Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Licensing laws on Good Friday

• 08-03-2012 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

I was just thinking about the licensing laws on Good Friday and wondering why we still have such a law in place. I'm not a huge drinker but I've noticed that its a really messy night of the year in terms of house parties. Its as if a large portion of the country panics at the prospect of not being able to buy a drink until Saturday. There must be more drinking done on Good Friday than on any other Friday of the year.

I'm surprised that the law is still in place. Surely there must be a valid legal argument for abolishing it in this day and age.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

So what Irishman is not drinking on Good Friday, a few cans a game of poker followed by Klingon Boggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Pubs should be allowed to open and close when they like if they are not disturbing the people in residential areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

I was just thinking about the licensing laws on Good Friday and wondering why we still have such a law in place. I'm not a huge drinker but I've noticed that its a really messy night of the year in terms of house parties. Its as if a large portion of the country panics at the prospect of not being able to buy a drink until Saturday. There must be more drinking done on Good Friday than on any other Friday of the year.

I'm surprised that the law is still in place. Surely there must be a valid legal argument for abolishing it in this day and age.

sur were stil a good Catholic country!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

People and drink don't mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

i reckon this year, THIS YEAR will be the year...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Ah , its that time of the year again, this topic always comes up, like Poppy Day.

Remember the big up roar when Munster v Leinster game fell on Good Friday and the City of Limerick got a licence.

I understand, that if you are travelling by train on that day and in Connolly Station, you can get a pint.

Its great for those on social welfare / free travel as that ahem "trip to Belfast" won't come out of your pocket really. RTE interviewed some people, who were blatant chancers. Two of them said they were going to Belfast (and probably rarely ever left the Pale in their life) only to say, "ah I will go another day", with a wink and a half pished smile.

If you look hard enough, you can get round it.

Feck it, one of quietest days of the year, no harm all the same, being a religious holiday, and the actual reason many won't be working. Leave the ban where it is. No harm in hypocrisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Oh is it "give out about GF licensing" time already? Easter must be here soon :D
    Surely there must be a valid legal argument for abolishing it in this day and age.
    You come up with it, I'm right behind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

This law remains in place because it marks the day the lord Jesus died to save humanity..................

.............................You ungodly satan-worshipping trollop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Not Christian and would like if the option was open to me to go to the pub on a Friday night if the mood took me but tbh I'm not that bothered. There are probably things that should be higher up on the government's to do list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Oh here we go again....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Gee Bag wrote: »
    This law remains in place because it marks the day the lord Jesus died to save humanity..................

Ha Ha !!! LOL :D

mackg wrote: »
    Not Christian and would like if the option was open to me to go to the pub on a Friday night if the mood took me but tbh I'm not that bothered. There are probably things that should be higher up on the government's to do list.

There is nothing stopping you from going out on Friday Midnight - Saturday Morning. Some pubs and clubs will open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Topper7

Me and all my family are all in the pub trade. My sis owns/works in one, bro manages another one, dad owns/manages a pub and I work in a different one. We spend the day together (Stations, dinner etc) as its one of the only days of the year that we are all definately off. I enjoy the drinking ban on GF!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Not really fair on the other religions, Muslim and Jew that just because its a catholic country they cannot go for a pint either. Not fair tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Why is the priest allowed drink on Good Friday and we're not?

Shure wasn't Jesus himself an under-age alcoholic up to all sorts of mischief at weddings and the like, turning water into wine, and turning his sexy cousin into a nymphomaniac?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Probably a mad idea that would never work but would it be possible to take this to the European courts and claim discrimination against us by the Catholics?

I had another idea, I was thinking it might be funny go and bring a few cans to the church and drink there as a sort of protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I think we should leave it the way it is to be honest. It's a break from the norm and great craic getting a few house parties going.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 OmegaRed10

Not really fair on the other religions, Muslim and Jew that just because its a catholic country they cannot go for a pint either. Not fair tbh.

http://i.qkme.me/35jcaw.jpg

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Topper7

We have to follow much stricter laws when we visit their countries so I cant really see how this is a problem! (Also as far as I know muslims are not supposed to consume alcohol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,500 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Then go out to some Muslim country and try and get a drink. On ANY Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

GarIT wrote: »
    Probably a mad idea that would never work but would it be possible to take this to the European courts and claim discrimination against us by the Catholics?

