Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Licensing laws on Good Friday

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Because nobody should be able tell her that she can't have her one drink on that day if she so desires.
    Give people the choice!!!

I repeat - if you think that banning anything "for religious reasons" is a good idea - then you are a nutter!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yes, because only 84% of the people are Catholic.

They are in their ****in arse!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. :D

God bless contries with sensible athiest drinking laws....

Yeah. Saudi Arabia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

They are in their ****in arse!

You might want to consider rephrasing that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yeah. Saudi Arabia

I've never been so am open to correction on this, but I don't think Saudi Arabia is an athiest country...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

woodoo wrote: »
    It needs to be dropped and the Angelas need to be dropped from RTE too.
    We should find a way to have it in Irish, y'know for those 1.77 million Irish speakers we have.....

Would that be Án Bong or Ná Bong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,500 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

woodoo wrote: »
    It needs to be dropped and the Angelas need to be dropped from RTE too.

Angela who ?
    I would prefer to see Pat Kenny dropped from R.T.E. (from a plane at 35,000 ft).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

anyone know if there's any pubs opening on Friday?
    I know Charlie Chawke did it with his ones a few years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

This stupid fucking thread... AGAIN

Who actually cares about this? Its one day, big deal. I suppose you're complaining about the day off for most people too..

This stupid fucking thread... AGAIN

Who actually cares about this? Its one day, big deal. I suppose you're complaining about the day off for most people too..

Every year, I know. it's more the principle of the thing. A non-law making institution instills laws on people, people who do not caer for said institution are going to be annoyed. You say it's only one day, but why should it be even one day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,500 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Every year, I know. it's more the principle of the thing. A non-law making institution instills laws on people, people who do not caer for said institution are going to be annoyed. You say it's only one day, but why should it be even one day?

The pub beside me will be packed to the roof.
    Great band playing too -- "pontius pilate and the nail drivers".

I don't exactly get worked up about it, not really being a drinker at all, but in principle I do think it should be up to the establishment whether to open.
    And whatever about pubs, shouldn't shops be allowed to sell alcohol that day if they want to? :confused:

I was sympathising with the pubs saying "but there's only 2 guaranteed days off" - but there are plenty of shops that'll close every sunday for example and still are doing fine business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

The pub beside me will be packed to the roof.
    Great band playing too -- "pontius pilate and the nail drivers".

http://memecrunch.com/meme/5FH/not-sure-if-serious-fry/image.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

As much as I dislike the state limiting my freedoms on the day because of religious influence, I do like all the religious holidays I get without being part of the religion.

bluewolf wrote: »

I was sympathising with the pubs saying "but there's only 2 guaranteed days off" - but there are plenty of shops that'll close every sunday for example and still are doing fine business.

I don't buy this. I worked in a call center that was open 24/7 365 days a year. No one campaigned to get us two days off a year.

(Of course no one actually physically worked there all the time, shifts being wonderfuls things and all, ya know...)

You don't buy what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Sindri wrote: »
    Shure wasn't Jesus himself an under-age alcoholic up to all sorts of mischief at weddings and the like, turning water into wine, and turning his sexy cousin into a nymphomaniac?

Where do I go to buy that version of the bible? Sounds class!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SEEMagazine

Christmas is a Christian holiday, the pubs are shut, and I don't hear much of a furore over it. Whether we choose to live a religious life or not, our history is flavoured heavily by the choices made by our ancestors.

How long would it take for a flame war to begin if I were to suggest that the British would have been better off finishing the job and destroying the Church here? By eradicating us a people?

I'm what we all like to call a submarine Catholic, surfaces at Christmas, Easter, etc, but then again, I'm marrying into a fairly religious family so I do find myself at mass more than I am comfortable with. Last Sunday, Palm Sunday, there were a few 'rituals' which would not be found here, and I felt incredibly uneasy. It made me realise that while I don't practise, I am still an Irish Catholic, and that would likely go for many here.

I've broken 9 of the 10 Commandments, and there are days when that 10th might go just as easily, but irrespective of all of this I cannot see why Good Friday, as a drinking issue, is such a big thing. We're a stubborn race, hate being told what to do, and I'm of the opinion that if David Cameron was to ridicule the pub-closure in Westminster later today that we'd all be up in arms over it.

Noone here moaned at getting a few shekels at Communion or Confirmation. The women still want their big day out (wedding). In truth we're generally a country of begrudgers, and hypocrites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Lol... religion...

Think I'll get beers n the house and have a drink if I want one or not... religion telling people they can and can not do stuff... laughable.

bluewolf wrote: »
    You don't buy what?

Buy (as in fall for, accept, be taken in by, subscribe to, accept) the argument.

No stop making me waste posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Where To wrote: »
    People and drink don't mix.

No but whiskey and coke certainly do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Well Judge Mary Fahy in Galway District Court would love this thread ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

There are Jews in the world.
    There are Buddhists.
    There are Hindus and Mormons, and then
    There are those that follow Mohammed, but
    I've never been one of them.

I'm a Roman Catholic,
    And have been since before I was born,
    And the one thing they say about Catholics is:
    They'll take you as soon as you're warm.

