Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant move out - doesn't tell Landlord

Options
  • 08-03-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

My dad has a rental property about an hour and half drive away from his homeplace.
    He found out last week from a friend who also has a rental property in the same location that his own property looks vacant and the tenant seems to have left!
    My dad check his bank account - no rent paid in since start of this year.
    Himself & my mum went to the property over the weekend and had to scrub from top to bottom, mould & dirt etc.
    I'm just wonder where does my Dad stand on this matter? The property was left unoccupied for at least two months without his knowledge.
    I don't know if he is registered with the PRTB, or if the tenant paid a deposit. As far as I know he was letting it himself, not through a letting agency. I would imagine the tenant is now long gone and uncontactable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He could chase up the rent, but it may not be worth the time and effort. Did he take any photos of what the place looked like before he cleaned it? Otherwise the tenant could say that it was fine when they left it...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I could ask what kind of lease the tenant had etc but onsidering the costs involved and the potential return its probably not worth his while persuing the tenant tbh. If the tenant bailed on a fixed term lease then technically he can persue the tenant for the amount due on the remainder of the lease. Finding and then persuing the tenant could prove time consuming and expensive though.

Also, if he is not registered with the PRTB then he would do well to say nothing and as it is a legal requirement to register your property with the PRTB and he could face a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I'd say he's most likely registered with the PRTB - he wouldn't be able to claim his loan interest as an expense against rental income otherwise.

I doubt he took any photos, I'm afraid he wouldn't think of that to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Although the tenant "appears" to have vacated the property, be very careful.

You father is probably in breach of the tenants rights by entering and cleaning the property. If he changes the locks (because the tenant still has keys) he could be liable illegal eviction - this could cost him up to 20,000 euros.

Although the tenancy may appear to be terminated (i.e. vacated and without a written Notice of Termination) the Landlord must follow the law regarding gaining possession - i.e. issue a valid Notice to Terminate. In this case, it can be done via a notice of arrears of rent followed swiftly by a NoT. Only then is your father legally entitled to enter the property.

It was your father's responsibility to watch that the rent was paid on time. If he had, he would probably have gained legal entry by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

since he was not paid since start of year, and the tenant is at the moment untraceable, his house falling into ruin, i think i would come down on the side of landlord, and as for getting backpayment, did he write a letter for this person, when if they applied for rent allowance, if so, he can get on to socail welfare and inform them of this, as it would be his money they would be spending

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Tell him for a fee you'll manage the place since hes obviously not doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

just to point out most tenants dont just up and leave for no reason

most of the time its due to a landlord who doesnt take responsibility for mending things in a timely manner, or renting out such shoddy properties and expecting unreasonable rents and tenants only truly find out how crap a property is by living there sometimes its very hard to judge by a viewing

im not saying you father is one of the cowboys but I know I have rented for 12years now and some of the standards are just laughable and I doubt a Landlord would actual ever live in some of the shambles I have had rented to me

thankfully I am living in a decent house now however my Landlady is very slow to do anything and is extremely forgetful which is now starting to grate on me but hey nothing is perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If there dampness in the walls of the flat?

Why was there mould?

Is there a serious problem here that goes beyond cleaning?

Just something to think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    had to scrub from top to bottom, mould & dirt etc.
    I agree with mikemac1: how long was said mould there before the tenant moved out, and how bad was it during the winter? Ask you dad to see if the tenant contacted him at all, and what was his response: what he doesn't say may explain alot.

Mould can often be a ventilation issue rather than damp. As such Mould tends to come and go with tenants in my experience. Some have no problems with it, some have endless problems with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Obviously its the landlords fault the tenant left him high and dry and ripped him off for a couple of months rent. Sure isn't it his greedy type that ruined the country?
    Welcome to Accommodation & Property :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

I`d say what they probably did was used the deposit as the last months rent and left then. Maybe they had some concern that they would have problems getting the deposit back.

theg81der wrote: »
    I`d say what they probably did was used the deposit as the last two months rent and didn't want to clean the place....

Corrected that for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

No disrespect to your old lad but he wasn't on the ball and will have to chalk this one down to experience.
    Checking rental income is probably, if not, the most basic exercise in being a landlord.

And that about sums it up. A cheap lesson to run it like a business not a hobby.

You're lucky they didn't destroy the house or put some criminal squatting in it. Which could cost you tens of thousands.

Sure report them, but my experience you'll get no where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

BostonB wrote: »
    Corrected that for you ;)

Em...no because Op said they moved out a good while, they couldn`t have known landlord wouldn`t have realise for that long and mould and stuff would not indicate that it was lack of cleandliness rather poor housing conditions. Not judging either way just setting you straight on what I would think happened. None of us really know so its all speculation!

I was pointing out the humour in that despite all the facts being against the tenant, all the speculation is against the Landlord despite the LL being the one owed money.

The OP mentioned dirt. Hence I say they didn't clean it. I wasn't referring to the mould. Incidentally mould isn't do do with cleanliness. its either a damp problem, but more usually ventilation. However the OP mentioned nothing about the standard of the property so "poor housing conditions" is pure negative speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭JMJR

Presumably there was no evidence of any of the tenants personal belongings being there, else the tenant could for instance be ill elsewhere or in hospital even.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    My dad has a rental property about an hour and half drive away from his homeplace.
    He found out last week from a friend who also has a rental property in the same location that his own property looks vacant and the tenant seems to have left!
    My dad check his bank account - no rent paid in since start of this year.
    Himself & my mum went to the property over the weekend and had to scrub from top to bottom, mould & dirt etc.
    I'm just wonder where does my Dad stand on this matter? The property was left unoccupied for at least two months without his knowledge.
    I don't know if he is registered with the PRTB, or if the tenant paid a deposit. As far as I know he was letting it himself, not through a letting agency. I would imagine the tenant is now long gone and uncontactable.

JMJR wrote: »
    Presumably there was no evidence of any of the tenants personal belongings being there, else the tenant could for instance be ill elsewhere or in hospital even.

Its a good point. The LL should send all the letters to give proper notice regardless. I also would not throw anything out if anything is found. I read a case before on the PRTB where a LL cleaned out an apartment that seemed abandoned for a lengthy period of time. The tenant game back claiming for a bunch of stuff that had been removed. Despite having no records or receipts of the stuff claimed for, the LL had to pay the tenant something for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement