Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Door to door religion peddlers

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Just tell them "If God wanted me to sign up for your religion he'd have called around himself by now", there really is no logical discussion with these folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I miss them, haven't had one in years now, I swear I think I am blacklisted by them at this stage, I have seen them in the neighbourhood but they don't knock on my door anymore.

Used to get great sport from them, in all fairness a lot of them are nice people genuinely, I just can't help myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

As I said earlier, they were black, it was the skin colour, if they'd been white or female, I would've described them as white and female.
    I don't actually believe that, I think you would've just said 'I just had two blokes/women/people at my door trying to sell me religion', why would you insert 'white' into that phrase? White people don't comment on other people being white, unless they're making an argument based on skin colour.
    People think your post is racist because you say 'two black gentlemen' rather than just 'two guys'. It's because the colour of their skin does not relate to the rest of your story, yet you mention it. You make a distinction for no apparent reason.
    Considering your post is also a complaint makes it worse I guess. You must see that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I never open the door to people trying to sell me anything. .

How do you know if they're selling stuff before you open the door? You might well be missing out on some sublime "knock, knock" jokes carried out by the Knock Knock Africans Laugh - Then Everyone Laughs Brigade (KKAL-TELB).

Your loss and your Polish nieghbours' gain me says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I can't understand all the suggestions to be rude or sarcastic, are we so undeveloped as a society that lifting our lazy arses off the chair to open the door and say 'I'm not interested' is a call to be uncivil? All sorts of people call to the door whether they be religionists, chuggers, pyramid schemers, politicians...etc. If they try to continue the conversation after you inform them you're not interested then by all means close the door in their face. Anyone who treat them in a disrespectful, sarcastic or rude attitude is a stones throw from being a pikey.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    I can't understand all the suggestions to be rude or sarcastic, are we so undeveloped as a society that lifting our lazy arses off the chair to open the door and say 'I'm not interested' is a call to be uncivil? All sorts of people call to the door whether they be religionists, chuggers, pyramid schemers, politicians...etc. If they try to continue the conversation after you inform them you're not interested then by all means close the door in their face. Anyone who treat them in a disrespectful, sarcastic or rude attitude is a stones throw from being a pikey.

Fair point but what about TV licence men, Bailiffs, Viper debt control, milkmen and various people in wearing suits and driving Northern Irish registered cars?

Answering the door? It's just not worth it, not even for a good Knock, Knock joke.

humberklog wrote: »
    Fair point but what about TV licence men, Bailiffs, Viper debt control, milkmen and various people in wearing suits and driving Northern Irish registered cars?

Answering the door? It's just not worth it, not even for a good Knock, Knock joke.
    Well yeah I suppose you don't have to open the door but my point is if you do then there's no need to be rude.

Well yeah I suppose you don't have to open the door but my point is if you do then there's no need to be rude.

As a non-christian I can't think of anything ruder than being disturbed by christians wishing for me to join in their "celebration" of Armageddon.

I, on the other hand wouldn't be rude to The Viper debt collection even if he got the wrong address:).

Knock, Knock

Who's there?

Viper debt collection.

Viper debt collection who?

(rest of joke inaudible)

humberklog wrote: »
    As a non-christian I can't think of anything ruder than being disturbed by christians wishing for me to join in their "celebration" of Armageddon.

I, on the other hand wouldn't be rude to The Viper debt collection even if he got the wrong address:).
    Whether you disagree with what they're peddling or not is immaterial, it's not considered rude in mainstream society to knock on someone's door or ring the bell. That's why doors have knockers and bells. You're perfectly entitled to place a notice in plain view saying 'No Jehovah's Witnesses'. They've been doing it in England for years though it seems you're the type of individual who would welcome them to the door simply for the opportunity to be rude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Bit much to call the OP a racist but OP you did emphasise that they were foreign as if that added another negative dimension - and fair enough to point out they were black to illustrate the incident further, but as said, it's doubtful you'd have said they were white if they were white. People are just wondering what the point of mentioning it was.

I thought these door-to-door religious folks tended to be spreading the evangelical Christian word btw, rather than the catholic one. I'd just politely say "I'm not interested, thanks" and gently close the door.

Whether you disagree with what they're peddling or not is immaterial, it's not considered rude in mainstream society to knock on someone's door or ring the bell. That's why doors have knockers and bells. You're perfectly entitled to place a notice in plain view saying 'No Jehovah's Witnesses'. They've been doing it in England for years though it seems you're the type of individual who would welcome them to the door simply for the opportunity to be rude.

Another fair point. I'm out of practice as I live in an apartment in a ghost estate and haven't come across them in a long time, but when I did I was polite.

So long now without a tap on the bell that I'd consider it rude now. If they can't be bothered following me...I don't want to be discovered randomly:pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I've just had 2 black gentlemen at my door trying to sell me religion. Now I've got nothing against religion although I'm not religious. But it bugs me that I have foreigners of any race, colour or creed calling to my home trying to save me or whatever it is they want. I didn't answer the door but I could hear them at the next door neighbours. Ireland exported Christianity, I really don't think we need it sold back to us.
    When I said arrogance I meant that I think it is arrogant of people to go to a country and try to persuade others in that country that their own religious beliefs are wrong. Its an opinion of people going door to door with religion not a blanket criticism of foreigners in Ireland.
    As you mentioned in your first post, the Irish missionaries have done it for centuries, from Columbanus right down to Sr. Mary of the Sacred Heart in Africa even now.

What goes around comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Johro wrote: »
    I don't actually believe that, I think you would've just said 'I just had two blokes/women/people at my door trying to sell me religion', why would you insert 'white' into that phrase? White people don't comment on other people being white, unless they're making an argument based on skin colour.
    People think your post is racist because you say 'two black gentlemen' rather than just 'two guys'. It's because the colour of their skin does not relate to the rest of your story, yet you mention it. You make a distinction for no apparent reason.
    Considering your post is also a complaint makes it worse I guess. You must see that.

what he said. there is no way you always state the colour of a person when telling a story, unless of course they are anything other than white.

For example, You wouldn't ask 'Has the white postman been yet?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread didn't go at all as planned, eh kitten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

biko wrote: »
    This thread didn't go at all as planned, eh kitten?

Nope, it didn't. You have to love these people, fighting racism where none exists. God love the self righteous, nobody else does. I'm always supicious of that kind, smacks a bit of closet racism to me.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tell ye what, we'll just stop here.
    Tbh, you haven't been very nice either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement