Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Door to door religion peddlers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Now you are perhaps beginning to understand how the Africans felt when white people turned up with a Bible in one hand and a shovel in the other (the shovel was to dig out the gold and other valuable resources while the natives were distracted by the book of fairy tales and looking up at the sky to try and see that place the missionaries were talking about). :rolleyes:

Does it not bug you also when Irish people turn up on your doorstep trying to sell you some kind of juju? :D

Ireland didn't export Christianity, which originated in the Middle East. We actually imported it, which was a major mistake, although we later started exporting its derivatives.:(

Incidentally, I had a visit from a couple of Jehovah's Witness women last week, first time for years that any purveyors of religion have come near me. I just told them I was originally from Ireland and had gotten quite enough of religion there, and they politely left without trying to argue. One of them was a bit of all right as well, but the other a right old boot.:eek:
    I think it was very arrogant of Irish people to go abroad trying to convert people. I'm all in favour of leaving people to enjoy their own religions or have no religion, whichever the case may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

I've just had 2 black gentlemen at my door trying to sell me religion. Now I've got nothing against religion although I'm not religious. But it bugs me that I have foreigners of any race, colour or creed calling to my home trying to save me or whatever it is they want. I didn't answer the door but I could hear them at the next door neighbours. Ireland exported Christianity, I really don't think we need it sold back to us.

It always amuses me, the declaration of a non-racist standpoint, whilst at the same time pointing out that the colour of skin and in the same sentence mentioning the word 'foreigner'. Indeed, I recall the first time I ever encountered a Sikh who spoke with a deep Glaswegian accent. The image and the voice were so alien to my presumptions that it left me speechless and led me to question my arrogant pre-supposition that I was not racist.

Now, there are 2 points here:

1. Ireland did not in my view export 'Christianity', but attempt the 'propagation of the faith' i.e. spread what they themselves had learned from foreigners and in my view, Ireland, Catholic, or otherwise is hardly in the position absolute knowing authority when it comes down to the finer points of the Christian faith (of which there are many flavours).

2. Foreign, or Not, those people peddling religion are in their view missionaries, of which there are still an awful lot if Irish in the further reaches of the world.
    Thus the indignation of being 'sold' Christianity, I find quite amusingly conceited.

As for not needing Christianity to be sold back to 'us', it's horses for courses, no ? Church attendance is in an un-merciful decline. Should that be your flavour, I would suggest that it does need to be sold back, and quick...

Anecdotally, as a boy, I witnessed how my uncle dealt with two Jehovah's witnesses who called.
    He invited them in. Let them have their spiel, offered them tea etc and when they had finished their exceptionally pious and rather patronising monologue, one of them proudly announced "Of course, I've just finished a 6 week bible study course".
    "Really ?" Uncle replied. "I'm a priest of 30+ years and a professor of Theology...".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Put an inverted, burning crucifix on the front lawn - might save both parties time and effort?

fatboypee wrote: »
    It always amuses me, the declaration of a non-racist standpoint, whilst at the same time pointing out that the colour of skin and in the same sentence mentioning the word 'foreigner'. Indeed, I recall the first time I ever encountered a Sikh who spoke with a deep Glaswegian accent. The image and the voice were so alien to my presumptions that it left me speechless and led me to question my arrogant pre-supposition that I was not racist.

Now, there are 2 points here:

1. Ireland did not in my view export 'Christianity', but attempt the 'propagation of the faith' i.e. spread what they themselves had learned from foreigners and in my view, Ireland, Catholic, or otherwise is hardly in the position absolute knowing authority when it comes down to the finer points of the Christian faith (of which there are many flavours).

2. Foreign, or Not, those people peddling religion are in their view missionaries, of which there are still an awful lot if Irish in the further reaches of the world.
    Thus the indignation of being 'sold' Christianity, I find quite amusingly conceited.

As for not needing Christianity to be sold back to 'us', it's horses for courses, no ? Church attendance is in an un-merciful decline. Should that be your flavour, I would suggest that it does need to be sold back, and quick...

Anecdotally, as a boy, I witnessed how my uncle dealt with two Jehovah's witnesses who called.
    He invited them in. Let them have their spiel, offered them tea etc and when they had finished their exceptionally pious and rather patronising monologue, one of them proudly announced "Of course, I've just finished a 6 week bible study course".
    "Really ?" Uncle replied. "I'm a priest of 30+ years and a professor of Theology...".

I recounted a story of 2 black gentlemen, whom I assume are foreigners, calling to my home to try to convert me to their religion. To me the fact that they are black is nothing more than a part of the story. I am not biased against their religion, I don't even know what their religion is. I would find it arrogant of anyone calling to people's homes to convert them. I just think that it is particularly arrogant to move to a country or visit it, and feel that you have the right to try to convert people.
    If people disagree with my opinion that fine, but it is childish to assume that everybody who mentions somebody's colour or religion is either racist or bigoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

rgmmg wrote: »
    Put an inverted, burning crucifix on the front lawn - might save both parties time and effort?

If you do that, the man from the local council will come round and crucify you for burning stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I had two lads call to the house one Saturday I was out washing the bike, (Jehova witnesses I think). I've lots of tatts and piercings, shaved head etc. and not the smallest of blokes - my retort to the boys - "seriously lads, do I even look remotely interested in religion??" They didn't even reply, they just smiled, turned on their heels and briskly walked away! LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Lived in an estate around 2 years ago where Jehovah Witnesses gathered every Friday in huge numbers in the house right across from mine............probably annual sacrifice of goats or crows, I assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

I recounted a story of 2 black gentlemen, whom I assume are foreigners, calling to my home to try to convert me to their religion. To me the fact that they are black is nothing more than a part of the story. I am not biased against their religion, I don't even know what their religion is. I would find it arrogant of anyone calling to people's homes to convert them. I just think that it is particularly arrogant to move to a country or visit it, and feel that you have the right to try to convert people.
    If people disagree with my opinion that fine, but it is childish to assume that everybody who mentions somebody's colour or religion is either racist or bigoted.
    It depends on the context in which you mention their colour or religion. The way you phrased your original post led most people, including myself, to believe that you have a problem with the fact that they are black. It just sounnds like a bit of a racist rant, which I'm sure it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Lived in an estate around 2 years ago where Jehovah Witnesses gathered every Friday in huge numbers in the house right across from mine............probably annual sacrifice of goats or crows, I assume.

An annual sacrifice every Friday? :confused:

• Advertisement

It depends on the context in which you mention their colour or religion. The way you phrased your original post led most people, including myself, to believe that you have a problem with the fact that they are black. It just sounnds like a bit of a racist rant, which I'm sure it's not.

I think the fact that people automatically assuming that I was racist because I used the word black is very sad. It's a huge leap. My rant is about having religion brought to my door. The fact that the men were foreigners annoyed me because I perceive it as arrogance. Being annoyed at a persons arrogance does not make me a bigot. For me the colour of someones skin is completely irrelevant. It was merely part of a story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

toexpress wrote: »
    I get Jehovas (sic?) now and then there is a commune of them around here somewhere.

I just say things like "sorry I am setting up my own religion, Gay Witches for Abortion, would you be interested?"

Usually sees them off fast enough
    to be fair my motivation is the tax free status that setting up a religion enjoys

I'd totally sign up for your religion!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

I've said it before and I'll say it again......tolerance is not exactly your strong suit, is it??:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

When the Pope John Paul II died (jesus, my polish pals took that very badly), I was door stepped that morning by Jevoha's witnesses. Sadly, i stayed too long chatting to them, slagging them off about trying to get us when we are down, the feckers came back only for my mates to slag me off when they were looking for them. I had not the heart to tell them to feck off the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I always invite them in, by the end of their visit they're converted to my religion.

Pandora2 wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again......tolerance is not exactly your strong suit, is it??:rolleyes:

I'd forgotten about you. Clearly I made an impression on you though. Have you nothing better to do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Yeah, I do....

Note to self: Angry Kitten AKA Gufnork.....Add to ignore list;)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Yeah, I do....

Note to self: Angry Kitten AKA Gufnork.....Add to ignore list;)

Er I never quite understood what annoyed you most. You're the sterotypical oppressed single mother. I made it quite clear at the time that I was talking about a specific type of awful parent. Now you decided to take offence at that which leads me to think that you are either a proffessional moaner who delights in taking offence where none is intended or you identify yourself with the kind of bad mother I described. Either way I truly don't care. You bore me so I'm leaving this thread, its what people do when they're bored, they leave. Whether its for fake boobs or not. You might want to think about that. Might help you in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

token101 wrote: »
    You got two well hung black lads at the door on international womens' day, I think you should be grateful. Just saying.

Now that is racist, just because they are black doesn't mean they have big angry looking cocks, does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Two knocked at my door the other day and the woman said "Do you know about Armageddon" in an African accent, I said "Yeah good film, Bruce Willis and Aerosmith did the sountrack" and closed the door on them.