I had another idea, I was thinking it might be funny go and bring a few cans to the church and drink there as a sort of protest.

God help little Ireland if we have people thinking like this...:confused:

How many are there? If a woman goes to a Muslim Country, don't they, out of respect for that country (and no choice) have to cover their heads in public?

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought many Muslims do not drink

Unless you are one of those, are you really that bothered about the plight of the Muslim or Jew?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Then go out to some Muslim country and try and get a drink. On ANY Friday.

Exactly, we should be happy thats its only once a year and not all year. God bless you Jesus.

You would get no where in the European Court or the European Court on Human Rights. What basis for discrimination by the way? How are you stopped from drinking? You would need deep pockets too, as you would have to go through the Irish Courts first

As for your other idea, is a Church a public place? Is drinking in public (unless in a public bar/licence premises and area) suppose to be illegal? Wouldn't you then be disrespecting people's beliefs swigging a can in Church, while they are fasting and doing their religious thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

jesus where did that year go!

Should pubs be allowed-yes, whether it happens or not, personally doesnt bother me. I get mouldy enough fridays as it is.

I don't see why this is trailing off about Muslims or Jews, I'm as Irish as anyone else here, it's just as much my country as anyone else's, so there's no point in saying if we were visiting a Muslim country. I want to be allowed drink everyday of the year and don't see why I shouldn't be allowed.

I don't see why this is trailing off about Muslims or Jews, I'm as Irish as anyone else here, it's just as much my country as anyone else's, so there's no point in saying if we were visiting a Muslim country. I want to be allowed drink everyday of the year and don't see why I shouldn't be allowed.

Someone, in many people's opinion, dishonestly, made a point for Muslims and Jews. That is all.

If Muslims were complaining, which, I don't think they were in the first place, just some Irish people pretending to be outraged (as oppose to being honest and saying, "i as an Irish and Christian born, do not like this ban.), then that Muslim can always pop over to Northern Ireland or mainland UK for a jolly up. Same for Jews who can't stand not to be in a bar for one day of the year.

There is nothing stopping you from drinking every day of the year. THere is no law stopping you. Off you go and drink to your hearts content on Good Friday. You are only prevented from buying drink and drinking in a public place. That ban ends at Friday midnight

You would get no where in the European Court or the European Court on Human Rights. What basis for discrimination by the way? How are you stopped from drinking? You would need deep pockets too, as you would have to go through the Irish Courts first

As for your other idea, is a Church a public place? Is drinking in public (unless in a public bar/licence premises and area) suppose to be illegal? Wouldn't you then be disrespecting people's beliefs swigging a can in Church, while they are fasting and doing their religious thing?

I know about the European thing, hence I said it was a mad idea, I was just wondering if it would hold any weight. The discrimination would be that I cannot consume alcohol in a pub or nightclub due to somebody else's religious beliefs.

It is supposed to be illegal AFAIK, but they are disrespecting my beliefs by making pubs close. If they want to not drink and fast, great for them and let them but it shouldn't impact me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

It needs to be dropped and the Angelas need to be dropped from RTE too.

• Advertisement

I know about the European thing, hence I said it was a mad idea, I was just wondering if it would hold any weight.

None whatsoever. They don't have jursidiction on that. THey must respect that each country has different cultural issues, in certain matters.
    The discrimination would be that I cannot consume alcohol in a pub or nightclub due to somebody else's religious beliefs.

No discrimination as you are no different to those who have a belief but still want to boogie on Friday night. Again, even if there was discrimination, it only lasts for 24 hours.

Secondly, you might not even get into a club or pub if its packed, your barred or not let in for being drunk (as can happen any other night)

Is is supposed to be illegal AFAIK

What is illegal
    , but they are disrespecting my beliefs by making pubs close. If they want to not drink and fast, great for them and let them but it shouldn't impact me.

They are not asking you to not drink and they are not asking you to fast on that day.

Why should you be allowed to drink in a church? You can't any other day of the week. Your being childish now.

Out of Interest,

Considering even some Protestants would be pious about drink on the Holy Day, what is the story in the North?

What happens in Italy or Rome?

In Poland?

Any other Catholic EU states have a ban?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

woodoo wrote: »

Then how would I know whether it is 12:00 or 18:00? :confused:

What is illegal

They are not asking you to not drink and they are not asking you to fast on that day.

