Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Licensing laws on Good Friday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Only one of two days a year the publican doesn't have to worry about having the bar open. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, a total non issue in my book.

Idea why not close the pubs all year, then the publican ''doesn't have to worry about having the bar open'' ever, apart from no income and having to pay rates.

As Ireland is a secular state (not a theocatic state) there is a clear separation between religious law and state law.

The reason that catholics are not allowed to drink on GF is cause it's against their religion, even though many very naughty catholic boys & girls still drink on that day.

The reason Muslims are not allowed to drink anyday of the week, it's against their religion.

The reason for the prohabition by the government of the sale of alcohol on GF is because
    .....of.....eerrm....thinks...wait.

The government allows you to consume alcohol which goes against the catholic-law.
    The government prohibites the sale of alcohol which is not against the catholic-law.

So the reason for the prohabition by the government of the sale of alcohol on GF is because.....of.....eerrm......??? they decided pubs need a day off which just happens to be the day GF falls on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

They should remove the need to close from the licensing laws and leave it down to each publican to decide if they will open or close depending on their religious views.
    after all, they dont force chippers to close cause they sell burgers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Baneblade wrote: »
    ...after all, they dont force chippers to close cause they sell burgers

Yet! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Topper7 wrote: »
    Me and all my family are all in the pub trade. My sis owns/works in one, bro manages another one, dad owns/manages a pub and I work in a different one. We spend the day together (Stations, dinner etc) as its one of the only days of the year that we are all definately off. I enjoy the drinking ban on GF!

And you could continue to close. Nothing stopping you. Just like you could close every monday if your not making money on mondays. You should have the choice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Topper7

And you could continue to close. Nothing stopping you. Just like you could close every monday if your not making money on mondays. You should have the choice though.

Point is its the only day we are all off... Its a excuse for us not to go to work and nobody can give out to us about it. & we dont upset the regulars and dont risk loosing their business as we know all the pubs will closed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

I remember when everything seemed to come to a standstill in my town on Good Friday. The shops would close early and by 3 o' clock the place was like a ghost town as most companies would've shut at lunchtime. All that has changed now but the licensing is still the same.

Like I said earlier, I'm not much of a drinker and rarely go to pubs, I'm just surprised that the law is still in place, especially as it just seems to encourage people to stock up on Thursday. It can be as bad as Christmas eve in the drinks aisle of a supermarket. It must be really annoying for tourists coming here for Easter. Given that Limerick got a license for the Rugby last year I'm surprised there wasn't more of a push by the industry to repeal the law. It certainly does nothing to curb peoples drinking on that day/night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

we only copped to this recently, we book into a hotel for the night, have a spa break, followed by a few drinks, its great fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Exactly, we should be happy thats its only once a year and not all year. God bless you Jesus.

Twice actually, you forgot Xmas day too, or maybe three if a pope dies.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

I realise this is a silly question but for a student who is handing up a portion of his thesis on thursday it still needs to be asked and hopefully answered.

licensing laws for good friday.... do they come into effect at 00:00 or would night clubs on thursday night be allowed to continue until their regular closing time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Topper7

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    I realise this is a silly question but for a student who is handing up a portion of his thesis on thursday it still needs to be asked and hopefully answered.

licensing laws for good friday.... do they come into effect at 00:00 or would night clubs on thursday night be allowed to continue until their regular closing time?

Law comes into effect on thursday night at midnight. Some nightclubs open at midnight on good fri night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Are there any TDs that openly oppose the law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Catholics are not the only people who celebrate Easter you know, and a number of the other religions that do celebrate it don't believe in drinking in full stop so I fail to see how it's discrimination by the Catholic Church - it's a Christian thing, not a Catholic thing.

Also, it's not only in Ireland that there is a law like this. In NZ on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Christmas day you can only get a drink with a meal or if you are staying at the hotel/tavern where you are ordering said drink (i.e. you can't go in to a pub and just drink all day or to a club until the wee hours of the morning) - and to make it worse if you eat out here on Public Holidays you'll get 15% added on to your bill because their staff costs are higher (which is bollocks). So you'd have to pay a lot to have your drink on Good Friday! Off-licences are closed and the booze section of the supermarket is closed off.

