Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many games?

Options
  • 08-03-2012 6:25pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else have too many games?
    Some will say you can never have too many but at times it gets overwhelming.
    The last year or so ive rarely got to see end game credits.
    Typical scenario for me :
    Im playing the flavour of the month then something new and shiney comes along seems to get in the way.
    To make things worse every so often the likes of steam,GOG,Gamersgate have sales too good to resist.
    Only last week i picked up Dungeons and Dragons Anthology the master collection for €7
    Baldurs gate 1 and 2 plus expansions
    Icewind Dale 1 and 2
    Planescape Torment
    The Temple of Elememtal Evil

Off the top of my head and not even mentioning the countless mods i could sink my teeth into the following are either far from finished or untouched in my collection.

Single player

Anno 2070
    Alice the madness returns
    Aliens V Predator
    Assassins Creed Brotherhood and Revelations
    Bioshock 2
    Bastion
    Batman Arkham City
    Crysis 2
    Skyrim
    Fallout3
    Deus Ex HR
    Hard Reset
    Dirt3
    Lara Croft guardian of light
    Kingdoms of Amalur
    Mass Effect 2 [ how the hell am i going to get to play MA3?]
    Portal 2
    Trine 2
    Saints Row the third
    Rage
    Warhammer Space Marine
    World In Conflict
    Quite a few of the Total War series unfinished

Then theres the multiplayer,MMO and sandbox games i enjoy on and off, quite a few of the above single player games would also fall into this category.

WOW
    Rift
    swtor
    Civ 5
    BF3
    Starcraft 2
    Company of Heroes
    Red orchestra 2
    iracing
    rFactor [mods]
    PES2012
    DODS
    LOL
    Minecraft
    Terraria

Time for self discipline me thinks, then again im saying that for over a decade now :P

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah and the worse thing is I wanna replay some older ones. The stalker and mass effects are on the list and I just installed final fantasy 7 and 8 on my laptop so I'm going to replay them first. I don't think I'll ever have time for any new games ever. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

tell me about it

im at the stage where i have to store review copies of games in those cd wallets, and chuck the boxes into a cardboard box which is put away so i've got room for everything

think ive got about 350 xbox 360 games, give or take, and approximately 200 ps3 games. on top of that ive got everything on the vita bar 2 or 3 titles that never arrived

steam isn't so bad, i think ive only about 120 on there

on paper it all sounds great, but you never get to put in serious non-work time with more than a handful of games a year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well i dont plan on dying any time soon so plenty of time to play the backlog eventually :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Yep I'm the same,I'd be playing a game and something new and shiny comes along and that gets my attention and the other game is forgotton,I'm being good and not getting me3 tomorrow :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

god i still have to finish:
    kotor
    psychonauts
    bioshock
    baldur's gate 2
    neverwinter nights 2

I have games that i am working through then i try something out and get really sucked in and concentrate all my time on it till i finish it. The last game that was like that was arkham city.

It just means that all you have to do is concentrate on the really good games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I probably have about 1000 games and over 50 consoles... And you know what? Its still not enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Damn double post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

No, I've 3 games for my PS3 :lol:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Sounds like some self-discipline is in order. Personally I'll only permit myself 3 campaigns on the go, or in possession-of rather! 2 is not enough and 4 is too much. Had a backlog one time; pointless when I eventually dealt with the clutter I ended up enjoying none in particular instead of focusing enjoyment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I never bother buying a game until I've finished whatever I'm playing, don't get the obsession with having to buy a game on release day if you've already got a backlog

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Try sticking with just the one game at a time, you'll beat more games if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'm not even gonna start listing all of minemine...I'm honestly patethic for buying and not playing games.
    A lot of the time I go on the feedback I read on this forum,
    I own the likes of
    Witcher, Dragon Age 1/2 , Metro 2033, Stalker, Far Cry2, Crysis 1/2, Starcraft2, Saints Row 3 ...and from the above I've probably put in a combined total of 2 hours.

That's not counting about the 2-300 others games I have.

I seem to find something I like and stick with it...I.e Battlefield 3.
    In my head I feel like if I don't make the most of the BF3 time now, with everyone playing it and it being great...that in a year or two, it won't be as fun to play..everyone will have moved on...so I'm milking it.
    All the single player games will be there forever and their experience won't lessen.

But I did replay Mass Effect 1 last week, and am halfway through ME2 again in preperation for ME3.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

the only games i buy now - PS vita.

i got 300eu to blow on upgrades for pc i dont need too :D

still need to finish like hundred games, but i got stuck with games that have no endings... monster hunter, bf3, tribes 2 etc. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Same, and for me, its more a case of "if I don't buy it now, will I be able to get it later??" I had a scare with Xenoblade Chronicles when it came out, couldn't find it anywhere so as soon as it came in stock somewhere, I bought it.