Why should you be allowed to drink in a church? You can't any other day of the week. Your being childish now.

You asked if drinking in a public place is illegal, I think it is.

This is after hours, I was trying to be slightly humorous, it probably didn't have the desired affect, I just had the image of a load of drunks in a church as a protest.

I feel everyone else is being childish that they have to close pubs because they cant voluntarily stick to their religion and not drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Only one of two days a year the publican doesn't have to worry about having the bar open. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, a total non issue in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

I just had the image of a load of drunks in a church as a protest..
    Have you ever been to midnight mass,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

woodoo wrote: »

It's a bit much giving someone the sack just because they're called Angela.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The Good Friday Alcohol Ban must stay.

There is nothing funnier than seeing a bewildered Stag or Hen Party wandering around Temple Bar like your man from 28 Days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

There is nothing stopping you from going out on Friday Midnight - Saturday Morning. Some pubs and clubs will open.

You mean go out at midnight like the rest of europe?! Surely not :eek:

It's much better to be out at 6pm and tucked up back in bed by 2am if you ask me. Thankfully we have leaders who know what's best for us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I'd vote to keep it as it gives us a chance to give 2 fingers to the church establishment.
    If it wasn't taboo there would be no house partys.
    Make sure I get a quarter pounder at lunchtime aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

Yeah, I'm kind of indifferent to pubs anyway, I was just curios that this licensing law is still in place. It must seem odd to any of the tourists in the country at that time. I would have thought that the vintners or hospitality industry would have pushed to have it changed by now. I'm a very moderate drinker to begin with and my husband and I are off booze and junk food as a health thing for Lent, not for religious reasons.

We were planning to go out on Easter Saturday night for a few drinks, however I got to thinking about how messy it usually is with binge drinking that weekend due to the pubs being closed on the Friday and decided against it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

You'll get the usual "jasus sure it's only one day a year can you not go without a drink we're such alcos in Ireland" etc.

But my gripe with it is that it's the church interfering with our daily lives, and the government nannying us. It's the principal. But Ireland is a nanny state and we like it that way so what's the point in even discussing this anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Topper7 wrote: »
    We have to follow much stricter laws when we visit their countries so I cant really see how this is a problem! (Also as far as I know muslims are not supposed to consume alcohol)

ive seen some muslims drink wine before...only the muslims that take islam seriously don't drink.

We were planning to go out on Easter Saturday night for a few drinks, however I got to thinking about how messy it usually is with binge drinking that weekend due to the pubs being closed on the Friday and decided against it.

Be sure to double lock your doors too, they're all out to get you!

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    You'll get the usual "jasus sure it's only one day a year can you not go without a drink we're such alcos in Ireland" etc.

But my gripe with it is that it's the church interfering with our daily lives, and the government nannying us. It's the principal. But Ireland is a nanny state and we like it that way so what's the point in even discussing this anymore?

The Church are not legislatures of this State. They have little influence in matters now. If enough people called the shots the Dáil would consider turning

The Church are not legislatures of this State. They have little influence in matters now. If enough people called the shots the Dáil would consider turning

Yeah but I'd imagine that's why the law is there in the first place. Unless the publicans kick up a fuss, which they don't seem to do, I can't see this being changed in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

you can buy beer on the train on good friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Gee Bag wrote: »

Its funny because of your username :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I used to live in a town in Germany where all the shops closed half day on a Saturday and all day Sunday every weekend.... madness Joe.. it took me all of a week to get used to the idea.

You can't buy booze in the pub one Friday in the year NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

That said can't see the logic about keeping it on the books and wasting resources pretend to enforce it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

In the last few years this debate has come up more-so repeatedly.
    Its for me, a case of the state with religion being used to back a law via the constitution, to enforce a belief system and as such, one of its dictates, upon the people of Ireland.
    ...Even those that do not share this religion.

That to me is clear discrimination if only from a legal point of view.
    I'm open to be wrong and have it pointed out where!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I have yet to hear a good argument in favour of this absurd ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Out of Interest,

Considering even some Protestants would be pious about drink on the Holy Day, what is the story in the North?

What happens in Italy or Rome?

In Poland?

Any other Catholic EU states have a ban?

I took the train to Belfast on Good Friday last year for the laugh. There were a few pubs open all day and then the rest opened around 4 or 5.

• Advertisement
Advertisement