Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballinasloe hospital

Options
  • 08-03-2012 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

Someone told me recently that I could end up giving birth in the same room as a complete stranger down in Ballinasloe hospital. Is this true?! Maybe it's too much TV but I was under the impression I'd have my own room for the delivery and then be in the ward. I have only had one visit there so haven't been shown the maternity ward yet. I have to say the idea of a stranger being in the same room, partitioned by curtains or not, REALLY bothers me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

How about going for a tour of the maternity ward at the hosp? That way you can ask any of your questions directly to the staff there & quite possibly see the specific room you will labour in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭skeptik

Ayla wrote: »
    How about going for a tour of the maternity ward at the hosp? That way you can ask any of your questions directly to the staff there & quite possibly see the specific room you will labour in.

as I said I have only had one visit to the hospital so far so on the next one I will be asking for a tour but I just thought someone on here may have been able to give me a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

Never heard of that at all. I had my own room when i was in Ballinasloe. Although when i was in it was quiet. But i cannot imagine another person in the
    labour room i was in it was too small.

the woman who told me kind of changed their story when they seen how annoyed I got at what she told me. First she said there could be 2 women in the same room only seperated by a curtain, then she said you'd be in your own room but the door would be left wide open. Two very different things and this woman has had 2 kids down there so I don't know what to think!

All my friends had babies there and i never heard of anyone sharing a room.
    They didnt leave the doors open while i was there . I found the midwives lovely also. The labour rooms are very close to one another so you will prob hear some screaming. If you are taking the ante classes they show you the ward then. Hope this has helped.:D

• Advertisement

elaney wrote: »
    All my friends had babies there and i never heard of anyone sharing a room.
    They didnt leave the doors open while i was there . I found the midwives lovely also. The labour rooms are very close to one another so you will prob hear some screaming. If you are taking the ante classes they show you the ward then. Hope this has helped.:D

Thank you :D the screaming I don't mind, you're gonna hear that in any maternity ward in any hospital. It was just the thought of having a stranger beside me in the room where the most important thing in my life is going to happen. You've put me at ease :D

No problem . Ask if you can to have a look around the next time you are there.
    Best of luck with the pregnancy. Im in next month for my first scan.

elaney wrote: »
    No problem . Ask if you can to have a look around the next time you are there.
    Best of luck with the pregnancy. Im in next month for my first scan.

Oh good luck with it. It's brilliant. They were very good with me. Spent ages getting really good pictures for me. Hope they do the same for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

Not true ... I was there a couple of weeks ago and my husband asked the midwife ... They have 4 delivery rooms and also another treatment room which can be used ... In all the time the midwife had been there she'd never seen all the delivery rooms occupied at the same time. Hope this helps.

Knit wit wrote: »
    Not true ... I was there a couple of weeks ago and my husband asked the midwife ... They have 4 delivery rooms and also another treatment room which can be used ... In all the time the midwife had been there she'd never seen all the delivery rooms occupied at the same time. Hope this helps.

Excellent. It does indeed help. Thank you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

OP, I wonder if the person you were talking to wasn't referring to the pre-delivery areas? I know in some places if your labour is taking awhile they'll put you in a pre-delivery area where you could likely be sharing the room with other early-stage labouring women. Then, when things start heating up they'll transfer you to the delivery suite. This is the way it was for me in Sligo, and the way I'd imagine it to be most places...that way they can reserve the actual delivery rooms (with all the equipment/etc) for the women who are ready for it.

Ayla wrote: »
    OP, I wonder if the person you were talking to wasn't referring to the pre-delivery areas? I know in some places if your labour is taking awhile they'll put you in a pre-delivery area where you could likely be sharing the room with other early-stage labouring women. Then, when things start heating up they'll transfer you to the delivery suite. This is the way it was for me in Sligo, and the way I'd imagine it to be most places...that way they can reserve the actual delivery rooms (with all the equipment/etc) for the women who are ready for it.

That's quite possible too. That I wouldn't mind either. Again as long as they aren't in the room when I'm actually giving birth!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

You will probably labour in the shared rooms, but give birth in the delivery suite, which accomodates only one person. That is the case for most, if not all, hospitals as far as I'm aware.

I know that, in OLOL, I laboured in a four bedded ward (all four beds occupied) then was whisked around the corner to the delivery suite when I was examined and found to be 10cm.

Advertisement