I checked it out and I reckon i'd either need my gf to leave (with the kids of course) and about 2 years of peace to get through everything I haven't beaten yet (assuming an 8 hour work day is no included)

That or break my legs or similar and get 6 months solid action

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Do I own too many games? Don't be silly, you can never have enough games.

Do I have too many games yet to be played? Most definitely, my backlog is quite frightening. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Trying to get through FFT:WOTL (deep into chapter 3).

Its bogging me down a little.

When its done I have:

Skyrim in its plastic
    Arkham City in its plastic
    PES 2012 which I haven't played enough
    Uncharted 3 Multiplayer (Haven't even used the code yet)
    Dead Space 2 in its Plastic
    Tactics Ogre in its plastic.

And its taking serious willpower not to go and get ME3 tomorrow and I still need BF3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Why buy them then if you're not even going to take them out of the plastic :confused:

The obvious reason being cost, you'd probably save hundreds if you just picked up a game 6 months later when you've finished whatever you're playing at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

My current list:

Arkham City
    Skyrim
    Resident Evil 5
    Borderlands
    Dawn of War II
    Portal 2
    Shogun 2
    Ico/Shadow of Collossus
    Dark Souls
    Baldur's Gate 2
    Football Manager 2012
    Deus Ex: HR
    The Witcher 2 (waiting for Enhanced edition)

And I've just gone and bough Mass Effect 3.

Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I have to many too name, I feel like I am becoming more a collecter and less a gamer these day:( BUT I Will make time for Mass Efect 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Currently I've got a number of games I've been meaning to get back to.

Skyrim - about an hour played
    Deus Ex HR - 10 hours played
    Rage - 4 Hours played
    Assassins Creed 2 - About 30 mins played
    Assassins Creed Brotherhood - Haven't Started
    Fallout 3 - This has been sitting on my shelf since it was released
    The Witcher 2 - Played about 4 hours

Don't know why I stopped playing some of them. I was really enjoying Deus Ex when I got distracted by BF3 and I haven't picked it back up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dammit came here to find a solution only to find many more like me :(

I blame the PC and its ability to entertain me for my lack of completion of games. I actually go on the PC to read about games that i will buy and never finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I still haven't finished Skyrim even though I've been playing it off and on since release. Just got into Spacechem which is seriously awesome while simultaneously being seriously addictive (damn thing should have drug warnings).

After Skyrim I then have Arkham City, Dead Space 2, Deus Ex, Trine 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat and google knows how many others.

I even accidentally bought the Serious Sam pack that was on offer a couple of weeks ago simply because it looked like lots of fun. I'm going to have to ban Steam purchases on my card. Oh and gog.com which is just a level below the evilness of Steam, Planescape: Torment and The Temple of Elemental Evil are both on that account waiting for me to play through, I just know they're going to eat up more time.

On the plus side, it gave me the motivation to boycott Mass Effect 2.95

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Have to play and finish

Skyrim
    Borderlands
    Mass Effect 2
    Deus Ex HR
    TW Shogun 2
    Crusader Kings II
    Sword of the Stars II
    Shank
    Bastion
    The Witcher
    The Witcher 2
    Renegade Ops
    Psychonauts
    GTA: Episodes from Liberty City
    Stalker SOC
    Metro 2033
    FF XIII
    Uncharted 3
    D&D Master Collection
    ... loads of indie games

Overwhelming

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

Ah sure, if you have too many charity starts with me! ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've got the below games lined up for the next two weeks.

Mass Effect 3
    Arkham City
    Alan Wake
    Uncharted 3
    Assassins Creed Revelations
    Shadow of the Colossus / Ico

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you must be doing coke if you plan to power through all them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's in that order, so i'd say i'll get through the top 3 or 4 anyway. I'm off all next week, and couch bound, so plenty of time to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Playing BF3 atm, must finish Duke, Super Meat Boy, and about 3 others that I think. There are a few games that I have, but don't have the space to install them... or that's my excuse anyhoo's :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

noodler wrote: »
    Trying to get through FFT:WOTL (deep into chapter 3).

Its bogging me down a little.

When its done I have:

Skyrim in its plastic
    Arkham City in its plastic
    PES 2012 which I haven't played enough
    Uncharted 3 Multiplayer (Haven't even used the code yet)
    Dead Space 2 in its Plastic
    Tactics Ogre in its plastic.

And its taking serious willpower not to go and get ME3 tomorrow and I still need BF3.
    Harps wrote: »
    Why buy them then if you're not even going to take them out of the plastic :confused:

The obvious reason being cost, you'd probably save hundreds if you just picked up a game 6 months later when you've finished whatever you're playing at the moment!

What a strange question!

Why would I remove a game from its plastic if I am not ready to play it yet? To read the manual? Smell the inside of the box?

I can assure you that not one of those games did I pay full price for.

Also:
    Arkham City: 25e
    Skyrim: 25e
    Tactics Ogre: 8e
    Dead Space 2: 21e

Advertisement