Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fathers, leaving work if partner goes into labour early

Options
  • 08-03-2012 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

what is the protocol for leaving work if your wife/partner goes into labour early?
    is it generally seen as acceptable?
    I am an employee pharmacist and with no pharmacist on-site the pharmacy would have to close.
    don't want to miss the birth of my first born, but would it be reasonable to leave the pharmacy in such as case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

All you can do is check with your manager & give them the heads-up that the call could be coming at any time. Then it is up to them what they do about it. I don't know if there's legally any requirement to give notice, but I can't imagine anyone would kick up a fuss in these circumstances.

FYI: my husband was about 2 wks into his new job as a shop assistant & had to tear out of the shop & back home when I suddenly went into (what turned out to be a very short) labour. He let the employer know about our preg during the initial interview, and the employer knew I was due anyday. No one batted an eye that he left & was subsequently gone for a few days.

It is unfortunate for your company and the pharmacy customers, but I really can't see how it's unreasonable for you to leave to be with your partner during the birth of your child.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Op, I think it's a reasonable expectation to want to leave work to be with your partner when she goes into labour. However for the vast majority of women labour will go on for hours so there's no need to worry about abandoning your shop at short notice.

Just because the contractions start doesn't mean you have to drop everything and run.

Speak to your boss about it and try come up with a contingency plan in case you need to leave during working hours but also talk to your partner so when it does start you know at what point you really do need to be there. If contractions are 15/20 minutes apart then it's still in the early stages and there's no need to panic. If however they're 4 minutes you might want to get your coat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

kdowling wrote: »
    what is the protocol for leaving work if your wife/partner goes into labour early?
    is it generally seen as acceptable?
    I am an employee pharmacist and with no pharmacist on-site the pharmacy would have to close.
    don't want to miss the birth of my first born, but would it be reasonable to leave the pharmacy in such as case?

Surely there is a plan in place to cater for when your child is born? Are you taking any leave for that, and if so who will be covering for you then?

The reason I ask is that if someone is going to be brought in to cover for you when you are off, then how possible is it for that same person to come in and cover should you need to leave to attend the birth?

Advertisement