Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus wouldn't give me change >.<

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 GoldDustWoman

That's crazy. I remember one time, I was trying to get into the city before 9 and was running a bit late, someone got on and gave the bus driver a 50 euro note. He delayed for about five minutes while he sorted her change. I think the fare was 1.60 at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

cloud493 wrote: »
    bus is crap anyway :mad: supposed to be every 20 minutes I think, lucky if it comes once an hour. Not only is the train cheaper, takes more kind of change..... rant rant rant.
    Just check out http://www.transportforireland.ie/, which gives bus schedules in real time, and avoid standing around like a pleb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Rabies wrote: »
    As a customer you give money over that is legal tender. Is the receipt they give you back legal tender? Can it used in the local Spar shop on O Connell Street instead of notes/coins? Doubt it.

They should ideally accept notes but bear in mind there's no requirement to give change so then you'd be pissed about having to pay a 5 for a 2.65 journey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

The autofare (big red box you put your coins into when you get on the bus) was brought in in the 90's to stop bus drivers being robbed at syringe point,which was very much in style at the time.

It aint the drivers fault that you boarded the bus with no change,you should've known by now that they can't take notes or give change.

You should consider getting a Leap card,you get a discount on cash fares ~(€2.40 with Leap as opposed to €2.65 cash) and you'll never have to worry about having change for the bus/Luas/Dart ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

They should ideally accept notes but bear in mind there's no requirement to give change so then you'd be pissed about having to pay a 5 for a 2.65 journey...

But you would make sure you had the right change next time.

I can't see a down side for accepting notes.
    Dublin Bus gets more revenue from tourists/noobs means cheaper fares for everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Not a donation point on the bus but charities have been advertising for years for people to give them their change tickets.
    yep the ISPCA do this. I only have about €2's worth to send them though:o as I usually make sure I've the correct fare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I can just imagine the OP:

'Loike OMG bus droiver, Oi loike tewtally need to get to Roly's before they close. Oi'm offering you OVER TWO EURO extra! Go boi yourself something noice!'

Bus driver: 'No.'

OP: 'OMG OMG Oi think Oi'm having a breakdown... somebody call moi therapist!'

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They should just let you on for free if they're not going to take your money.

I understand that the driver cant give you change, but should they not accept notes and give you the tickets with what change you are owed on it, so you can get the refund?

Are they not obliged at all to take notes? Does any one know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Travel 90 OP, it's the biz

And even if you're only getting one bus it's just handier, no messing with change

I'm not sure if these are still sold

I've read about Leap but I don't realy understand it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I got on the bus today, in malahide. My bus pass had run out, I had a 1 euro coin, and a 5 euro note on my person. Its 2.65 into the city centre. And the driver would not give me change to let me buy a ticket. Nor would he just take the fiver as payment, cos I was in a hurry :mad: had to walk all the way to the train station, after waiting half an hour for the sodding bus anyway. Stupid bus. Anyway.... bad bus rant blargh

You were in such a hurry that in a half hour you couldn't walk to a shop and get change? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

I got on the bus today, in malahide. My bus pass had run out, I had a 1 euro coin, and a 5 euro note on my person. Its 2.65 into the city centre. And the driver would not give me change to let me buy a ticket. Nor would he just take the fiver as payment, cos I was in a hurry :mad: had to walk all the way to the train station, after waiting half an hour for the sodding bus anyway. Stupid bus. Anyway.... bad bus rant blargh

So,how did you 'fare' out on the train? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

This is pure sh1te, hear it all the time about Dublin Bus.

Dublin Bus is a great service and has gotten much handier since the introduction of the electronic timetables phone apps etc. I get the bus all during the week sometimes three or 4 different buses a day and they're always on time, maybe once in the blue moon one will be cancelled. Pisses me off when somebody who gets the bus once a month or something starts giving out when the buss doesn't collect them at their front door at the exact time they'd like to be collected like they're fcking Cinderella. Yes the prices are getting out of hand(due to government pulling their subsidies) and sometimes the drivers can be pigs(they're bus drivers not limo drivers) etc but overall it's an efficient service.