If people want spiritual enlightment they will find it themselves not by being coerced on your door step

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Now that is racist, just because they are black doesn't mean they have big angry looking cocks, does it?

Well, that's interesting. Do you often see cocks as being angry (or happy, or sad)?

Well, that's interesting. Do you often see cocks as being angry (or happy, or sad)?

Ah don't try and tell me you've never seen an angry looking cock!ye know - sweaty with the bulging veins and all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Ah don't try and tell me you've never seen an angry looking cock!ye know - sweaty with the bulging veins and all
    How can you see the veins under all the feathers.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    How can you see the veins under all the feathers.

no I am talking about a penis, not the avian cock

I think the fact that people automatically assuming that I was racist because I used the word black is very sad. It's a huge leap. My rant is about having religion brought to my door. The fact that the men were foreigners annoyed me because I perceive it as arrogance. Being annoyed at a persons arrogance does not make me a bigot. For me the colour of someones skin is completely irrelevant. It was merely part of a story.

Well said, my wife is a foreigner and I too perceive being a foreigner as a sign of arrogance.

Nicolas Sarkozy, Adolf Hitler, The Queen, Americans - all arrogant and all foreigners - coincidence?

I always give a person's skin colour when telling a story, it just help aid a better visual perspective.

I fear that's an image which will stay with me until my dying days.

I fear that's an image which will stay with me until my dying days.

Really, I find it very easy not to think about cock

Really, I find it very easy not to think about cock

You must have an ability to separately communicate and process thoughts. I do not have this ability.

Well said, my wife is a foreigner and I too perceive being a foreigner as a sign of arrogance.

Nicolas Sarkozy, Adolf Hitler, The Queen, Americans - all arrogant and all foreigners - coincidence?

I always give a person's skin colour when telling a story, it just help aid a better visual perspective.

My husband is a foreigner and is not a Christian he also has a black grandfather, Jeebus I must definitely be a racist bigot so. Funny how I never noticed that. When I said arrogance I meant that I think it is arrogant of people to go to a country and try to persuade others in that country that their own religious beliefs are wrong. Its an opinion of people going door to door with religion not a blanket criticism of foreigners in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

I ask to see the last page of any of their literature and then enquire as to why there are no references. When they reply with "the bible is our reference" ask them why is it that much of the stories in it vary greatly even though all of the people who wrote them were there at the same time. I enjoy annoying them, try it next time.

• Advertisement

My husband is a foreigner and is not a Christian he also has a black grandfather, Jeebus I must definitely be a racist bigot so. Funny how I never noticed that. When I said arrogance I meant that I think it is arrogant of people to go to a country and try to persuade others in that country that their own religious beliefs are wrong. Its an opinion of people going door to door with religion not a blanket criticism of foreigners in Ireland.

So why mention his skin colour? It really is racist to believe that a black man going door-to-door peddling fantastical nonsense is any different than a white man doing likewise.

Personally I would shoo the black Christians and the white priests with equal vigour.

I'm not saying your a bad person, just a product of your environment. If we confront our racism then it is easier to address it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Ireland exported Christianity, I really don't think we need it sold back to us.

Revenge ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I've just had 2 black gentlemen at my door trying to sell me religion. Now I've got nothing against religion although I'm not religious. But it bugs me that I have foreigners of any race, colour or creed calling to my home trying to save me or whatever it is they want. I didn't answer the door but I could hear them at the next door neighbours. Ireland exported Christianity, I really don't think we need it sold back to us.

Tell them that you're a paedophile and ask could they have a word with someone about getting you off the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I had 2 asian ladies knock at my door a few months ago who asked me to take a look at this video they had on their laptop. Being the nosey fooker that I am I obliged. Watched 2 minutes of it then said I'm not interested. It was some god loves you always video. My mam reckons they were trying to brainwash me:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You want to be careful, I knew this guy who got offered religion in the local carpark of his supermarket. Turned out he purchased a carton of milk instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

An annual sacrifice every Friday? :confused:

Not sure what you're confused about, the fact I said they sacrifice goats or the fact I used annual in a weekly term :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

There was no assumption made. I was merely pointing out that in the context of the post, their skin colour, or the fact that you identified them as 'foreign' has no place. Even going to the lengths of making the point of moving to a country and trying to convert people as very often those attempting the converting are from the USA or Canada and are white I have also encountered my fair share of Irish people door stepping...

