Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New iPad is not 4G, who are Apple fooling?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    AFAIK the US has LTE on Verizon Att and now sprint. Originally sprint had Wimax. Technically LTE isn't 4th generation but it's the closest. In America and, now the UK LTE is branded 4G as no other option exists. Now Ireland doesn't have LTE, do we even have HSPA+? I thought it was OK to call LTE 4G but not OK to call HSPA 4G as Att tried once

Yeah, we have HSPA+
    Vodafone (on a premium product) support up to 42mbit/s but you seriously pay for it.

O2, Meteor and 3 Ireland all have HSPA+ too but I think only Vodafone's offering DC-HSPA+ (dual channel)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Solair wrote: »
    Yeah, we have HSPA+
    Vodafone (on a premium product) support up to 42mbit/s but you seriously pay for it![/QUOTE
    Yeah, we have HSPA+
    Vodafone (on a premium product) support up to 42mbit/s but you seriously pay for it!

Ugh. What happened to automatically getting the best of their abilities :rollseyes: I love Vodafone but they're too expensive. I have no quarell with meteor but while everyone else is starting to get LTE around the world we don't even have H+

• Registered Users Posts: 24 chapterthree

I understand that there is no 4G networks available in Ireland as yet but at the time of purchase i made sure to ask the salesman at PC World if the iPad would be able to connect to the 4G network when it becomes available and he said most definitely. Also I have kept my receipt which clearly states that 4G in the item description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I understand that there is no 4G networks available in Ireland as yet but at the time of purchase i made sure to ask the salesman at PC World if the iPad would be able to connect to the 4G network when it becomes available and he said most definitely. Also I have kept my receipt which clearly states that 4G in the item description.

Did you return the iPad? If not I doubt you have a hope in hell of doing so now. There is no 4G network in Ireland so who says what 4G means. 4th generation perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

guil wrote: »
    Did you return the iPad? If not I doubt you have a hope in hell of doing so now. There is no 4G network in Ireland so who says what 4G means. 4th generation perhaps.

As guil said, '4G' is currently in that weird technological black hole where the marketing people and the techies haven't met up to say 'This is exactly what 4G is' It has entirely different meanings based on who you talk to and what side of the Atlantic your on. Not to mention a fantastic medley of incompatible frequencies.

Frankly if you don't understand what 4G is, you shouldn't be buying a product that says 4G on it. Basic consumerism dictates you should understand fully what you are buying (Irregardless of what a sales man tells you, because they just want a sale and probably don't know what it means either)

• Advertisement

Yeah, we have HSPA+
    Vodafone (on a premium product) support up to 42mbit/s but you seriously pay for it![/QUOTE

Ugh. What happened to automatically getting the best of their abilities :rollseyes: I love Vodafone but they're too expensive. I have no quarell with meteor but while everyone else is starting to get LTE around the world we don't even have H+

Yeah they do.
    Meteor most definitely support HSPA across most of the country and they're to long away from LTE either.

iOS devices do not distinguish between 3G and HSPA+ on their displays. You never know which you're on. Most other devices display H+ or something similar when they're in HSPA coverage.

If you want full info about the signal you'd actually need to go into the hidden field test menus : *3001#12345#* (Call)

Yeah they do.
    Meteor most definitely support HSPA across most of the country and they're to long away from LTE either.

iOS devices do not distinguish between 3G and HSPA+ on their displays. You never know which you're on. Most other devices display H+ or something similar when they're in HSPA coverage.

If you want full info about the signal you'd actually need to go into the hidden field test menus : *3001#12345#* (Call)

It's odd on my HTC one X Inever get the h+ symbol, only H, while my friend's 8S will differentiate. But that could be an issue on my side for having an incomplete icon set. Although the fastest I've ever gotten on Meteor was 7.5 Mb/s, impressive speed but not the amazing H+ speeds you get in america..

6a00d83451c34f69e20120a5cee3c6970b-800wi
    got it, I had a more simple breakdown somewhere else but I think category 15 or 14 is H+ and category 12 is the next down while staying in HS(D)PA, UMTS is category 10. I can get category 10 or 12 where I live but not 15.

It's odd on my HTC one X Inever get the h+ symbol, only H, while my friend's 8S will differentiate. But that could be an issue on my side for having an incomplete icon set. Although the fastest I've ever gotten on Meteor was 7.5 Mb/s, impressive speed but not the amazing H+ speeds you get in america..

6a00d83451c34f69e20120a5cee3c6970b-800wi
    got it, I had a more simple breakdown somewhere else but I think category 15 or 14 is H+ and category 12 is the next down while staying in HS(D)PA, UMTS is category 10. I can get category 10 or 12 where I live but not 15.

I wonder if you use meteor's broadband APN would it be any faster?

I wonder if you use meteor's broadband APN would it be any faster?

Yeah I'm not sure, the fastest I've ever seen on meteor was HSPAP:15 but I know vodafone have category 24 or one of those as they have DC cells.. Yeah I might hunt down a mobile broadband sim and see..

Advertisement