Catholicism isn't nearly as big here and a lot more people claim to be atheists but they still have licencing laws concerning Good Friday, albeit not quite as strict. I don't know how much religion really has to do with it - so I don't think complaining about the Catholic Church really works in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

watna wrote: »
    Catholics are not the only people who celebrate Easter you know, and a number of the other religions that do celebrate it don't believe in drinking in full stop so I fail to see how it's discrimination by the Catholic Church - it's a Christian thing, not a Catholic thing.

Also, it's not only in Ireland that there is a law like this. In NZ on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Christmas day you can only get a drink with a meal or if you are staying at the hotel/tavern where you are ordering said drink (i.e. you can't go in to a pub and just drink all day or to a club until the wee hours of the morning) - and to make it worse if you eat out here on Public Holidays you'll get 15% added on to your bill because their staff costs are higher (which is bollocks). So you'd have to pay a lot to have your drink on Good Friday! Off-licences are closed and the booze section of the supermarket is closed off.

Catholicism isn't nearly as big here and a lot more people claim to be atheists but they still have licencing laws concerning Good Friday, albeit not quite as strict. I don't know how much religion really has to do with it - so I don't think complaining about the Catholic Church really works in this case.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

:confused:

I think she means religion isn't as big here and its a more liberal country, to still hold on to hold religious based laws is odd for this country.

Still have a lot of the new world religious movements here, I don't count those :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Every single year there is at least one thread about this.

So from being an ex-bartender I'd like to point out that there are only two guaranteed holidays of the year, good Friday and Christmas day. Stop bloody complaining about 2 days of the year (okay in this instance only one) where the damn pubs are closed seriously, stop it.

There are 363(364) other days in the year where you can drink in the pub and this day you might just have to be prepared and buy alcohol the day before!

A list of seemingly lovely "holidays" where bartenders are usually in the thick of it - St Patrick's Day (the mother of all days), EVERY BANK HOLIDAY, those big match weekends, world cup, euro championship, Olympics etc.... (not holidays but most people treat them as such with the pub) so please on this good Friday shut the hell up about it being closed and buy your drink the day before.

[/rant]
    [/thread]
    [/pub doors on Good Friday]

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Speaking for the devout church going 84 percenters you heathens are lucky we don't close it every Friday.
    As for the burgers, you've just given us an idea . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Rabies wrote: »
    I think she means religion isn't as big here and its a more liberal country, to still hold on to hold religious based laws is odd for this country.

Still have a lot of the new world religious movements here, I don't count those :)

Yep - that's exactly what I meant. NZ isn't a very religious country (although there are oddly a lpt of mormons) but they still have similar laws. I've never heard anyone complain once about it in the 4 years I've lived here but there's a thread on AH every year about it.

The same licencing laws also apply on Anzac day until 1pm and that public holiday has nothing to do with religion at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Catholics are not the only people who celebrate Easter you know, and a number of the other religions that do celebrate it don't believe in drinking in full stop so I fail to see how it's discrimination by the Catholic Church - it's a Christian thing, not a Catholic thing..

Indeed as mentioned even the UK has Good Friday entertainment rules (no domestic horse racing meets on Good Friday).. most of the countries in Europe have some sort of restrictions on some form of entertainment on the day.. yet still so many come out with the 'only in Ireland' cliché.

..but this is Ireland, a place where unless you have unrestricted shopping, alcohol and all, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year you are seriously hard done by. Then half of the complainers go and emmigrate to countries with a lot more traditional approaches to business etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I've learned from this thread that bar workers don't get any annual leave and work 363 days in the year.
    Princes among men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

For 2 days of the year, the pub isnt open, and everytime they come up, these threads appear. 2 days......

Funny thing is, I'd bet half the whingers wouldnt even go to the pub on those days anyway!

• Advertisement

Anyone wrote: »
    For 2 days of the year, the pub isnt open, and everytime they come up, these threads appear. 2 days......

Funny thing is, I'd bet half the whingers wouldnt even go to the pub on those days anyway!

Of course. We want to go because we know we can't go. If we could go it wouldn't have the same appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Of course. We want to go because we know we can't go. If we could go it wouldn't have the same appeal.

I know, its the typical AH whingefest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I think that if any publican wants to open his pub he should be allowed to.
    If he's holy and wants to remain shut then he has that option also.

