cider/real ale)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Ah no you'd be wrong the only thing that changes is that you dont currently live in Ireland :confused:

Whats the obsession with Australia and Canada anyway, I'd safely say the vast majority of people leaving the country are going to the UK. No Visa, plenty of jobs, very similar culture but different enough to make it interesting and much more multi-cultural.

And man their drinks are great(real cider/real ale)

Bit boring though!! I lived in Yorkshire for a few years, it's grim!! Very, very grim :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Originally Posted by Finneen

Sounds like something from 1960s Fianna Fáil manifesto .

Why then would Irish people who live abroad renew their passports every 10 years and need to have Irish embassys around the world or the embassys of other people who don't live in their country of birth ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Finneen wrote: »

What a stupid statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Going to Australia is such an irish thing.. Why cant they go to France or somewhere? id rather jump off a cliff than get off a plane following a 24hr flight and see someone in an county GAA jersey and then go to an Irish Bar.

In my personal opinion every one is going to "OZ" just cos everyone else is. Same a few years ago, everyone went to oxygen just cos everyone else did and it was trendy even though they hated all those indie, Kings of Leon Junk bands playin. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Sick to death of people saying heading to

“I have to go to Australia, Joe”

I lived in Australia for a few years.

If you want to bum around Oz for 12 months in flip flops, good luck to you.

But let’s not be realistic

While it’s a good country, and I had a great time there, but it’s no paradise

1. Weather Myth
    melbournes winter is identical to irelands summer

2. The Pubs
    are the same as here if not better

3. Work
    at least you can get a job and wages are decent

4. They HUGE expense of Holidays back to Ireland
    who would want to come back to this sh1thole?

5. Australian Government’s attitude to Irish immigrants
    The Australian Government LOVE the Irish because they work at all the crap jobs AND they spend every penny they earn in Australia boosting the economy.

Probably true

6. Mosquitos
    they invented repelant for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Carson10 wrote: »
    Going to Australia is such an irish thing.. Why cant they go to France or somewhere? id rather jump off a cliff than get off a plane following a 24hr flight and see someone in an county GAA jersey and then go to an Irish Bar.

In my personal opinion every one is going to "OZ" just cos everyone else is. Same a few years ago, everyone went to oxygen just cos everyone else did and it was trendy even though they hated all those indie, Kings of Leon Junk bands playin. :D

The speaking French part might put a few off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

ITS easy to go there ,theres plenty of irish there, they speak english.They like the irish.And the economys booming,after september 11th ,its not so easy to go to america ,or to work without a green card.
    The culture is similar to ireland, its not just its in fashion to go there.
    I,D say its hard to work in france or germany ,if you only speak english.
    Maybe you could make the same money in dubai ,but would you want to live there?
    They have good schools and a good health care system.
    Theres always people who go abroad , and just socialize with the irish, thats human nature.
    There seems to be alot of people going to canada too.
    CAN you think of a country thats more welcoming to the irish, and wages depend on your
    qualifications, if you go there to work as a barman ,dont expect to get rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I'd safely say the vast majority of people leaving the country are going to the UK.
    You wouldn't be so safe saying that.
    much more multi-cultural.
    When were you last back in Ireland? :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    When were you last back in Ireland? :D

some parts ( eg some of rural Ireland) is less touched by immigration that elsewhere.

a Lot of people are quietly going to the UK to work all right.

Advertisement