Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing Credit Card Account.

Options
  • 08-03-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering before I ring the bank, is it possible to close my Credit card account(which I owe money on) and continue to pay off money each money.

If I did this would I be able to save the goverment levy of 30€. I don't use the card anymore.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i asked about doing this before (mbna) and was told to just cut up the card and keep paying and that i would be hit for stamp duty etc. they said they could not do anything else for me.

if its with your bank maybe they could give you a personal loan to clear it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Sidetracker

You should be very careful how you do it. Credit card Company might put you on a defaulters list. Discuss it with card company beforehand and be clear with them that you do NOT go on any debtors list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Dont think this can be done. If you dont want the credit card anymore have you considered trying to get a loan elsewhere to clear the credit card and then repay the loan. This way lower interest rate and no stamp duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Savker

I got MBNA to freeze my card, I can only make repayments now and no more fear of the card being skimmed. Once I have the balance paid off the account will be closed (by August going well)

Advertisement