I also think that the the pubs should be allowed to stay open on Xmas day if they wish.
    I'm thinking of the elderly old guy who pops in for a quart every day - this being his only social outlet.
    But the "christians" among us say to this old lad, "feck off home and eat your cold turkey on your own".

Publicans should be given the choice to open or not.
    The public should be given the choice to frequent the said establishment or not.

Anyone who doesn't agree with me is a nutter - in my opinion!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

If the pubs opened on Good Friday, when would they get time to varnish the floors or paint the place? There'd be anarachy... and grotty pubs....

Plazaman wrote: »
    If the pubs opened on Good Friday, when would they get time to varnish the floors or paint the place? There'd be anarachy... and grotty pubs....

They're empty on monday to wednesday. Plenty of time to do it then

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

I was just thinking about the licensing laws on Good Friday and wondering why we still have such a law in place. I'm not a huge drinker but I've noticed that its a really messy night of the year in terms of house parties. Its as if a large portion of the country panics at the prospect of not being able to buy a drink until Saturday. There must be more drinking done on Good Friday than on any other Friday of the year.

I'm surprised that the law is still in place. Surely there must be a valid legal argument for abolishing it in this day and age.

With all the fcuking dirty knacker pissheads destroying the place week in, week out, I think the streets of Dublin could do without being drenched with piss and vomit for just one night, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

GarIT wrote: »
    Probably a mad idea that would never work but would it be possible to take this to the European courts and claim discrimination against us by the Catholics?

Haven't the likes of you already made enough money from the tribunals?

If you support the banning of anything "on religious grounds" you are a nutter!!!

Half baked excuses like "it's only one day" etc are lame.
    I have more respect for the guy who comes out and says "Blah Blah Blah God Jesus Blah".
    He's still a nutter though!!!

My birthday is on Good Friday.

Fuc­k you Jesus... I thought you were cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

Publicans get 2 days off a year stop giving out about the pubs being closed.

• Advertisement

Yep - that's exactly what I meant. NZ isn't a very religious country (although there are oddly a lpt of mormons) but they still have similar laws. I've never heard anyone complain once about it in the 4 years I've lived here but there's a thread on AH every year about it.

The same licencing laws also apply on Anzac day until 1pm and that public holiday has nothing to do with religion at all.

No one really moans about it at all,you're right.
    People stock up more on a long weekend when you're going to the bach for a weekend.

The Anzac rule came in partially to stop the veterans from drinking late at night and missing the dawn service.
    Not many people drink in the morning anyway, unless its a weekend then all the bar staff go for a few early ones after work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I've learned from this thread that bar workers don't get any annual leave and work 363 days in the year.
    Princes among men.

364 days a year on a leap year, they never take a day off or have other staff to cover for them, hard life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,176 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Topper7 wrote: »
    Not really fair on the other religions, Muslim and Jew that just because its a catholic country they cannot go for a pint either. Not fair tbh.

We have to follow much stricter laws when we visit their countries so I cant really see how this is a problem! (Also as far as I know muslims are not supposed to consume alcohol)

Their countries? Im pretty sure you can be Irish and not be a Christian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

slaneylad wrote: »

See, this is what I don't understand. I know 3 publicans who run small family-owned pubs in rural areas and only take these 2 days off a year. What's stopping them from taking a day off in the middle of the week some time? Just close the pub for a day here and there so you get some time to relax. Close the pub for a week so you get a proper break. Your customers won't desert you forever just because you're gone for a short period of time.

Is there a reason why publicans won't do this? Are they tied to delivery dates from breweries or something like that? I really don't understand why, as a self-employed business person, a publican can't dictate his or her own time off. I'm genuinely curious, can anyone in the business enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SEEMagazine

I was once in Port Arlington on the way back from a USI conference on Good Friday (usual waiting for a connection bs) and I took a wander around the place to kill some time. Of course the pub just next to the train station was packed to the rafters, a huge amount of craic and hooly-esque noises coming out of the place. Garda car parked outside too.

Limerick was able to get a lift on the ban for the Munster-Leinster game a few years back, AND if if I recall the original law you're not supposed to deny a walking traveller a drink so long as they've taken the time to walk from a few parishes over.

No such ban here thankfully. Of course, no Easter Eggs either. I'd murder a bag of Cadbury' Mini Eggs right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

good news for Corkonian alcoholics:

http://www.corkman.ie/news/cheery-good-friday-at-the-greyhound-track-3065671.html
    CORK'S greyhound track is to 'move with the times' and open on Good Friday. Curraheen Park is among the few licensed venues to be exempt from the Good Friday restrictions on the sale of alcohol. The venue will open for customers on Good Friday, April 6 at 6.30pm with 10 live Greyhound Races taking place. Bars will close at 11pm, with the stadiums to close soon after at 11.30pm. "Ireland has undergone massive social change in recent years, and like any other business we must move with the changing times and respond to customer demand," commented Elizabeth Igoe, Sales, Commercial and Operations Manager, Curraheen Park Greyhound Stadium. "A number of racegoers have in recent years requested that greyhound racing take place on Good Friday. We are confident as always that visitors will enjoy a truly great night"

jokettle wrote: »
    See, this is what I don't understand. I know 3 publicans who run small family-owned pubs in rural areas and only take these 2 days off a year. What's stopping them from taking a day off in the middle of the week some time? Just close the pub for a day here and there so you get some time to relax. Close the pub for a week so you get a proper break. Your customers won't desert you forever just because you're gone for a short period of time.

Is there a reason why publicans won't do this? Are they tied to delivery dates from breweries or something like that? I really don't understand why, as a self-employed business person, a publican can't dictate his or her own time off. I'm genuinely curious, can anyone in the business enlighten me?

Many Irish pubs are still family run.
    Taking some time off and closing for a week or two isn't good business practice. Might have been ok years ago.

Newer pubs or chains are rarely owner operated, only managed from a distance.
    Get senior staff to cover and hire temp staff if required.
    Keep on making $.

There is no law that says publicans must open 363 days per year!

The law - as dictated to ALL of us by the jesus gang through their puppet governments - states all publicans must close on the friday before Easter and on Xmas day.

Why should the "christians" be allowed to dictate their unusual practices to the sane members of the community???
    Why would they want to dictate to us??

Please let us have the "free will" you pretend to believe in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Not really fair on the other religions, Muslim and Jew that just because its a catholic country they cannot go for a pint either. Not fair tbh.
    Thats some good knowledge on religion right there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. :D

God bless contries with sensible athiest drinking laws....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Well if you think about it a good Muslim shouldn't be going for a pint anyway. :pac:

Arawn wrote: »
    Thats some good knowledge on religion right there

I know Muslims who drink alcohol.
    I know plenty of people who describe themselves as Catholics, who use contraceptives, would support gay marriage, never go to mass and think transubstantiation is far fetched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

What clubs/pubs in town are opening at 12 on Friday night does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Ah, quit your moaning. If they start opening the pubs, it'll only be a matter of time until a lot work places don't close on Good Friday.

I wonder how many of you then will be complaining about having to work on "a holy day" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

If Muslims or Jews don't like it, they're free to leave :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

woodoo wrote: »
    It needs to be dropped and the Angelas need to be dropped from RTE too.

Yes, because only 84% of the people are Catholic.

Ah, quit your moaning. If they start opening the pubs, it'll only be a matter of time until a lot work places don't close on Good Friday.

I wonder how many of you then will be complaining about having to work on "a holy day" :rolleyes:

It is not a public holiday - many people work on this day already!
    Either give everybody a day off and make it a proper holiday or do not.
    This half way house stuff is bollix...as is the pubs closing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Yes, because only 84% of the people are Catholic.

We should find a way to have it in Irish, y'know for those 1.77 million Irish speakers we have.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So every publlican in the land works 363 days a year then? Seriously?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I was just thinking about the licensing laws on Good Friday and wondering why we still have such a law in place. I'm not a huge drinker but I've noticed that its a really messy night of the year in terms of house parties. Its as if a large portion of the country panics at the prospect of not being able to buy a drink until Saturday. There must be more drinking done on Good Friday than on any other Friday of the year.

I'm surprised that the law is still in place. Surely there must be a valid legal argument for abolishing it in this day and age.

Why do you care then?

• Advertisement
Advertisement