Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too big??

Options
  • 08-03-2012 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi guys..
    While i was pregnant this site was a godsend but since having my little girl last April and being back at work i seldom have the time.

My daughter was 11 months yesterday, she is 30" tall and weighs 28lbs (2 stone)
    From an early age my public health nurse has told me she is longer than average for her age and thats fine..
    I looked up a website yesterday that said the average weight and height for a 2 year old is 30" and 28.4lb.. :eek:

Surely this cant be right.. But anyway..

I am just wonderin what everybody elses children around this age weigh?

Thanx in advance :) x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Hiya i really wouldn't worry too much. My LO is 8months, she's a lot taller than average and weighs 1st 5lbs. She really doesn't look too chubby so i think all is well she's just a big baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Mom2Be

Thank you for the quick reply.
    Like your little one, she doesnt look chubby either..
    She likes her food but i have family telling me to cut her back that i will regret it if i dont.
    She drinks well over the average 20oz of formula a day, She often has that much at night alone.
    I know feedin her that much at night is wrong but she wakes for her bottle and if she doesnt get it then she screams hysterically. To the point where i often get worried..

She is just starting to walk and is already extremely active so im hoping she will eventually be too tired to wake for a bottle.. This will reduce the amount of milk at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I was watching Doctors one day (the panel of American doctors in a talk show like setting), and a girl asked them the same thing about her daughter. They're reply was that your baby's size can be above average, or below average, but once each measurement (height, length, head, weight) are in proportion with each other and along the same line then that's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Mom2Be wrote: »
    Thank you for the quick reply.
    Like your little one, she doesnt look chubby either..
    She likes her food but i have family telling me to cut her back that i will regret it if i dont.
    She drinks well over the average 20oz of formula a day, She often has that much at night alone.
    I know feedin her that much at night is wrong but she wakes for her bottle and if she doesnt get it then she screams hysterically. To the point where i often get worried..

She is just starting to walk and is already extremely active so im hoping she will eventually be too tired to wake for a bottle.. This will reduce the amount of milk at least.

I think you may need to talk to a doctor, it could be that your child is just extra hungry, but you may also be over feeding her by giving her so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

My ten month old daughter weighs 1 stone and 10 pounds. Had her at the PHN when she was eight months and she weighed 1 stone 7lb. She is quite chubby particulary her thighs and arms. The PHN weighed her, took note of her head circumference and height and marked all three on a chart. Think she was in the 75th percentile for her height, 95th for head and 98th percentile for her weight but the PHN said it was absolutely nothing to worry about and that as she was within the chart she was fine and in proportion and in any event, the more mobile they are the faster they lose any excess weight.

My other daughter is almost ten now and she sounds exactly like your daughter, especially at night when she would drink loads as well as eating plenty throughout the day. She weighed just under two stone and at 9 months she started walking out of the blue. Within a couple of months of starting to walk she lost all excess weight and "evened out".

I remember being at the doctor myself and just happened to have her with me and asking the doctor if he thought she was too heavy as some family members were passing comments. He said she was a picture of health and not to worry and that once she started walking and moving around she would lose it and he was right.

• Advertisement

Thanks January.
    Think ill have a word with my phn, see what she thinks.

Im not overly worried because as hannibal stated, one her weight is in proportion with her height then its fine. Every baby is so different. My 1st girl is 8 years old and is just 4 stone 1 lb.. She was a fussy eater as a baby and still is..

Thanx again :)

Thank you Egan2020..

You have completely put my mind at rest now. I was at PHN in december with her and everything was all fine. A bit above average on height and weight etc but the nurse didnt seem worried in the slightest.
    At 10months your daughter is 4lbs lighter than my 11 month old so all seems to be ok.

I have the little comments being passed from the wonderful family aswell haha! That is why i posted this, because it hadnt crossed my mind that she was over weight until the comments were thrown out there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Thanks January.
    Think ill have a word with my phn, see what she thinks.

Im not overly worried because as hannibal stated, one her weight is in proportion with her height then its fine. Every baby is so different. My 1st girl is 8 years old and is just 4 stone 1 lb.. She was a fussy eater as a baby and still is..

Thanx again :)

It's ok, I have the opposite problem to you, my two year old is 23lbs, so underweight for her height but she eats rings around herself...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Hi guys..
    While i was pregnant this site was a godsend but since having my little girl last April and being back at work i seldom have the time.

My daughter was 11 months yesterday, she is 30" tall and weighs 28lbs (2 stone)
    From an early age my public health nurse has told me she is longer than average for her age and thats fine..
    I looked up a website yesterday that said the average weight and height for a 2 year old is 30" and 28.4lb.. :eek:

Surely this cant be right.. But anyway..

I am just wonderin what everybody elses children around this age weigh?

Thanx in advance :) x

Just looked up my daughters record book as she was a big baby/toddler

Birth 9lb 1 oz at 1 week early length 54cm

12 weeks 63cm 6.9kgs

46 weeks (11 months) height 76cm (2 foot 6 inches) weight 12.5 kgs (27.8lbs) . She was breast fed.

She continued on this growth curve up until the age of 4 and then averaged out ( At 2 and 0 months still breast fed she was 17 kgs, and 94 cm, at 3 and 0 months she was 18.5 kgs and 103 cm) at 12 she is just above average and is the size and weight of a 13/14 year old.

A girl she grew up with was similar in height and weight up until 4 and she continued to grow at the same pace and when my lady averaged out, now at 12 my daughter is taller than her and thinner than her, she stopped growing at 11, everyone grows at a different pace. First off my lady was expected to be 5, 11" now she is thought to reach 5, 7", she now is 5 foot 3 and weighs around 100 pounds (fluctuates due to diabetes type 1, if she is sick she can loose 1 stone in a week, diagnosed age 7, hereditary, not diet related diabetes).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

OP I wouldn't worry too much. My little fella was a very chubby baby but once he started walking it fell off him...I actually miss his little chubby legs:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Avarage height and weight is just an average though... there's a whole range of "normal" that can vary a lot from the "average"!

I definitely wouldn't worry about it- as long as height and weight are roughly (as in weight not on the top of the scale, height on the bottom of the scale...) on the same percentile so your daughter is in proportion then she's most likely just fine! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

my 16 month old is 13 kg and over 3 foot. he's already in 3-4 year old clothes . wife is 6'2 and her dad 6'5 so its the genes.

Advertisement