Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a Server for CSS, Minecraft & General Hoome Use

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

What about this PSU?
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41092

An alternative is the celeron G530 dual core is a bit cheaper. It would probably be more efficient. The athlon is clocked @ 3.1 while the G530 is 2.4 so there mightn't be much difference but Intel would be better value when you factor in the heatsink.

Is 16GB really necessary? CS and minecraft as well as general use is unlikely to come near that kind of RAM... although I suppose if you are building the Starship Enterprise, it would gobble up all of your RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

going to be having a big open building comunity with a few mods on minecraft so i'm going to be allocating alot of ram to it also i like the look of that psu but i'm pretty sure the fan on it is led, would it be easy enough to disconnet the leds in a psu fan since it's built in? cause i wouldn't want to void the warrenty, also i see your point about the celeron instead of the athlon so i might go with that instead but i still be using a after market heatsink cause i find the stock coolers to be a tad bit to loud for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

My server - which I'll be building as soon as someone takes my U2410 - is probably going to be:

G530, 8GB RAM, ASRock H61 board, CX430 PSU, NZXT 210 Source case, and my old 32GB SSD as a boot drive. The i3 2100 only pulls about 20-25W idling, and that's full system load from the wall, so odds are the G530 is about 15-20W. That'll go up when you add hard drives, etc. but it's a good baseline to work from. The above spec can be built (excluding the SSD) for just over €200 from either Dabs or HWVS. (Though Dabs doesn't stock the Source 210)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I don't think it's an LED fan.

If you want to be sure, you could ask Pangea who bought one a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

really dont know what your budget is, but if you can stretch, Ive a pentium G630 based server and its the first pentium ive ever found to be fantastic. it beats the athlon x4's in most things and runs @ 16W

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

going to be having a big open building comunity with a few mods on minecraft so i'm going to be allocating alot of ram to it also i like the look of that psu but i'm pretty sure the fan on it is led, would it be easy enough to disconnet the leds in a psu fan since it's built in? cause i wouldn't want to void the warrenty, also i see your point about the celeron instead of the athlon so i might go with that instead but i still be using a after market heatsink cause i find the stock coolers to be a tad bit to loud for my liking.

FYI the boards minecraft server is a 40 person, and runs fine on 2GB of RAM.

Advertisement