Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus wouldn't give me change >.<

• 08-03-2012 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

I got on the bus today, in malahide. My bus pass had run out, I had a 1 euro coin, and a 5 euro note on my person. Its 2.65 into the city centre. And the driver would not give me change to let me buy a ticket. Nor would he just take the fiver as payment, cos I was in a hurry :mad: had to walk all the way to the train station, after waiting half an hour for the sodding bus anyway. Stupid bus. Anyway.... bad bus rant blargh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

Bus driver doesnt have access to the money to give you change.... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I hate when underpants get wedged up the bum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

I don't want to sound over the top here, but this is undoubtedly the worst case of human rights abuse since the genocide in Rwanda.

We're all here for you OP, sending our love and admiration for your courage. Be Strong for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Im not even from dublin and I know you have to have exact change,
    if I remember correctly a poster on here was removed from the bus by the gaurds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

cloud493 wrote: »
    I got on the bus today, in malahide. My bus pass had run out, I had a 1 euro coin, and a 5 euro note on my person. Its 2.65 into the city centre. And the driver would not give me change to let me buy a ticket. Nor would he just take the fiver as payment, cos I was in a hurry :mad: had to walk all the way to the train station, after waiting half an hour for the sodding bus anyway. Stupid bus. Anyway.... bad bus rant blargh

Clearly you need more practice using public transport. Amateur!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I hate when they give you those 5+ cents reclaim tickets, I wonder does anyone ever reclaim them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Welcome to The Big Smoke buoy! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Gee Bag wrote: »
    I don't want to sound over the top here, but this is undoubtedly the worst case of human rights abuse since the genocide in Rwanda.

We're all here for you OP, sending our love and admiration for your courage. Be Strong for us.

The celebrity filled song is on its way a la the Simpsons:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

44leto wrote: »
    I hate when they give you those 5+ cents reclaim tickets, I wonder does anyone ever reclaim them

I saved mine for ages and got twenty quid back. So yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Why didn't you ask someone on the bus if they had change?

• Advertisement

qz wrote: »
    I saved mine for ages and got twenty quid back. So yeah.

LOL

I'm speechless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

In Soviet Russia, bus change you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ghandee wrote: »
    In Soviet Russia, bus change you!

How so? I'm intrigued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Janey_Mac

This is how buses have worked for well over a decade. No sympathy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Today I wanted to get out a tenner from the ATM, but it only had twenties. Weep for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If you go back, oh I dunno, 15 years ago you might have gotten change...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭kthnxbai

The bit that I find strange about this, is that you seem like someone who uses the bus a fair bit, since you have a ticket, yet you don't know that the bus only takes exact change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Birneybau wrote: »
    How so? I'm intrigued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I was chancing it :o but I offered the driver the fiver, no change cos I couldn't be arsed going the train station, and he said no! silly driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

first world problems thread>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>thataway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I was chancing it :o but I offered the driver the fiver, no change cos I couldn't be arsed going the train station, and he said no! silly driver.

They're not allowed take notes either, they'd block up the coin chute for one. Everybody knows busses only take exact fare and coins only, it's not a secret and it's your own fault for not being more prepared, not the driver's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

They sure do. A guy I knew in college used to always collect them, much to the sound of our berating, calling him a miser etc etc. So come the end of the college year he had accumulated a princely sum of 50/60 euro. He scoffed at our broke heads when he cashed them in and had a nice night out for himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭fiinch

was in town not too long ago and got €50 back from my refund tickets, worth saving when you get the bus in and out of town loads but not often enough to warrant buying a pass. mostly 45c refunds from using a €2 coin but i'd save a 5c refund as well if i got one.

if you don't, it's like finding out you're owed tax back from the government and then just being like "nah, you keep it". fúck that and fúck them - my money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Imagine that, a non corrupt bus driver, what is the world coming to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Free the cloud493 one.

du Maurier wrote: »
    They sure do. A guy I knew in college used to always collect them, much to the sound of our berating, calling him a miser etc etc. So come the end of the college year he had accumulated a princely sum of 50/60 euro. He scoffed at our broke heads when he cashed them in and had a nice night out for himself!

An idea for a charity, place some sort of secure vessel on the buses so people can opt to donate. Say Vincent Du Paul, they are quite busy ATM.

If I was the bus driver, I'd have taken the fiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Maybe I'm the only one, but I agree with the OP.

I've known about the Dublin bus change thing since it came in to play. When I did force myself to use the bus I would have coins on me.

I understand its probably a a safety measure to not allow drivers access to money or take notes. Less chance of getting robbed.

But is there not a more efficient system out there.

Why should I or anyone else go to their depot/office or where ever to get MY money back?

As a customer you give money over that is legal tender. Is the receipt they give you back legal tender? Can it used in the local Spar shop on O Connell Street instead of notes/coins? Doubt it.

Some countries have other systems in place. Swipe cards that are pre paid and topped up in shops. Others accepts notes of a lower value and change is given back.

How much money is sitting in account of the Dublin Bus waiting to be claimed?
    Is there a time limit? I don't know.

To be honest, its not a customer or tourist friendly system.

Ireland is still heavily cash based, tourists use more cash than card at times. There needs to be a better system in place.

Exact change or a prepaid swipe card that can be recharged (not disposable or one time use)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

It's the silly people who get on without having the correct change and delay 50+ other peoples journey faffing about that p1ss me off.
    An idea for a charity, place some sort of secure vessel on the buses so people can opt to donate. Say Vincent Du Paul, they are quite busy ATM.

