Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Shelter With No Shelter

Options
  • 08-03-2012 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

What numpty in the Council decided to take down the old bus shelter in the bus park which could easily shelter upwards of 15-20 people and included plenty of space for wheelchairs and cut it up and use bits of it to make the useless impractical non-sheltering eyesore that has now been placed there?

The new "structure" does not offer any protection from wind and only partial protection for one or two people from rain and has already been seriously vandalised by having one of the side panels so damaged it had to be removed.

With such a busy bus park it is madness to think that some gombeen in the council who has possibly never used the bus park decided to remove a perfectly practical shelter and replace it with such an eyesore which is not practical or pleasing to the eye and shelters only a couple of people at best. there goes any hope Carlow had of winning any prizes for tidy towns.

this level of incompetence is not surprising considering the number of times the same council installed and had to remove the new second hand public toilet at the bus park! it was originally installed beautifully with landscaping, then had to be dug out and removed to make way for some roadworks or sewer works then it was replaced only to be dug up again a few months later for the installation of some overflow tank beside the burren!

How much did this nasty piece of "engineering" cost I wonder and will the council hold themselves accountable for all the money wasted on such projects when getting proper professionals in to do the job right would probably have cost a lot less?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

there is one outside the vocational school like that too.... offers no shelter. its like they started putting one up but gave up halfway thru

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

there is one outside the vocational school like that too.... offers no shelter. its like they started putting one up but gave up halfway thru
    They should have just painted up the old shelter with some nice bright colours as they had already cut some panels from it to allow the cctv see the junkies. Now they have no shelter as they cut up the old one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

have to agree with ya OP

although it was for safety reasons, they just did it terribly
    there is no real protection against rain or wind
    it leaves you out in the elements, more or less,
    you cant fit that many people in it!
    i think they should have just done up the old shelter
    like you said have bright colours painted on
    and the side panels replaced with plexy glass panels
    i have been down there at night waiting for buses by myself
    it is scary i have gotten 2 very late buses home before, later than my usual one
    and to be honest there is a lot of anti social behaviour happening there
    so i understand what the council were doing
    but at the same time they could had done a hell of a lot better doing so!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

sounds like it's the anti social behaviour that caused it

For them to give a decent shelter, they'd probably provide a great hangout for anti social behaviour.

Sounds like a case of a minority ruining an amenity for everyone else. Either the minority cop on or the law gets cracked on them would be alternatives. So, as you can't force people to cop on and getting the law to crack onto them might be more hassle than it's worth... it sounds like this is what happened.

Anyone willing to go into the council offices and ask?:)

They have replaced the side panel that was broken out of it but the perspex panels are already broken up

197076.jpg

197077.jpg

197078.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

@Carlow2011
    Please note the forum charter where we advise to attack the post rather than the poster.
    Regards
    Tommy

Carlow2011 wrote: »
    Who broke the panels?
    How would I know?

Carlow2011 wrote: »
    You seem to be an authority on everything else
    The bus shelter probably looks so bad because it was made up using bits of the old shelter but where those stainless steel barrier things behind the shelter came from or their possible use is anyone's guess! They probably cost more than the total cost of making the shelter from scrap and cementing it and all the barrier things into the ground.

If those things are for people to chain their bicycles to then I would say chain all the members of the council to them for a week or two, nobody with sense would leave anything like a bike locked up there as it will be stolen or just vandalised and the garda camera wont stop that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If those things are for people to chain their bicycles to then I would say chain all the members of the council to them for a week or two, nobody with sense would leave anything like a bike locked up there as it will be stolen or just vandalised and the garda camera wont stop that!

In fairness to the council it could have been the contracted company for the works that designed that item behind the bus shelter.

Personally I wouldn't leave a bike (if I had one) chained anywhere in town as I have seen them vandalized everywhere from fairgreen to tullow st over the years.

tommycahir wrote: »
    In fairness to the council it could have been the contracted company for the works that designed that item behind the bus shelter.

Personally I wouldn't leave a bike (if I had one) chained anywhere in town as I have seen them vandalized everywhere from fairgreen to tullow st over the years.
    The contracted company would not do anything which had not been approved and cleared by the Council and AFAIK the council did the work themselves which is probably why the bus shelter is so poorly designed with no real shelter offered and reduced seating, the original shelter had the side opened out to allow the CCTV see who was in it at night but this new shelter provides a good spot for drug deals etc to happen off camera.

• Advertisement
Advertisement