Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dublin Media

• 08-03-2012 3:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

They are the most annoying, boring, pathetic bunch of moaning whingebags. Everytime I open a newspaper or turn on the radio/tv I hear the same old ****e about the recession. Change the ****ing tune for **** sake. What about some positivity, ye negative bastards?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm pretty sure all the newspapers are national.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

In fairness, the media are just pandering to the public, it's really the public that are miserable b*stards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

You should stick to the Mullingar media then. Unrepentant positivity flows from their every word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ireland's Own ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Tune into Bog FM instead, especially the community births and deaths show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

trolololol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

flash1080 wrote: »
    They are the most annoying, boring, pathetic bunch of moaning whingebags. Every Time I open a newspaper or turn on the radio/tv I hear the same old ****e about the recession. Change the ****ing tune for **** sake. What about some positivity, ye negative bastards?!

Yep everyone should read de examiner, nothing but happy news in it.;):)

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cts=1331216217030&ved=0CDQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.examiner.ie%2F&ei=6L5YT4byNYOr0QWct6noDQ&usg=AFQjCNG6JOXcW6zSKUn1OiXifCBSP0d1WQ&sig2=flgXmey3rkNuVmZJk6cA8A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Actually I thought it was noticeable last year for a while that RTE in particular went on a "good news offensive" where they found some miserable couple of jobs or "an investment plan" to announce a couple of times each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

If you just stick to watching Nationwide* with a nice cup of tea and a digestive, I think you'll find Ireland is a grand place to live briming with can-do positivity.

I've found that since I switched off Vinny Brown and Plank Kenny and stuck to Mary Kennedy, I'm a much happier and contented person!

*WARNING: prolonged exposure to Nationwide may result in symptoms such as a compulsion to knit Arran jumpers or become a craft cheese-maker in Donegal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

smash wrote: »
    You're clearly not an avid reader of The Kerryman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

They are the most annoying, boring, pathetic bunch of moaning whingebags. Everytime I open a newspaper or turn on the radio/tv I hear the same old ****e about the recession. Change the ****ing tune for **** sake. What about some positivity, ye negative bastards?!

Lets all be positive and pretend its not happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Your right the country is'nt fcked, it's all the medias fault.:rolleyes:

Lets all be positive and pretend its not happening
    We don't need to pretend it's not happening, neither do we need to hear about it every single day in the news. Other countries in a recession don't listen to this ****e every day. I blame Fine Gael, they're ruining this country and forcing this ****e on us. The blueshirts own newspaper is probably the worst for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I don't even understand the term, it's retarded.

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Your right the country is'nt fcked, it's all the medias fault.:rolleyes:
    I'm right, but not for the reason you say I'm right.

You're clearly not an avid reader of The Kerryman.
    That's not a Dublin newspaper though! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

We don't need to pretend it's not happening, neither do we need to hear about it every single day in the news. Other countries in a recession don't listen to this ****e every day. I blame Fine Gael, they're ruining this country and forcing this ****e us. The blueshirts own newspaper is probably the worst for it.

Then you need to change the title of the thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

This is true, but most of the 'national' media (with the exception of The Examiner) tends to inhabit a Dublin-centric bubble. It's very noticeable when living outside Dublin.

It's very noticeable when living outside Dublin.

Why would you want to do that?

:D:D

We don't need to pretend it's not happening, neither do we need to hear about it every single day in the news. Other countries in a recession don't listen to this ****e every day. I blame Fine Gael, they're ruining this country and forcing this ****e on us. The blueshirts own newspaper is probably the worst for it.

Are you one of those people who throw rocks at firemen when they are called to a burning house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Moaning about moaning.

That will help.:D

Why would you want to do that?

:D:D
    Because Dublin is a complete ****hole. Obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

This is true, but most of the 'national' media (with the exception of The Examiner) tends to inhabit a Dublin-centric bubble. It's very noticeable when living outside Dublin.

a quarter of the population live here tho. With so many people here, you may find a large chunk of the papers are bought by Dubs, therefore there's no point harping on about something that'll affect 100 people in some small villiage, when there's something in Dublin that could affect 100,000 people.

Fran1985 wrote: »
    a quarter of the population live here tho. With so many people here, you may find a large chunk of the papers are bought by Dubs, therefore there's no point harping on about something that'll affect 100 people in some small villiage, when there's something in Dublin that could affect 100,000 people.
    But that's not really what I'm getting at. Some small piddling thing in Dublin will be covered and big news because the journos live 15 minutes away. Something bigger that affects as many people around the country won't even get a mention.

Like I said, you need to step outside the bubble to be able to see it. You don't know the stuff that is ignored because you never heard about it in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Where are all the property programs gone?

I mean I miss the programs about somehow missing out that i do not have that holiday home in the sun, but I think they all got burnt with the property crash.
    Or the programs with I have €600,000 to spend on a new home or second home.

The Dublin media are great, they promote whatever is in fashion. I am not a fashionista and if the people in the media want to talk about recession and how hard it is for some of the well known presenters in the media to pay their bills when they earn hundreds of thousands of euro a year, well it just makes me fell better that I can manage my money and the fact we didn't all party and go off our heads on illegal substances while buying property.

The news media is too Dublin centric, like the whole rubbish debate on Greyhound...

Min wrote: »
    The news media is too Dublin centric, like the whole rubbish debate on Greyhound...
    Ah yes. The 'raised bog' of the metropolis, if you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Maybe because it's the capital city, the centre of political, economic and cultural life in the country and home to over a quarter of the population?

goose2005 wrote: »
    Maybe because it's the capital city, the centre of political, economic and cultural life in the country and home to over a quarter of the population?
    You might think that, but no. I've lived inside and outside Dublin for at least a decade of each.

Like I said, you can't see the bubble if you are inside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I agree OP, lets start a business venture together.

We can start our own newspaper and call it The Daily Woof.

Our key demographic would be right wing canines between the ages of 3 and 11 years old.

We can get Lassie to right a column with all the latest gos on Hollywood canines.

• Advertisement

Here's a convenient example from one of today's papers...
    Dublin is the 24th most reputable country in the world
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Downlinz

The Irish media is very negative although I hadn't necessarily made the connection with purely the dublin influenced. They probably are more negative than most, particularly with the recession which they seem to lap up any reference going to it but I think Irish culture in general is a negative, cynical and begrudgery one.

Advertisement