I gaurentee where you get your buses has a big reason for your good experiences with Dublin bus.seeing as you have electronic time tables also suggests you live on a busy route possibly near the city centre.

As for where I live our buses are supposed to come every 35 minutes but you can be assured to find 2 coming together every hour.we also have the famous "phantom bus" as its never seen because it never turns up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

EarlERizer wrote: »
    So,how did you 'fare' out on the train? :D

I paid for my ticket, train came 10 minutes later, no bother :3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

leap card ftw

• Advertisement

Around Easter last year, my friend and i were pre drinking before heading to town. He had a bunch of Chocolate money on the table, while having a few drinks i noticed how the larger chocolate money coin looked very like a 50c coin.

I came up with the idea of paying on the bus to town with 3 choco money coins each. The bus came mate hope in, drops in the choco money says town please. I hopped on, choco money got a bit stuck so i had to force it in the slot. Out came the receipt, driver didn't bat an an eyelid, pissed ourselves laughing all the way into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

read the op and then skipped straight to page 5. i'm still wondering how the f'uck boards knocks 5 pages out about the (unmissable) fact that you can't get change on dublin bus:confused:. friday afternooon...sloooooooooow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

cisk wrote: »
    Around Easter last year, my friend and i were pre drinking before heading to town. He had a bunch of Chocolate money on the table, while having a few drinks i noticed how the larger chocolate money coin looked very like a 50c coin.

I came up with the idea of paying on the bus to town with 3 choco money coins each. The bus came mate hope in, drops in the choco money says town please. I hopped on, choco money got a bit stuck so i had to force it in the slot. Out came the receipt, driver didn't bat an an eyelid, pissed ourselves laughing all the way into town.

holy moly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Public transport makes me feel dirty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Public transport makes me feel dirty.

You should probably stop **** on it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ferncat

qz wrote: »
    I saved mine for ages and got twenty quid back. So yeah.

:eek: WOAH I gotta start doing that!!!! I get the bus a lot .;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Ghandee wrote: »
    In Soviet Russia, bus change you!
    Birneybau wrote: »
    How so? I'm intrigued.

Russian Reversal on bus change. Don't sweat it, it's a Russian thing. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Dublin Bus has to require you to have the exact amount... Bus Eireann provides you with change though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Dublin Bus has to require you to have the exact amount... Bus Eireann provides you with change though.

You can't buy buseireann tickets in every second corner shop, and you can claim your change on the ticket but the issue is with notes, Jaysus can you imagine how bad it would be if the bus driver was giving out change and carrying around loads of cash with them.

Maybe it would be easier just to take a fiver off someone to save the person scrambling through coins for five minutes as if this is the first time they've ever had to use money before.

saa wrote: »
    Jaysus can you imagine how bad it would be if the bus driver was giving out change and carrying around loads of cash with them.
    Works fine in other big cities, pay too much: driver hands you change. I think its pure stupid that you cant get change. Luckily I never have to get a buses in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

You should probably stop **** on it so.
    Never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Works fine in other big cities, pay too much: driver hands you change. I think its pure stupid that you cant get change. Luckily I never have to get a buses in dublin.

I'm sure the driver feels ''pure stupid'' when he's being threathened with a blood filled syringe and being forced to hand over all his change,which is what used to happen back in the 90's when the drivers used to give change on Dublin busses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

saa wrote: »
    You can't buy buseireann tickets in every second corner shop, and you can claim your change on the ticket but the issue is with notes, Jaysus can you imagine how bad it would be if the bus driver was giving out change and carrying around loads of cash with them.

Maybe it would be easier just to take a fiver off someone to save the person scrambling through coins for five minutes as if this is the first time they've ever had to use money before.

What?

I get me weekly ticket no problem, paying the Driver with notes... and he gives me the change. Been doing it for years.

Advertisement