Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

well 300eu to spend for some upgrades! ( i love birthdays! )

Options
  • 08-03-2012 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

So misses was nice to me and now i can use 300eu on something i want for my birthday! :p

so i want to sink that in to pc lads and i am open to suggestions! Its not that i need to upgrade, i just want to pimp it up! :D

my current spec:

8gb ram
    64gb ssd
    500gb hdd
    gtx 570
    22inch 1080p
    22inch 1650x1050 monitors

old dell keyboard ( i would trust it with my life lol )
    CM storm Sentinel gaming mouse.
    5.1 logitch speackers
    My thoughts so far:

get a 2tb hdd and a mechanical keyboard, that corsair k60/k90 looks cool

120gb SSD for steam and something else?

second gtx 570?

a brain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

if you could get a second GTX570 for ~€220, then another 64gb SSD to RAID0?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I think it's time to just bin that old system now. :pac:
    Don't worry, I offer a disposal service in that line.

What about that monitor that you were looking at?

A 120Hz one might squeeze in or the 24'' Dell IPS.

Monotype wrote: »
    I think it's time to just bin that old system now. :pac:
    Don't worry, I offer a disposal service in that line.

What about that monitor that you were looking at?

A 120Hz one might squeeze in or the 24'' Dell IPS.
    or the ebay 27" IPS's ;)

Are you using SH as a guinea pig? :D

It would be in budget alright assuming you didn't get slaughtered by customs. He did say that he wanted the a 27'' monitor so you might as well get one of high resolution and quality. I've seen the Dell one and while I'm not sure it would be worth the ~€600 for the average user, the resolution is pretty stunning with an enormous, expansive desktop.

Monotype wrote: »
    Are you using SH as a guinea pig? :D

It would be in budget alright assuming you didn't get slaughtered by customs. He did say that he wanted the a 27'' monitor so you might as well get one of high resolution and quality. I've seen the Dell one and while I'm not sure it would be worth the ~€600 for the average user, the resolution is pretty stunning with an enormous, expansive desktop.
    im getting it, just waiting for a week for a friend to take this IIyama off me when his new rig is built :D

FWIW the Korean's label it as $100 and dont leave the invoice inside. one of the lads on overclockers got hit with customs in the UK... €15 :D

it'd be really sweet if it could OC to 100hz like some of the guys on their forums.

im going for the tempered glass version i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Cheers lads. I know I was looking in to monitor before, thought I wanted a 27 inch one.! Unfortunately I need a 2.5kx1.5k resolution to have it look nice on 27inch. So problems:

Problem a: 27 inch monitors with okay'ish quality will be out of my reach.

Problem b: single gtx570 won't handle that high resolution :(

Problem c: I can't use 3 monitors, because nvidia supports only 2 ports at same time do I will have perfectly good monitor with no use :(

You could nudge down the detail a bit to compensate for the high resolution.
    You could Mrs ShadowHearth your third monitor?

I suppose a hard drive space upgrade would be the next in line for upgrade. 500GB is not huge these days.

What about a 7950? I got the impression that you weren't all that gone on the 570. You can get them for €400ish (HWV prices). I think that you could get the most of €200 back selling your 570. If it worked out and you were in the right place at the right time, you could get a 2TB for €100.

+300 cash
    -400 7950
    +200 570
    -100 HDD

Lot of 'if's there, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

OR you could sell one of your other monitors, get a secondhand 570 and SLI, and then get the 27"?

+300 Mrs ShadowHearth
    +80 (?) monitor
    -300 Shiny Monitor
    -200 gtx 570.

Thats a ~200 loss, but silky smooth frames on 2560 x 1600? Thats not that bad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

*ahem*

WATERCOOLING YOU IDIOT!

:D

Serephucus wrote: »
    *ahem*

WATERCOOLING YOU IDIOT!

:D

A feck no!! :D no "WC" For me thanks!!! ( ironically I am typing this of the throne lol )

Selling 570 and getting 7950 + hdd sound great to be honest. I wonder how long would it take to sell it though.

On the other side I dunno how well 2x570 scale.

Dunno if it's worth getting 7950now. They said 670i is coming out in march. 7870 comes out soon too. What I'd I would sell my gtx 570 and get 2x 7870?

All this is nice, though I am having really small hdd :(

Keep them coming lads. There are already good combos :))

• Advertisement

Why not? You could cool your CPU now, and have everything else setup to add a GPU waterblock in when you decide what you're getting.

On that note, I'd wait to see what NVIDIA's got. Yeah, you could upgrade, but c'mon, the 570 isn't exactly bad, or old, at this point, so you might as well game with what you've got for another month and then see what your options are.

A bigger HDD could be good though. Maybe sell the 64GB M4, and get a 128GB and 1/2TB drive or something.

what if i can bump up budget to 350-400 lads? :o

Definitely watercoling. :)

Definitely watercoling. :)

Somebody throw him out ! :D

New speakers/headphones/sound card, maybe? Dunno where you rank sound so maybe not something to consider, but I figured I'd mention it.

Steam Spree? And origin? :D If we were closer to the Christmas sales you could buy the whole store with that!

Put €100 away and keep it for the Summer sale (not a bad idea Eboggles).

Well sound is not something I would be very good at. I just don't feel much difference. As long as 5.1 works with my speakers I couldn't give a toss. I just don't have sensitive ears I guess. I couldn't make a difference.
    I have a huge backlog of games still got so many steam games bought and newer even installed. And I am wasting time with freaking monster hunter and lumines on ps vita now!
    Thought ssd for steam only would be good idea. I freaking hate those huge loadings on shogun 2!

I was just checking sli gtx 570 and it looks very Impresive. Very good scaling. Reviews a bit old, but I guess newer drivers made it even better.

I wonder if those will drop in price? Or they will dissapear same way all 6 series dissapeared with no price drop!

If you're thinking of an SSD for Steam, why not something like this instead? All the benefits of an SSD, but you don't have to keep swapping out your most-played games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

If you're thinking of an SSD for Steam, why not something like this instead? All the benefits of an SSD, but you don't have to keep swapping out your most-played games.

Would you see a significant improvement with one of these over a normal HDD? Considering if you're using it purely for games it may not bode well if you're playing different games on a weekly basis. Now I don't have a clue just curious and wonder if any of you gents could enlighten me.

I sow those hybrid and I was quite tempted myself. Dunno if there will be advantage for the price when I already got boot drive ssd.

Anyway I slept on it and decided that whatever combo it will be I will need an storage solution. Maybe 1-2tb 7200 hdd for games. Then the rest gpu maybe lads? Anyone know a good price gtx 570? I will get way more benefit from SL then selling my 570 and getting 7950 etc

I can't find a good deal on 570 + hdd. Goes up around 400eu :(

So you want to stay towards the €350 end I take it?

This looks like an absolute steal: http://www.adverts.ie/1420793

So you want to stay towards the €350 end I take it?

This looks like an absolute steal: http://www.adverts.ie/1420793

20eu for 1TB? sounds too good to be true.

i like the cheap bastords who still try to get it for 5-15eu... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'd wait to see what AMD's 7800 series are priced and nvidia new range because by the looks of it your PC is well able to cope with high settings on any game for the next year at least,the CPU for the next 2-3

Well 78xx series are really feck all good to me. It basicly same performance for same money. Nvidia 670i will be way out of my budget with 500eu +++.

Unfortunately prices do not drop on old gen when new on is out . It just goes outpf stock. :( no second hand gtx 570 for sale too.

I really want to get hdd atleast anyway

Got it, you could get another 6870 and take the one from your Q6600 rig and Crossfire on your main one, then sell your 570? You could make a profit from that but you might need a replacement for your other rig. But say you get the 6870 for €160 and sell the 570 for €200, you've got an extra €40 on top of whatever you're putting in, which could get you a new SSD for steam, and a new hard drive!

I don't want to butcher my good old q6600. I still play with it and watch stuff. I can't go back to 8800gt as it has no hdmi :(.

Anyone know best deal for 1-2th hdd 7200? I'll get that and then I wil look in to gpu.

• Advertisement
Advertisement