Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazing Lava River in Hawaii

• 08-03-2012 3:15pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Proably the best video I've ever seen close up.

A surge of lava spews out of a rupture in the lava tube system and is heading down steep cliffs, or pali in Hawaiian. This strong flow is being supplied lava from Kilauea Volcano's Pu`u O`o Crater four miles to the northwest. The rupture was at the 1600-foot elevation about four miles northwest of Kalapana Gardens, and directly above the old Royal Gardens subdivision.
    Further down the mountain I shot the rough a`a lava and chunky pahoehoe lava river, and at the 800-ft elevation I videoed the lava 'toes'.
    Video shot by Leigh Hilbert February 24th, 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

dont think I'd be going that close to it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

The sound of it popping and bubbling is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

You'd be dying to take a piss on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

To Alcohol wrote: »
    You'd be dying to take a piss on it.

Men are so lucky. :D

Great video. Thanks.

ETA: That is so surreal - at 1.32 in video a sort of fantasy book character face with a hand with curled fingers appears and seems to be melted as it goes down the river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Looks amazing on 1080P you can see every bit of detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Lirange

Breathtaking. But not sure I'd want to watch this a few hours after having some dodgy curry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

That is an amazing piece of video!! Fantastic!

Advertisement