Jack and Jill actually have something like that.

https://www.jackandjill.ie/how-you-can-help/dublin-bus/

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not a donation point on the bus but charities have been advertising for years for people to give them their change tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Rabies wrote: »
    Exact change or a prepaid swipe card that can be recharged (not disposable or one time use)

Leap Card, no?

Maybe I'm the only one, but I agree with the OP.

I've known about the Dublin bus change thing since it came in to play. When I did force myself to use the bus I would have coins on me.

I understand its probably a a safety measure to not allow drivers access to money or take notes. Less chance of getting robbed.

But is there not a more efficient system out there.

Why should I or anyone else go to their depot/office or where ever to get MY money back?

As a customer you give money over that is legal tender. Is the receipt they give you back legal tender? Can it used in the local Spar shop on O Connell Street instead of notes/coins? Doubt it.

Some countries have other systems in place. Swipe cards that are pre paid and topped up in shops. Others accepts notes of a lower value and change is given back.

How much money is sitting in account of the Dublin Bus waiting to be claimed?
    Is there a time limit? I don't know.

To be honest, its not a customer or tourist friendly system.

Ireland is still heavily cash based, tourists use more cash than card at times. There needs to be a better system in place.

They do offer many different ways of paying the fare there are an assorted amount of cards you can buy at newsagents and convenience stores. I am sure the machines that could give change would slow the the queues down to much. I never understood why the machines were never fitted with digital counters.

But the busmen to have change or a float is a no-no, they have to go into some dangerous parts of dublin.

or a prepaid swipe card that can be recharged (not disposable or one time use)

They actually do have that now. https://www.leapcard.ie/

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I've often seen charity boxes where you can put them in if you have any. That's a good idea, most people won't bother claiming but'll still put it in the purse/pocket. Better than them going to waste. :)

Not a donation point on the bus but charities have been advertising for years for people to give them their change tickets.

I never seen them, but most people discard them with the ticket. People would put them into a special retainer on the bus as they get them.

But I can't see Dublin bus going for such a system.

• Advertisement

bus is crap anyway :mad: supposed to be every 20 minutes I think, lucky if it comes once an hour. Not only is the train cheaper, takes more kind of change..... rant rant rant.

Buffman wrote: »

Holy sh!t is that integrated ticketing, this has only taken a 100 years, well done to all the incompetence involved in finally getting us here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

bus is crap anyway :mad: supposed to be every 20 minutes I think, lucky if it comes once an hour. Not only is the train cheaper, takes more kind of change..... rant rant rant.
    ...so then why'd you try to get the bus in the first place? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Buffman wrote: »
    Leap Card, no?

Ah... good the have something then.
    Last time I used a bus was a while ago

ignore above rant of an old man :)

Daemos wrote: »
    ...so then why'd you try to get the bus in the first place? :confused:

Cos although the bus stop(best one to actually get a bus on time) is say, 10 minutes walk, 15 minutes, the train station is almost an hours walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Worked in a news agents years ago near a bus stop and it had a sign " bureau de change" in the window. You guessed it ...... What do you mean you dont give change? It's says ...... OMG another clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

DB have a charable fund which they pay out of every year based on unclaimed refunds

DB have a charable fund which they pay out of every year based on unclaimed refunds

I see, to be honest I assumed they kept it. Nice to know.

Ye, it's a good way to use the money. Any group can apply, only limit is that they have to be in the DB service area.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/Community-Events/Community-Support-Programme/What-is-CSP/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

This is pure sh1te, hear it all the time about Dublin Bus.

Dublin Bus is a great service and has gotten much handier since the introduction of the electronic timetables phone apps etc. I get the bus all during the week sometimes three or 4 different buses a day and they're always on time, maybe once in the blue moon one will be cancelled. Pisses me off when somebody who gets the bus once a month or something starts giving out when the buss doesn't collect them at their front door at the exact time they'd like to be collected like they're fcking Cinderella. Yes the prices are getting out of hand(due to government pulling their subsidies) and sometimes the drivers can be pigs(they're bus drivers not limo drivers) etc but overall it's an efficient service.

Bus wouldn't give me change >.<
    Of course not, its a mechanical device that is designed to transport people, you should have asked the driver! :pac:

Dublin Bus is a great service and has gotten much handier since the introduction of the electronic timetables phone apps etc. I get the bus all during the week sometimes three or 4 different buses a day and they're always on time, maybe once in the blue moon one will be cancelled. Pisses me off when somebody who gets the bus once a month or something starts giving out when the buss doesn't collect them at their front door at the exact time they'd like to be collected like they're fcking Cinderella. Yes the prices are getting out of hand(due to government pulling their subsidies) and sometimes the drivers can be pigs(they're bus drivers not limo drivers) etc but overall it's an efficient service.

I agree, I mainly drive or cycle, but when I do get a bus it is a clean reliable and a cheap service. So credit were credit is due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Birneybau wrote: »
    How so? I'm intrigued.

you start the day fully mobile, once the bus changes you, you end up a cripple

Except, here its not. Buses do not come on time. This is a fact. Its not a few minutes off, its not a one off thing, they do not come. If they did, I wouldn't complain as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Except, here its not. Buses do not come on time. This is a fact. Its not a few minutes off, its not a one off thing, they do not come. If they did, I wouldn't complain as much.

I'll give that to you to be fair malahide is sh1te for the bus. It's basically the country. But i've always found the timetable to be handy enough out there.

I should do a documentary on Dublin Bus at this stage, i've been on almost all of them. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement