Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

It's been getting worse and worse lately. My daughter was born 6 weeks ago and that has obviously put a hold on most of my gaming time however it hasn't put a hold on me buying everything i'm interested in playing. :o

If it keeps going like this by the time she's old enough for me to get some decent gaming in it's going to be very very messy!!!

Waiting to be played or finished:

PS3:

Amalur: Reckoning
    Fifa12
    Arkham City
    Mass Effect 2
    Mass Effect 3 (Present from a friend in Bioware)
    Dark Souls (Finished multiple playthroughs but want to get back for more)
    MW3 (campaign)
    BO (campaign)
    Ico + Shadow of the Colossus
    Bayonetta
    Trine 2
    Strangers Wrath HD
    Wizardry Labyrinth of lost souls
    Journey
    Resident Evil 1,2,3
    Final Fantasy 7

Vita:

Uncharted (almost finished)
    Wipeout 2048
    Rayman Origins
    Motorstorm RC
    Stardust Delta
    Monster Hunter Unite
    GTA Chinatown Wars

PC:

Skyrim
    Fallout3
    Fallout NV
    BF3
    Amnesia
    The Witcher 2
    Bioshock 2
    Deus Ex Human Revolution
    Dragon Age 2
    Crysis 2
    Bastion
    The entire ID Bundle (Everygame from the original Doom up to Rage)
    + Every singe indie bundle ever released :p

That's what I can think of right now, there's definitely more that i've forgotten about or given up on at this stage. Realistically i'm not even going to get through 20% of them but I live in hope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you just had a baby and you go out and buy a Vita a few weeks later!?
    Wow! how can you even think about gaming when you have a baby to deal with and you must have a forgiving wife/partner
    I would have thought it would be doing all feedings and nappy changes and trying to find out what all the baby stuff does

Skerries wrote: »
    Wow! how can you even think about gaming when you have a baby to deal with and you must have a forgiving wife/partner
    I would have thought it would be doing all feedings and nappy changes and trying to find out what all the baby stuff does

Actually she bought it for me as a present for Valentines day. And please spare me the condescending bull****. I just stated I haven't had any time to game since she was born. The vita is the only thing I can play in bed while she is asleep beside me in her moses basket and that's even very limited time. Actually why am I even explaining myself to you... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

why having a baby is a sentence of death? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

why having a baby is a sentence of death? :confused:

Exactly, can a man/woman not have an hour a day for themselves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Here's how I've been managing my backlog for the last couple of years to make sure I get around to them all:

1) To start, I sorted the games in my backlog into groups based on when I got them (July - Dec 2011, Xmas 2011, Jan - Mar 2012 etc.)
    2) Starting with the oldest group, I play a maximum of 2 games from that group at a time until I finish them both, no extra and no interruptions.
    3) I only move onto the next oldest group once I've finished all games from the previous one.
    4) I try to limit the number of "must-have" games that get to skip the queue, but if I know one's coming up, I'll plan for it. I focus on shorter, lighter games in the weeks beforehand, or play games that'll be easy to jump back into if I take a long break.
    5) I make sure to always take my time and enjoy each game fully, rather than rushing through them to mark them off the list. The last thing I'd want is for my backlog to become a chore!

I mainly only buy games in bulk orders twice a year, and I'm being a bit more selective about what I buy these days. By doing it this way I've managed to half the size of my backlog since 2009 and I've had the longest standing game in it for 4 months rather than 3 years. The whole thing was my brothers idea - when his backlog got out of hand a few years ago he put all his newest games in a box and locked them in a cupboard until he finished the older ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

ive far too many to list, i buy em to play but then another one comes along so i forget that one or-else i see a bargain and get it. Started to see sense now though , ive held off buying ff13-2 and see how cheap it gotten now. Got no time to play at the moment , that where the vita's handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I've about 25 PS2 games, about 18 I really want to play, but don't and never have had a PS2 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Trying to platinum Arkham city with only a few campaign challenges left, excluding the robin , nightwing, and catwoman stuff that i should not have bought. Bought day 1

Stopped playing Skyrim after the Dragons started to fly backwards, so i'll go back to that at some point. Bought day 1

Have to start Uncharted 3 (got it cheap a while after release as i was busy) and get past chapter 2 on Golden abyss (Bought day 1).

Have to open Dead space which i got at Christmas and have not played yet or opened, also enslaved.

May resub to Old republic at some point, bought the Friday i got off from work at Christmas and played non-stop for 2 weeks ( till i had to go back).

Got all the Final fantasy games on sale off PSN and have gotten to golden saucer in 7 and to the first save point in 10, also just managed to finishes first fight in war of the lions.

Got Unit 13 today after a good trade in deal so did not cost much.

