Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do the Irish not want a government (or any of things that go with it?)

• 08-03-2012 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

Not a day goes by when there isn't whinging and moaning about the government/this party/that politician and to be honest it gets a bit tedious.

I am coming to the conclusion that the Irish people simply don't want to be ruled by a government, any government. They want a society free of laws, taxes etc. A society where we get everything handed to us on a platter and we are not answerable to anyone.

Am I wrong, or would people simply prefer not to have any higher authority?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Is today going to be the "AH day of stupid conclusion I reached based off a couple of articles and internet posts"?

If yes, the above is mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Not a day goes by when there isn't whinging and moaning about the government/this party/that politician and to be honest it gets a bit tedious.
    Have you ever lived outside Ireland? Its the same everywhere,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

You have to have something to moan about, Its a human nature. And sure the Irish are great at it ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Ireland has a government?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think we just want a government that doesn't live the high-life at the same time that it's cutting everything to ribbons. Not a week passes by for example, that we don't hear about some minister wanting to pay his crony Special Adviser over the odds. Politicians are already packing their bags for the international Paddy's Day global piss-up (always under the guise of bringing back thousands of jobs, when all that they do bring back are bags of duty-free and bullsh1t).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

You shouldn't try to control things beyond your reach. Actions of governments are included in this. Politicians will always lie, as they always have and always will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

after hours is a load of gash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

That's 'cause there's too many days of the week. I blame the government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

squod wrote: »
    That's 'cause there's too many days of the week. I blame the government
    There are too many states nowadays. Please eliminate three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Have you ever lived outside Ireland? Its the same everywhere,

exactly I have American friends that are blaming the rising petrol prices world wide on Obama. people just need a reason to complain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

People are fed up of all the lies every party tells to get into power, the fact they pay themselves too much and give themselves too many benefits.
    Then they tell the peasants they need to pay more taxes while the gravy trains never ends in the Dáil.
    Do a terrible job and you can retire at 50 on €150,000 a year, a pension they haven't paid for but made themselves entitled to.
    As long as the people pay for them we have the right to despise them when they only look out for themselves.
    I don't want health insurance but this government intends on everyone having to buy health insurance, who the hell do they think they are.
    Ia pay them enough taxes but they just want more and more while wasting a lot of it.

These are some of the reasons why people complain about the politicians, they want from us while having their snouts in the trough all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i long for a digital government.... just buy one of IBM's supercomputers and make it do the job of all politicians. no more corruption then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'd personally love a little bit of anarchy once in a while, especially on this fine sunny day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

i long for a digital government.... just buy one of IBM's supercomputers and make it do the job of all politicians. no more corruption then.

Never had a corrupt sector on your hard drive I see.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Never had a corrupt sector on your hard drive I see.:pac:

if you owned a supercomputer i'm sure you can afford a redundant backup drive array :rolleyes:

also supercomputers don't use windows as their main os

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I am coming to the conclusion that the Irish people simply don't want to be ruled by a government, any government. They want a society free of laws, taxes etc. A society where we get everything handed to us on a platter and we are not answerable to anyone.

you couldnt have described our existing and previous govt more accurately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

As ever...YES>
    As with similar threads along these lines which you have become involved in can i point out the following:
    You live at home, have no kids to care for, no mortgage to pay and few of these new taxes concern you. Basically you dont know what the big bad world is like under our never ending conveyor belt of corrupt, self serving and inept governments.
    When you do your attitude might change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Yes, I would prefer not to have a higher authority or a nanny state.

Your higher authority/nanny state (your parents) are housing you so I can see how you long for higher authorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

They want a society free of laws, taxes etc. A society where we get everything handed to us on a platter and we are not answerable to anyone.

Are you still living at home with your folks Audrey?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Are you still living at home with your folks Audrey?

It turned out to be so in a similar thread she started along the lines of "Why do people protest so much'. Perhaps she has since moved out and so is qualified to speak on this topic..... Audrey?

Oh here it is
    Theres also a hum dinger where she chastises folk for having issues paying their own TV licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I want a government, but only if it's actually democratic.

As in, when I vote for someone I vote based on the policies they promise. If they break those, the deal is null and void.

In other words: The government better behave as advertised when we were selecting one, otherwise we should have a way to kick them out without having to wait until the end of their term.

Advertisement