You don't have to be a six-footer.
    You don't have to have a great brain.
    You don't have to have any clothes on. You're
    A Catholic the moment Dad came,

Because

Every sperm is sacred.
    Every sperm is great.
    If a sperm is wasted,
    God gets quite irate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Buy (as in fall for, accept, be taken in by, subscribe to, accept) the argument.No stop making me waste posts.

Seeing as how you are located in Berlin it seems, do you get equally as upset about Good Friday laws in Germany which it could be argued are even more restrictive than in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

You all do realise that you can actually have a drink on Good Friday don't you....you just can't go to the pub or buy it from the shops.

Stock up over the next day or two if you need your drink that badly. It's just one day....surely you can live without your local for 24 little hours.

I understand there's the issue of the priniciple of it but if you dislike the Church that much and want it gone, there are more important things you could focus on like the Abuse Scandals then worrying about the one day of the year you can't go for a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

You all do realise that you can actually have a drink on Good Friday don't you....you just can't go to the pub or buy it from the shops.

Stock up over the next day or two if you need your drink that badly. It's just one day....surely you can live without your local for 24 little hours.

I understand there's the issue of the priniciple of it but if you dislike the Church that much and want it gone, there are more important things you could focus on like the Abuse Scandals then worrying about the one day of the year you can't go for a pint.

Malaria kills 5,000 a day and you're worried about the abuse scandal?

Just making the point that just because we have bigger problems doesnt mean we should ignore smaller ones.

prinz wrote: »
    Seeing as how you are located in Berlin it seems, do you get equally as upset about Good Friday laws in Germany which it could be argued are even more restrictive than in Ireland?

It could not be argued without pointing out which laws, specific to Berlin (as they change from region to region over here) you are saying are more restrictive than in Ireland and pointing out that religion was indeed the reason.

It could not be argued without pointing out which laws, specific to Berlin (as they change from region to region over here) you are saying are more restrictive than in Ireland and pointing out that religion was indeed the reason.

I'm fully aware that Germany is a federal state but that's just taking the mickey now.

Would I be correct in saying that in Berlin there is a Tanzverbot law between certain hours on Good Friday? Or that Good Friday has noise pollution restrictions different from regular Fridays?

I'm fully aware that Germany is a federal state but that's just taking the mickey now.

Would I be correct in saying that in Berlin there is a Tanzverbot law between certain hours on Good Friday? Or that Good Friday has noise pollution restrictions different from regular Fridays?

I have absolutely no idea. Never heard of them. If you are serious in arguing the point, again, you're going to have to firstly prove that these laws exist and secondly prove that they do so for religious reasons. Regardless, i can assure that dancing does occur and the noise levels only come into play if you piss off the neigbors, regardless of what day it is, so there is a huge difference in the ability to carry out said actions compared to opening a pub on Good Friday in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Where To wrote: »
    People and drink don't mix.

They do in one of these.

Pic

I have absolutely no idea. Never heard of them. If you are serious in arguing the point, again, you're going to have to firstly prove that these laws exist and secondly prove that they do so for religious reasons. Regardless, i can assure that dancing does occur and the noise levels only come into play if you piss off the neigbors, regardless of what day it is, so there is a huge difference in the ability to carry out said actions compared to opening a pub on Good Friday in Ireland.

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20110423-34579.html

Granted it refers to another Land but AFAIK similar laws are still applicable in Berlin. I also found this.
    In Berlin gilt:
    Tanzverbot am Karfreitag von 4.00 Uhr am Morgen bis 21.00 Uhr am Abend.
    Die Berliner können vier Stunden lang tanzen am Karfreitag. Danach ist es dann auch egal. Trinkt noch einen Absacker, geht Frühstücken und schon ist es wieder 21 Uhr am Abend. Und tanzt nochmal drei Stunden weiter, schon sind sieben Stunden zusammengerockt.
    Quelle: § 4 Verordnung über den Schutz der Sonn- und Feiertage (Feiertagsschutz- Verordnung – FSchVO)

http://www.pop64.de/berlin-gewinnt/tanzverbot-karfreitag-hamburg-vs-berlin/

The difference isn't all that great when nightclubs have to clear the dancefloors come a certain hour is it. Or do you see a major difference between you can come into the nightclub and drink but you can't dance, and you can come into the night club and dance but you can't drink :pac:

Might also be interested in this..
    http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t3025.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Then way is it a Bank Holiday in the UK and not in Ireland ?!?!
    clashburke wrote: »
    sur were stil a good Catholic country!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20110423-34579.html

Granted it refers to another Land but AFAIK similar laws are still applicable in Berlin. I also found this.

http://www.pop64.de/berlin-gewinnt/tanzverbot-karfreitag-hamburg-vs-berlin/

The difference isn't all that great when nightclubs have to clear the dancefloors come a certain hour is it. Or do you see a major difference between you can come into the nightclub and drink but you can't dance, and you can come into the night club and dance but you can't drink :pac:

Might also be interested in this..
    http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t3025.html

Does sounds a bit daft, I give you that, but I'm pretty sure they open regardless. Can't be sure as I'm not a fan of nightclubs.

I will be drinking though :D!

I will be drinking though :D!

So will I, whoop! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Burgers and beer on Good Friday
    Tastes good any day, but better on good Friday for some reason!

My mother will only cook fish on good friday - I'll call saturday instead!

Advertisement