Regret getting Deugon hunter on Vita, will still probably go back ( got it for £15 off Amazon but would rather have had rayman in hindsight) .

Play more Motorstorm RC

Finish Mass effect 1 game that i got 10 hours into, start 2 with Dlc that i did not have the when i played that first and at some point play 3 that will show up next week ( may just use older save game instead of a new one or find one online). Didn't have shadow broker or arrival then.

More Battlefield 3 on PS3 and PC.

Start Crysis 2 that i got cheap for PC.

And play some of the hundreds of games PlayStation plus has given out that i never really put much time into, including Trine 2 which so far is good.

Finish Prince of persia 2 & 3 from the HD collection.

Put some time into the result of the last steam sale as well.

Probably better if i don't start playing an MMO.

Want to buy Deus Ex Human Revolution but will wait as it's like i have nothing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I thought my list wasa bad until I saw some others!

PS3 (currently broken)
    Burnout Paradise
    Deus Ex HR
    NIER

Xbox 360 (just bought a pile of cheap stuff)
    HALO Reach (currently playing)
    Lost Odyssey
    Gears of War
    Left for dead 2
    Crackdown
    Metro 2033

Wii
    NoMore Heroes
    Sakura Wars
    Metroid Other M
    Xenoblade Chronicles (currently playing)

DS
    Devil Survivor 2
    Radiant Historia (currently playing)

PSP (recently got a present of a pile of strategy games:D)
    Jeanne D'Arc
    Valkyria Chronicles 2
    Metal Gear Acid 1+2
    Tactics Ogre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

There are so many great games that I haven't picked up yet, I know that if I did, they'd sit there gathering dust. As it is I've a small number of games that I haven't gotten around to playing yet. These are as a result of fantastic online offers. I'm working on the finishing a game off before I pick up anything else approach.

I'm trying to finish Skyrim before I install Deus Ex HR and will then see about trying out a couple of the others on my machine. Then I'll allow myself to pick up ME3 at a knock down price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Been a ridiculous amount of awesome games being released these days alrite.. i've missed so many in the last 7 or 8 months.. hopefully i'll get some time to play them during the summer !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I usually don't buy a game unless I have nothing else to play, or I've been waiting for that game in particular, so they don't really build up on my in this way. I honestyly don't reckon I could afford to have too many games sitting there waiting to be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm currently on Skyrim and Ghost Trick (DS) but still have Gears, Uncharted and Mass Effect next on the list. I won't buy 'em until I'm actually free to play 'em! Judging by the length of skyrim it could be a while. Works out great for me as I generally only buy games when they're about €30

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Big Knox wrote: »
    Actually she bought it for me as a present for Valentines day. And please spare me the condescending bull****. I just stated I haven't had any time to game since she was born. The vita is the only thing I can play in bed while she is asleep beside me in her moses basket and that's even very limited time. Actually why am I even explaining myself to you... :rolleyes:

I just reread my post and realised I came across like a bit of of a dick which was not my intention
    My thought was not that you are neglecting your child but that I was surprised that you had the time to actually get any gaming done
    apologies if I caused offense

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'm currently on Skyrim and Ghost Trick (DS) but still have Gears, Uncharted and Mass Effect next on the list. I won't buy 'em until I'm actually free to play 'em! Judging by the length of skyrim it could be a while. Works out great for me as I generally only buy games when they're about €30

thats what i do now too. i just dont buy games anymore. just get something that i was really really looking forward and then just keep the rest untouched so i can get some bargains later on!

thats what i do now too. i just dont buy games anymore. just get something that i was really really looking forward and then just keep the rest untouched so i can get some bargains later on!
    Pretty much sums up my approach to game buying. A few years ago I was gettign release day games and then left with unopened games a few months later that were by then going for much cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

noodler wrote: »
    What a strange question!

Why would I remove a game from its plastic if I am not ready to play it yet? To read the manual? Smell the inside of the box?

I can assure you that not one of those games did I pay full price for.

Also:
    Arkham City: 25e
    Skyrim: 25e
    Tactics Ogre: 8e
    Dead Space 2: 21e

My point was why bother buying them in the first place if you're not ready to play them? Fair enough if you didn't pay full price, it just seems stupid to buy a game only to cast it aside for a few months by which time you could pick it up for half the price

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I got Steam less than 6 months ago.

I have 80+ games on it now and no idea about when i'll be able to play them. I blame those bloody sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I got Steam less than 6 months ago.

I have 80+ games on it now and no idea about when i'll be able to play them. I blame those bloody sales.

Yeah, Steam is just a load of impulse buys.
    You logon to play your 1 game and you see...Wow...Deus Ex 75% off ?...how can I not buy that . (even though you have no intention of playing it in the near future)

The same thing happens every single week :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

i dont have too many games on my backlog. Went through a lot of them the summer after I graduated college and was only working part time. Then I got a full time job thats quite intense just after christmas, and havent played games really at all since then.

Although, I did buy Mass Effect 3 there on friday and have been playing the crap out of it all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

quite a few in my xbox backlog. Few impulse buys but largely games at good prices that I looked up but just dont have the time right now with all the studying and tiredness

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Harps wrote: »
    My point was why bother buying them in the first place if you're not ready to play them? Fair enough if you didn't pay full price, it just seems stupid to buy a game only to cast it aside for a few months by which time you could pick it up for half the price

One thing I have noticed quite clearly over the last 4 years of this gen is that there is floor on game prices.

The 17/18 pounds sterling mark on Zavvi seems to be it in most cases for popular PS3/360 games.

Unless you really want to wait until the next round of consoles are announced.

I just reread my post and realised I came across like a bit of of a dick which was not my intention
    My thought was not that you are neglecting your child but that I was surprised that you had the time to actually get any gaming done
    apologies if I caused offense

No harm done. I can be a little defensive when it comes to her too!! ;)

Hopefully as she gets older and into a solid sleeping routine I can get back gaming a bit in the nights and start finishing some of the ridiculous backlog!! Although at that stage Diablo3, Max Payne, Gravity Rush, etc. will be out and it will have gotten bigger!! :pac:

I think going from years of constant competitive gaming to casual gaming due to time restraints has left a sort of hole that never gets filled. It's weird, even though now I do really enjoy playing single player games I always feel like I need more and I think it's down to the void left from playing tfc, cs and hon competitively over the years which has led me to buy games I dont even have the time to play!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I added unit 13 to my never ending list today >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Unemployment was a good way fro me to get rid of my backlog. I had no money to buy any games and for a 3 months had way too much time so I used to play games in between interview hunting.

The only games left are FO:NV and Bioshock on the PS3 and 4 or 5 DS games. I have several other games that I haven't finished, but realistically they are in my pile of shame that I will never finish.

I am really getting there now. Working through my backlog little by little, but even if I won't buy any games it will still take years and years to finish it.

I even made a small folder on my desktop where I put notes: game finished and date when it was finished. When you add a new note you can see howard games you finished amd how big gaps are between them!!!

I really blame multiplayer games for this! I have clocked in 100h++ on bf3 and around 20h on mw3 and I started tribes now too... Then you got LoL etc...

A big back log fault are mmorpgs too, I quoted them for good and I can see that I have way more time and fun playing games. With mmorpg, you just log in and newer go out...

Just finished stalker call of Pripyat with misery mod. What a great game once again! So now I am back in to dead space 2 to finish my dead space cycle! :)

I just hope I won't set steam to download civ4... Or I will put away all games for good few weeks again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I'm starting to measure games on how much I enjoyed them, Skyrim I've raked up 162 hrs on it and still not finished, if I never finish it at least I got great enjoyment out of it.
    Obviously there are some games you want to finish for the continuation of the story like Mass Effect series

• Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I own an Xbox 360. I'm just after finishing pretty much all the worthwhile stuff in Skyrim. I've returned to Dark Souls cos I have no intention of letting that game beat me.

After that I have Kingdoms of Amalur, Two Worlds 2 and LOTR:The War in the North to get through. That's not to mention Darksiders, Hunted:The Demon's Forge, Conan, Fable 3 and Nier, all of the aforementioned five which I haven't even started yet. There's just not enough hours in my life for them all at the moment, and I still have Witcher 2 to look forward to in April:eek:

Almost forgot to mention Dragon Quest:Journey of the Cursed King and both Kingdom Hearts games on the PS2 to try and get through. It's gonna take years.

• Advertisement

I own an Xbox 360. I'm just after finishing pretty much all the worthwhile stuff in Skyrim. I've returned to Dark Souls cos I have no intention of letting that game beat me.

After that I have Kingdoms of Amalur, Two Worlds 2 and LOTR:The War in the North to get through. That's not to mention Darksiders, Hunted:The Demon's Forge, Conan, Fable 3 and Nier, all of the aforementioned five which I haven't even started yet. There's just not enough hours in my life for them all at the moment, and I still have Witcher 2 to look forward to in April:eek:

Almost forgot to mention Dragon Quest:Journey of the Cursed King and both Kingdom Hearts games on the PS2 to try and get through. It's gonna take years.
    Maybe a bit of quality control might help you thin out your playlist? Some of the aforementioned games aren't the best tbh. After playing the likes of Dark Souls and Skyrim the next 3 similar games on your list will surely be a disappointment no?

Advertisement