FWIW I personally think that everyone is innately racist, its part of nature to be that way and everyone, me included makes assumptions based upon skin colour, appearance etc. We go to great lengths to be aware of this and modify our behaviour accordingly but for me anyway, sometimes I make a statement or assumption that to others may appear racially prejudiced.

I'm not calling you racist and I never mentioned bigotry, as for me being childish, or assuming ? Hardly...

ziggy23 wrote: »
    I had 2 asian ladies knock at my door a few months ago who asked me to take a look at this video they had on their laptop. Being the nosey fooker that I am I obliged. Watched 2 minutes of it then said I'm not interested. It was some god loves you always video. My mam reckons they were trying to brainwash me:pac:

Did the video have a happy ending?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

fatboypee wrote: »
    There was no assumption made. I was merely pointing out that in the context of the post, their skin colour, or the fact that you identified them as 'foreign' has no place. Even going to the lengths of making the point of moving to a country and trying to convert people as very often those attempting the converting are from the USA or Canada and are white I have also encountered my fair share of Irish people door stepping...

FWIW I personally think that everyone is innately racist, its part of nature to be that way and everyone, me included makes assumptions based upon skin colour, appearance etc. We go to great lengths to be aware of this and modify our behaviour accordingly but for me anyway, sometimes I make a statement or assumption that to others may appear racially prejudiced.

I'm not calling you racist and I never mentioned bigotry, as for me being childish, or assuming ? Hardly...

Is it a learned behaviour? When my sister was 4 or 5 she was having her birthday and my Mum, who taught at the school, was asking her who she wanted to invite from her class. She made a list of about 10 girls and couldn't remember the name of the last girl. My Mum was asking questions like "What colour is her hair? Where does she live? Does she have any sisters?" etc Eventually, after 30 mins of interrogaion, she found out the girl she meant was the only black girl in the school, but it never occurred to my sister that the colour of skin differentiated her pal from everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Did the video have a happy ending?

Didnt get that far. They started tutting and saying what about your little boy then when they seen my son:mad:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

They could'nt give away buns in a famine mormons and the like that talk on street corners .Religion is the only adventure there is but not the popular versions ,that's all they are.....cola.

This PC gone mad nonsense is why there will never be true racial equality. Black is a word like any other. They were black men, so what. I don't know who exactly people think they are helping when they make assumptions that anyone who mentions colour is a racist. I remember my mother visiting us in London in the 90's. We took her to Oxford street and she loved it. She commented that she had never seen so many black people, now as soon as she made that innocent observation she immediately apologised, as if she had made a racist remark. We had 1 black person in our town and a few Chilean families so of course it was a culture shock.

Jumping on people looking for racism where there is none leads to resentment and fuels the rise in extremist groups, you just have to look to the UK for evidence of that. If somebody calls a white person an asshole thats fine, if they call a black person an asshole they're labeled a racist. What really hacked me off was when they called back at 8.15 last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

if you go to cock fights ..yes cocks get very angry

So why mention his skin colour? It really is racist to believe that a black man going door-to-door peddling fantastical nonsense is any different than a white man doing likewise.

Personally I would shoo the black Christians and the white priests with equal vigour.

I'm not saying your a bad person, just a product of your environment. If we confront our racism then it is easier to address it.

As I said earlier, they were black, it was the skin colour, if they'd been white or female, I would've described them as white and female. I really don't get the assumption that by saying they're black it makes me a racist. People who make those assumptions need to grow the hell up and think about whether or not they are closet racists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Haven't had any to the door in years, thank god. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

nummnutts wrote: »

You mean Zod, yes? :)

nummnutts wrote: »
    We seem to get them on a regular basis from this time on and they have always been black, not a criticism just a fact. I never open the door to people trying to sell me anything. Apart from anything else you have to be careful nowadays, there seem to be a lot of scams doing the rounds. I wish Airtricity etc would stop sending cold callers to my house. Its even worse to get a cold call from a service provider that your already with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Love opening the door to these guys..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Was the religion they were selling counterfeit?
    It's not counterfeit but defo dodgy. My uncle got it and his broke after a couple of days. And they won't offer a guarantee of any kind so he's f#cked. Also the 30% off only covers the first three months. I'd give it a miss.
    Hell gets all the interesting people anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I find it arrogant of people coming to a country, any country and trying to persuade people to join their religion.
    Somewhere in Africa someone's saying 'I wish those Irish missionaries would f#ck off home and take their crap with them' :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement